What's for Dinner #37 - the School's Back! Sept '18 Edition

Sounds good!

Great! Try a little in the microwave next time… it basically dehydrates the okra and makes it crunchy (also zucchini chips) but you have to be careful towards the end.

Gorgeous presentation with that pinwheel!

1 Like

Christina answered already, but I’ll add that if you have a korean market nearby, there are a lot of bean pastes in the gochujang area that aren’t spicy - actually even my current gochujang isn’t. The doenjang I bought was a garlic version that’s similar to one they serve with korean bbq. But if you don’t have a korean market handy, miso works too - it’s easier to find these days in conventional grocery stores. Oh, gochujang ketchup is a newish thing - also not spicy, but probably good for meatloaf!

3 Likes

Good Patriots game today. And it was cool enough for football chili. I do a very basic chili, served on elbow noodles, but this time added a couple of squozen sweet Italian sausage to the mix. Lots to feed the freezer for meals in the winter. Tonight’s dinner topped with grated sharp cheddar and sour cream.

Also made a quick salad - Romaine, sliced cukes and radishes, along with minced red onion. Dressing was a creamy peppercorn-herb dressing using both Penzeys creamy peppercorn blend and their fine herbs blend, along with sour cream and mayo.

There was wine.

12 Likes

I picked up a Costco roasted chicken and enjoyed some of that with wild rice and a tomato salad. Quiet evening waiting for the new season of Shameless. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

:wine_glass:Rooster

6 Likes

YUM! Salad looks so appetizing as well.

2 Likes

that rice idea is genius. will try that next time!

Fattoush (with unintentionally over-spicy pepper from the garden, fail), seared salmon with za’atar and Urfa pepper (strange off flavor…Aldi?), and half an ear of COTC.

20180909_205739

11 Likes

Looks tasty! I love fattoush…

I bet those peppers would be good roasted and in dips (muhammara? Or romesco with a kick?)

3 Likes

I’m kind of Freaking Out over the fact yesterday and today were decidedly cool… seems to go from fall to freezing and snow at lightning speed here.
Found a random mini farmers market yesterday on my bike ride and picked up a few better looking tomatoes that I made into another batch of fatoosh! Photo was before i tossed it all together image|700x700

Big salad of All The Things tonight, there’s some tofu in the bottom, then lots of olives, cilantro (with too many stems of course), red onion, cucumber, the last little tomato, and i added a miso tahini dressing after the photo. Kombucha a la carte.

9 Likes

Impromptu chinatown lunch trip with friends ended in shopping for gorgeous fresh veggies. Horrible subway ride back thanks to delays and rerouting… I was tired and hungry and wet when I got back so I steamed some of the snow peas for a snack and had them with leftover takeout japanese dressing - copied from last night’s snow pea salad at a japanese restaurant.

Dinner is more steamed snow pea “salad” with king trumpet mushroom “yakitori” - sliced king oyster mushrooms marinated in tare sauce and pan seared. I love these mushrooms!

14 Likes

I copied!

Ooh, yum! Mouth watered.

1 Like

I ran into subway problems yesterday… never fun.
Those mushrooms… :heart_eyes:! Seriously one of my favorite of all mushrooms

1 Like

Yours makes a better photograph! Very into it right now.

weekend in Dillon Beach was a huge success - everything - the weather, the food, the company - was just perfect and fun as hell. lots of leftover food, too, and the BF is sauteing chicken i marinated that we forgot to cook. Leg of lamb came out PERFECT, i must say. A friend brought a Moroccan carrot salad and eech - an Armenian rice and tomato dish. We had fresh and grilled oysters Saturday at Marshall’s, plus crab, halibut and pulled pork sandwiches, fish tacos, and halibut ceviche, with lots of rose & bubbly to wash it all down. Another friend made lobster bisque from lobster stock she’d frozen from our months-ago lobster party - that, toasty bread, butter, and more Greek salad was last night’s dinner. we had bacon and eggs for bfast, and fruit, and a “snack” on the way home of charcuterie, chips and trout dip and the best clam chowder I’ve ever had, at the newly reopened William Tell Hotel in Tomales Bay. Pimm’s Cups and vino there too. I’m exhausted and oversated, but happy.

last pic is the weekend’s leftover chicken, pilaf and ratatouille the BF plated up for dinner, which i did not need.

happy end of weekend!

Halibut%20ceviche%20at%20Marshall's

22 Likes

Full. Stop. :grin:

That looks amazing!

2 Likes

Unbelievable! Amazing. Totally fabulous.

3 Likes