What's for Dinner #37 - the School's Back! Sept '18 Edition

Open-faced chicken cordon bleu with leftover cauli pilaf seared with zucchini matchsticks, salad, COTC

11 Likes

the only thing i’ve “cooked” this entire week was this tuna salad, for my lunch, using leftover tuna from my Nicoise of last week (packed it in oil, it was good as new.) Anchovies thrown in, for good measure.

been out every night, or just ate a big lunch to tide me over because i had two classes that got me home late. this weekend BF and I are celebrating our 16th anniversary, going to friends’ Stinston Beach home by ourselves. can’t wait. we’ll cook there, most likely. I snagged a ton of leftover carnitas from our office lunch today, so that may be tacos tomorrow night when we arrive, pre-cocktails and jacuzzi! also have a giant-ass pork chop already brined that we’ll grill on Sat.

15 Likes

Have a great anniversary get-away!

:sparkling_heart::tada:

5 Likes

Congrats, best to you!

2 Likes

Looks delicious. You cook really nice meals every night.

1 Like

Beautiful Moussaka…

1 Like

Best wishes for a great weekend…!!!:birthday: :cocktail:

2 Likes

Long day with Mom appointments. More to come with stuff to do for Mom over the next couple of days.

But I had remembered to take out some sirloin tips last night to defrost, and I tossed them into a quick marinade when I got home that consisted of olive oil, lots of fresh lime juice, minced garlic, whole grain mustard, salt and pepper. Grilled on the grill pan and finished in the oven.

Baked tater with buttah, salt-n-peppah, and the required big-ass dollop of sour cream alongside. And steamed green beans with toasted almonds.

Wine. And back up tomorrow to try and get some more things done.

14 Likes

Have a WONDERFUL anniversary weekend! :revolving_hearts::heart_decoration::two_hearts:

3 Likes

Aw, shucks, thank you. I overcooked the chicken!

Sometimes when I can’t face prep with a fussy, opinionated 16-month old - or the cleanup - we go out :slight_smile: Probably more than is advisable.

3 Likes

You are a trooper and dutiful daughter!

7 Likes

I found the watermelon man!! He had moved from his old spot to one a few blocks away which i came across by accident. They were all so massive it was comical! The one my meteocard is ontop of must have been 40lbs.

This was the one I wrestled home (i hate the hideous counters so much!)

Dinner was a savory yogurt with scallions and a bit of sesame oil and peppery mix followed by a big bowl of watermelon! I brought my good friend and neighbor a huge wedge of it, really delicious sweet and crunchy one.

13 Likes

Oh for crying out loud Trock. I have nothing to say but fabulous.

1 Like

Impressive as ever! Did you save me a piece?:grin:

1 Like

Happy anniversary. Enjoy!

1 Like

Leftover rice with a few added ingredients. Same with the cucumber salad . Yadda yadda . Grilled chicken with that secret recipe. Wine to drink. :wine_glass:Cheers.

11 Likes

Small but heavy pan, let it sputter till the water evaporates and the milk solids settle. I usually make ghee, which is a step further - let the solids and scum/impurities settle (low heat & watch carefully, you don’t want the solids to caramelize or burn), then strain it through cheesecloth or a coffee filter set in a strainer.

Lasts a long time on the counter or even longer in the fridge - easier to do a whole package of butter at a time.

3 Likes

Wow, you are strong!

2 Likes

Niiiiice! Where is this fabulous watermelon man?! (Though I don’t know I could wrestle one of those home…)

He was on lenox and 139th i think- might have been 140th, on the northeast corner. He had big cut wedges too, but his are absolutely the best i have had in nyc so whatever I don’t manage to eat before this one goes south i’ll just turn into juice (with cucumber and lemon)

1 Like