What's for Dinner #37 - the School's Back! Sept '18 Edition

Should we have scored the skin to keep it from rolling up like that?

son is away so, am not cooking. Came home from the airport Saturday, ordered a medium size deluxe ledo pizza to take out. Requested to replace the hamburger and onions with anchovies, and pineapple. Also asked for precooked bacon. I was shocked to find the dough partially cooked on arrival at home. Called to complain, was told to return it or get 50% off towards my next order. I was not about to drive 30 minutes back,. So, their advise is to turn the oven on high, preheat a metal pan before cooking the pizza again. . Advised that next time I order, to ask for precooked crust. I have never heard of such nonsense. Before Ledo was franchised, it was located at University Blvd close to U of Md. Weekends, it is not unusual to see a crowd, waiting in line for a block to get in. The crust was always crispy, and when it became franchised, I never had problem with the crust. Anyway, took 3 days for me and Luna my pom to consume that pizza. Wolfie is with my son in Amsterdam.

So, today, decide to make chicken salad , goal is not to cook. . Made a huge bowl. 2 packages of Costco’'s chicken breast, poached, 4 tins of drained fruit cocktail, 4 small Granny Smith apples, 5 beets, 3 potatoes and mayonnaise. I guess I will not be cooking for the next days. It taste yummy although most of my friends are turned off with the idea of chicken and fruit cocktail. This was one of the dishes made by the famous Selecta Restaurant in the Philippines when my aunt had her coming out party back in the 50’s. It was my husband’s favorite food when we went hiking as there is protein, fruit, carbohydrate all in one. I usually serve it chilled, so would stick it in the freezer before hiking trips.

5 Likes

La Shana Tova back at ya PHREDDY

I made stuffed mulberry leaves. My Syrian grandmothers recipe

I had made these awhile back and froze them. Thought they would be an easy meal between getting home from work and heading to shul.

14 Likes

1/4 cup is a lot.
I understand there are only 2 tablespoon in each package.
I purchased the duo today, arriving Monday from amazon
I did not purchase any yuzu juice , perhaps can substitute with 3 tablespoon lime juice and 1/2 tablespoon OJ
Did the recipe turn out good?
I doubt if I will follow that recipe, it cost too much , $15.00 worth.

It was tasty! I think a juice sub would be fine. Maybe you can find sour orange juice at a local Latin market?

Every now and then I like to tackle a fussy recipe exactly as written. Even if it’s something I can do well, it’s still fun to taste other perspectives. I’ve been looking at this recipe for a while and finally managed to track down the mushroom powder: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2018/05/extra-crispy-fried-chicken-with-caramelized-honey-and-spice.html

It was worth it just for the honey caramel sauce. I’ll definitely be using that for desserts and trying it with stronger flavored savories like fried liver/gizzard. But it’s just too overpowering for chicken, much like the spice dust. Even with a very light drizzle, and very light sprinkle of the spice dust, I’m not convinced it adds anything; I’d rather use regular honey or Mike’s Hot Honey. The spice dust is wrong. I even sprinkled some fried chicken with just porcini mushroom powder, but it fell short of the promised savory experience. The pieces sprinkled with just salt were by far the best.

It was also worth it to experiment with 00 flour vs AP flour. The batch with 00 flour was noticeably better and lighter. With AP flour (like in the picture above), some cragglies were almost too hard to eat after sitting on the draining rack a while. I’ll use 00 flour next time I make chicken-fried steak.

11 Likes

Yum, fun to read your report

Tonight was kinda light. Breaking fast with the classic bagel, lox, cream cheese and capers and my wife’s oven baked French toast with a fresh blueberry and strawberry glazed topping.

Not her usual pecan glazed full pan one but it was just the two of us and the torn bread method and the berries made kinda lighter

6 Likes

Most of this week off (worked Monday only, except for the daily Email check).

Antiquing in Dover & Rochester, NH: a complete and utter bust. Not even anything of interest. NOTE to those stores that call yourself “antique stores”: “antiques” does NOT mean “country cutesy” crap. Just sayin’.

Purchased at Calef’s Country Store in Barrington, NH: some local Honey Crunch mustard made in Gilmanton, NH that I wasn’t sure was even sold anymore, mint jelly, and 3-year aged cheddar. :::Shrug::: Wasn’t the day I had expected, but at least I was out and about.

Dinner was decided on the way home; Baked Penne with meat sauce and a salad with Buttermilk-Herb Dressing. And wine.

11 Likes

Was hanging out with my favorite six year for a bit this afternoon, after the park we unintentionally crashed story time at the library while searching for new Lego books and then he helped me pick out tomatoes at the store and yogurt for his snack

I am boring and made more fatoosh, pita chips and chickpeas in the bottom to soak up the flavors before i tossed it. Forgot to get cilantro…

7 Likes

What is this? Sounds interesting.

+100

I’ll see your gripe and add one of my own - sales of new stuff like Scentsy, Pampered Chef, etc.

2 Likes

Catch and cook. I always release these trout , but today I wanted fish for dinner . Floured , pan fried in butter. Very tasty and my favorite part is the crispy skin. Basmati rice , the roe on top . I do like the sweet Chile garlic sauce with my rice . Cucumber and onion salad with rice vinegar , sugar , and , water dressing . Wine to drink. Cheers :wine_glass:. ! On the fly. 20180918_095303|393x700

16 Likes

Grilled or pan-fried whole trout is one of my favorite things :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Lamb stuffed orange peppers, not sure about the rest yet.

I found a recipe for whats called French melting potatoes that sidetracked my food brain.

Whats the best way to clarify a stick of butter?

3 Likes

I just did it a few days ago. Melt the butter in a small sauce pot with low heat, when some white foam starts forming on the top from the golden liquid, use a strainer (see below) to get rid of all the mousse, there you get clarified butter.

2 Likes

Ok. I own a mini strainer use it for the bar setup. Thxs

Mushroom with a coffee sabayon with scallion and flower for entrée, Tuesday dinner. I was curious about a chef recipe I found in a magazine. The dish was memorable, but we couldn’t decide to like or dislike it. Or maybe both. The unsalted sabayon was great, but probably better for a dessert and with sugar added.

Followed by a pan fried veal liver and onion confit with a splash of apple cider.

Yesterday dinner was all fish, starting with merling cooked with an black olive tapenade and dried tomatoes. Green salad and green tomatoes zebra

Followed by sole cooked with tomatoes

Tonight was probably our last Greek meal for a while. Originally I wanted to make pastitsio. Problem: Mr. naf dislikes baked penne. Last minute change, I switched to a moussaka recipe. I used the recipe of Felicity Cloake from the Guardian

The only difference I used a mixture of minced pork and beef instead of lamb specified in the recipe.

14 Likes

I wound up eating lunch at a local taco joint so the stuffed peppers are on ice until tomorrow. Better the next day anyway.

D, Handful of mixed nuts, my first Mcintosh apple of the season and a glass of cider.

2 Likes

Wow what a stunning array of tasty meals.

1 Like

That all looks fantastic!

1 Like