What's for Dinner #37 - the School's Back! Sept '18 Edition

WOWZAH! All the food looks amazeballs.

1 Like

Thanks! Watermelon granita is pretty good for using up a big one too!

I cut up half the last TJ’s behemoth for my building staff… single person food solutions :joy:

3 Likes

Steelhead trout, pan seared with oven roasted string beans and slivered almonds with a side salad. '12 Kosta Browne Pinot in the glass

7 Likes

I’m thinking of getting one for outdoor usage. Is it powerful enough for high heat wok cooking or deep frying?

This time I just used it for scrambled eggs. It’s been a while since I used it extensively.
I’ve boiled water for pasta and for washing dishes but it took a bit of time. I don’t think it will get hot enough for restaurant level wok cooking. I believe mine gets 7,000 BTU’s.

I do like how the flame is usually strong enough to use out of doors with out it blowing out easily.

Sorry I don’t have a more definitive answer. A quick look online and I saw several models that are rated 15,000 BTU and one around 24,000 btu.

Thx. I will try to read more. My aim is to use my round bottom wok which is useless with induction at home. I can use it indoors, if there is flame-wind problem.

I hope you find one that works! I’d think you must miss being able to use your wok.

If you can look at any in a brick & mortar store try to bring your wok. I’ve noticed different size and formed grates around the flame area.

1 Like

The stuffed peppers baked in leftover pizzaiola sauce. I threw some pre crumbled blue cheese on top the last 10 mins. just to use it up and add that bit of zip; worked out nicely. Vino and citrus salad.

Since i got a big head start making the peppers yesterday, I spent today market hopping for all sorts of stuff. Picked apples at the farm and worked in a flu shot ta boot!

Cheers all🥃 Rooster

7 Likes

Happy Anniversary @mariacarmen, always enjoy your posts!

2 Likes

I believe the one I purchased before ( that caught fire ) was an Iwatani 35FW . Customer review says great for Wok cooking.

• Super High Power 15,000 BTU STOVE with solid brass burner
  • Magnetic Locking System for easy connection and safety
  • Automatic Safety Stop - Advanced regulator design shuts off the flow of butane which extinguishes the flame if the pressure in the canister rises to unsafe levels.
  • Built-in Double Windbreaker protects flame from wind and air conditioning
  • Comes with Carrying Case
  • Made in Japan

Now that I am reading the FAQ, it states that only butane gas made by Iwatani should be used for maximum safety. Initially,we bought their butane canister, later, we found very cheap ones at H Mart, purchased those. Perhaps that is the problem .

I also found another Iwatani

Iwatani Cassette Feu TOUGH MARU CB-ODX-1 (Black)【Japan Domestic Genuine Products】 【Ships from Japan】

It is black,rather expensive at amazon for either 185 free S/H or 124 + 60 shipping/
I wander what is the difference between the 2 models?
I just sent Iwatani an email.
Hope to get an answer.

2 Likes

Grilled chicken banh mi sandwich. Macaroni , and cucumber salad. Wine to drink :wine_glass:Cheers .

8 Likes

why not look into an all clad flat bottom French wok?
I love mine, would not part with it
You can also by a dome cover .
It is seasy to clean, stay cool handle, gets hot fast.
The open stir fry, or flat bottomed wok, is designed to quickly cook a variety of meats and vegetables on its large surface area. The pan’s deep, sloping sides make it ideal for mixing and tossing ingredients without spills and keep meats and vegetables in the pan’s center for easy incorporation of sauces and seasoning.

1 Like

I have a Staub cast iron wok, I find it very slow to heat up, especially the side, I seldom use it. I have a 16" paella pan, which I use it like a wok on the induction, it works quite well. For the portable stove, I would like to use it especially for deep fry (eg. tempura) at the exterior. One of the problem of my open kitchen, I have a hood installed but we have no right to have an external venting. So far, I tried my best to avoid cooking with too much smoke (sticky wall, furniture).

Tonight, only bread and a lot of cheese and some tomatoes, olives and garlic confits. I was busy all day running small errands. Originally, I have planned to make the Shanghainese mooncake for dinner, time was running late, I panicked with the complicated flaky dough folding process, will continue tomorrow. (Fingers crossed!)

I did make a lime apple sorbet with orange zest with basil (recipe of Pierre Hermé). First time that ice-cream machine worked correctly. (I have it for years!)

7 Likes

A cast iron wok is not that useful in a home environment because it takes so long to heat up, and so long to cool down. You could consider something like this: wok induction burner. Or, as ccj said, a flat bottomed wok. If you get an induction burner made for woks, then you can pick up a cheap cast iron wok in the 13ème, which is where I got mine.

1 Like

I gotta know- how much for the watermelon? I watched a lady pay $15 for one at the grocery store.

Ah! a powerful and quiet fan is what. you need.

He actually told me $15 at first, and then i gave him some new yorker attitude so i got it for $10 :)) wasn’t the usual guy working the stand.

6 Likes

Watermelon haggle…love it.

3 Likes

Dinner tonight was scrambled eggs with Yukon gold hashbrowns, a toasted dark rye bagel with hummus and TJs bottled carrot juice.

I had a very delicious poppyseed danish from the eastern european market nearby and way too much coffee for breakfast while visiting family. So, a breakfast for dinner must have been a carryover.

The weather was fantastic for the first time in months. I didnt want to come indoors.

:sun_with_face:Rooster

6 Likes