What's for Dinner #37 - the School's Back! Sept '18 Edition

We like Shameless. Remember turning a friend on to it. He said he felt like he needed to take a shower after watching it

1 Like

Total guilty pleasure. But I am a big W H Macy fan for many yrs and the actor who plays Lip is so good.

The family kitchen table scenes are always a gas. What the heck are they eating, lol.

3 Likes

One of my favorite shrooms.

1 Like

Dammit Maria , and I am trying to make a omelette like Jacques Pepin. Lol. I really am .Fabulous as always.

2 Likes

I always read the WFD dinner threads but rarely post! I really need to contribute more.

Tonight was seared scallops with a brown butter lemon parsley sauce, over rice, with dilled carrots. I made Dover sole for DH and the kids, but I don’t eat fish, so scallops for me. Their sauce for the fish was the same as mine, only with a splash of cream.

It’s been crazy hot here the last couple days. Last night I wasnt in the mood to heat up the kitchen, so I went with a light dinner of rasam, which is a South Indian spiced tamarind broth. (The leaves you see are curry leaves.) Served it with rice, sautéed cauliflower, and chicken nuggets because the kids don’t do cauliflower (one of the few veg they don’t like).

Thursday I had gone to the Asian market with my mom and picked up some fresh Shanghai style noodles, so that was dinner. I sauteed some sliced chicken breast with chopped garlic and ginger, then added in dark soy sauce and oyster sauce, cabbage and chopped green onion. Added the noodles and a cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce. Came out great. Pan fried some TJs pork potstickers on the side too, and ate the noodles and potstickers with some Chilli Crisp.

Taco Tuesday meant Shrimp tacos and 7 layer dip. The shrimp was rubbed with chili powder, cumin powder, cayenne and lime juice and left to marinade for about 20 minutes. Then they were sauteed in a skillet for a couple minutes on medium high heat until done. The slaw was just cabbage with sour cream, salt and fresh lime juice. Nice and simple to beat the heat!

23 Likes

Nice! Now you must post more often!:tropical_drink:

8 Likes

Nice pierno de lamby…it all looks so booudafl!

1 Like

La Shana Tovah …
Wishing all a very healthy, prosperous and year filled with love for all!
(PS…my paternal grandmother brought those candlesticks with her in 1905 when she emigrated to the US from what today is the Ukraine)

18 Likes

That noodle pic!

3 Likes

Big mess o’ meat last night. Two pork shoulders totaling 17 lbs on the smoker at 225 for 6 hours, then overnight in the oven at 190. I was anticipating they’d be done around noon, but 190 was apparently too low to get them past the stall, so I turned up the heat a bit and gave them another 4 hours. After a two hour rest, they were the most succulent shoulders I have made to date. I’ll do them this way any time I have time for it going forward! I removed the fat as I pulled the meat and crisped it in a skillet, then mixed the cracklings back in. OMG.

As a sandwich on a brioche bun with spicy slaw:

Thank goodness this stuff freezes well. DH will plow through quite a bit for lunches this week but two full shoulders are beyond even his capabilities!

14 Likes

Those shrimp look succulent!

1 Like

Thanks. They were very good quality (from Whole Foods) and I took care not to overcook them. The tortillas were the small kind, about 4” in diameter, so I got a piece of shrimp in each bite!

3 Likes

I love using those small tortillas!

2 Likes

Oh my God, yes. In China, we walked a lot, burned off everything. I could eat a bowl of noodles, go straight to bed, and wake up hungry. I thought Japan would be easier. But my desire for “immersion” got the better of me. The subway station was more than a kilometer away from our AirBnB. Then one day I took us to the “real” suburbs to see how “average” Japanese folks live. It started great, but we found out bus stops were at least a mile apart and the buses didn’t go where we wanted to go. We had to backtrack to our original bus stop. We ended up walking at least 5 miles on that excursion, a total of 10 miles that day if electronics gadgets are to be believed. Looking back, it was a great experience, but miserable while we were in the midst of it.

1 Like

Last week, on the final day of the heatwave, we steamed some corn and made pesto shrimp. Dessert was from Sacre Sucre, the best pastry shop in Baltimore. A pistachio macaron and a matcha pound cake, enrobed with white chocolate, and filled with coconut ganache.

Next day the weather switched gears from oppressive to miserable. It’s still cold and wet today. The positive is we could use the oven without heating up the house. Roast chicken with herbs, baked steel cut oatmeal, and the first banana bread of the season. I did not like the baked steel cut oatmeal, but half of the bmorecupcake household is on a strict diet, so we’re trying to find healthier dessert-ish options.

Also, we were gifted the Egyptian dish Koshari(كشرى). Each component was prepared expertly, and the sauces were packed separately. It’s obvious when someone really cares about food. It made me feel special.

16 Likes

Very nice and a fun food story taboot. Pls explain the dish with sauces.

1 Like

What a precious family heirloom to have…! Happy new year to you and your family :))

I just watched a show about Egypt on “A Cook Abroad”!

Dave Myers’ Egypt

2 Likes

Everything looks AMAZING. Glad you had such a great weekend!

1 Like

I missed that…?