What's for Dinner #37 - the School's Back! Sept '18 Edition

I see yours!

Most (including mine!) just say posted, joined, and read!

Chinese blocks are loooong. One block is at least 1km long. If there was no metro nearby I took a taxi after I realised how long a block was.

I usually stay outside of the centre as it is cheaper and less busy. Photos below are of my lodging in Spitsbergen, 2km from the centre and there’s no bus. I walked to and from the centre twice a day, about 30 mins each direction. One of these buildings was where I stayed.

Seen from a distance, with mountains for scale. Photo taken on a hiking excursion with a guide. You are not allowed to walk outside of the settlement on your own without a riffle.

At the very end of the guesthouse buildings. Just wilderness. So nice to be walking around without seeing a face, even during the day.

Always take the stairs (photo: Seoul train station). Seoul underground is far-flung and enormous. Takes a long time to walk to another line. In both Korea and Japan we eat mostly some meat, fish, vegs and rice. In Japan I ate so much sashimi and ramen and a lot of walking. We both lost over a kilo each.

10 Likes

might not be able to travel bec the ticket is for thursday, at 12:15AM for Saturday wedding.
Airline might extend ticket or give credit as he is going back in October ( business trip)
If the hurricane changes direction, then he can travel otherwise, it is too dangerous for him to leave bec of the boat ( unless we can find a marina with a travel lift and storage)
Another issue is the extensive work to get my pom’s export import permit. It has to be within 10 days of travel. The permit just arrived Monday, expires Thursday after preparing extensive requirements.
Thanks and hope everybody is safe

How far are you from the coast?
+1 on checking in on the neighbor!

2 Likes

Astoria, Queens, New York City

2 Likes

I’m in Raleigh. “As the crow flies” I’m about 100 miles from the closest coastline. We are the largest city in the region so many evacuated come here. Since Raleigh is the state capital I feel municipal services get restored a little faster.

Winds should drop once it moves inland. Clay soil can’t handle that sort of rain. We still have communities recovering from hurricane related river floods from last year.

The state has now issued mandatory evacuations for the OBX - usually evacuations are issued by local officials. There is already ocean overwash on the highway in some areas.

On a food related note farmers are hustling to harvest what they can before the storm arrives.

2 Likes

I have a cousin who live in Raleigh…and he says they will be fine…But as he said you never know…so they are prepared. Much like you…

2 Likes

Wishing everyone in the path of Florence well

5 Likes

@meatn3 @ccj @emglow101

Take care, be safe, stay well!

5 Likes

Tried a few Greek recipes by Dina Nikolaou in the latest issue of Régal magazine.

Clams (Sea almond) with burghul (cooked in risotto style) and dill.

I thought I had still some white wine for cooking, but this was none. I opened a small bottle of sake. Used some unripe green tomato to compensate the extra sweetness of sake. Turned out really fine.
IMG_1934

Octopus, baby onions, dried figs (cooked in wine vinegar), with a chilli pepper, green bell pepper, garlic, onion and tomato sauce.

Aubergine gratin with sheep cheese and basil tomato sauce

All of them are very good, will make them again.

19 Likes

Rice noodles with nuoc cham and herbs, based on this recipe.

13 Likes

Mish mosh vegetable dinner tonight cleaning out the fridge.

Microwave okra “fries”, fennel panzanella, and boiled peanuts. Found the peanuts while running errands in Harlem, for a fraction of the chinatown price. Weird. But tasty!

12 Likes

thanks , keeping my fingers crossed.

1 Like

Thinking of everyone dealing with hurricanes and fire and everything in between - stay safe!

6 Likes

Ha! I know those peanuts are everywhere…! Seriously all the local grocery stores and bodegas sell multiple varieties of peanuts in shells

1 Like

I think that’s were my daughter lives! I grew up in Queens, and she just moved there from Brooklyn. And just before that, Bsyviee in SF.

1 Like

My sister lives in Durham. They are battening down the hatches!

Heading to Greece shortly!

3 Likes

Last night was rather unpleasant, potentially related to the fact i ate too many of the gorgeous fancy plums i splurged on…

Dinner was a lot of miso broth and ginger tea.

Better today, had a jam jar of reisling and a random salad kit thing that was ho-hum and included flakey dried tomatoes, broccoli slaw, crunchy chickpeas and crunchy things. Swapped in my own dijon vinegrette, dressing that came with it was weird too sweet

9 Likes

Ok, you sold me on the microwaved okra. That looks excellent

2 Likes