What's for Dinner #37 - the School's Back! Sept '18 Edition

Yum yum yum!!!

I only meant I was quickly scrolling through posts and came to a full stop when I saw your pictures, especially what looked like a tomato salad (was that fattoush?)…and I’m not a huge fan of tomato salads. But I made one last night!

From the always definitive Quora

" “Full stop” describes punctuation like the period. It’s useful when dictating a text to someone.

Ex.

Bob: “The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog, full stop. Never eat shredded wheat.”
Bill writes Bob’s dictation as: “The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. Never eat shredded wheat.”

It’s also used as a pretentious idiom used to indicate emphasis. It means “I’m serious about this.”"

4 Likes

My little corner of the world is going nuts with hurricane preparations. Stores are out of bread, bottled water, bananas, etc. A couple of kids were having a meltdown in one grocery when their Mom informed them tortillas or pita were the only sub for loaf bread.

Over 30 people with carts full of propane tanks at Costco waiting to be refilled. 30 Minutes in line for gasoline.

At least everyone is taking it seriously!

Stopped by my elderly neighbor to see what her plans were. She wants to stay in her home so I helped her make a list (charge cell phone, renew prescriptions, get cash, etc.) She was good on pantry items, batteries and ice!

6 hours later my feet and back were tired and I was starving. So dinner was a frozen dinner picked up at my last grocery in my quest for a loaf of bread.

11 Likes

:blush:

1 Like

Lightened-up chicken adobo with summer squash over caulirice. Green salad with peaches and leftover fattoush dressing on the side.

6 Likes

This may be off topic’
I am over 1000 miles away , yet our pier is under water ,as of. yesterday with the storm predicted to have an 8’ surge if it hits us.
Busy preparing for finding a place for our boat to park as my son is leaving on Wednesday for Amsterdam with lots of preparation to bring my pom with him ( USDA vet certificate, endorsed by USDA Feds in Albany etc etc). to attend a wedding on Saturday. They may not be able to travel now.
Afraid that the boat may get damaged if it its the top of the boat house, and anchoring it is useless as the anchor will not hold with storm.
have to find a marina with a travel lift , big enough to hoist it up and with storage capability.

HEADACHE GALORE! cannot even think of food. made a big pot of pork adobo yesterday after the power came back. Should be enough to last me a few days!

2 Likes

I’m glad your son is in town to help you prepare. Hope the boat and travel situations work out.

2 Likes

Scary! Sometimes, I don’t mind the fact that I freeze my butt off for six months of the year!

3 Likes

At least with a hurricane you have enough warning to prepare or evacuate. I was raised on the coast of Florida so I stay pretty prepared all season. I guess much is what you become accustomed to.

I’m inland enough that storm surge and super high winds aren’t an issue. Our soil simply can’t handle massive rain so flooding and downed trees are the biggest danger. Both contribute to loss of power and/or water. I’d rather lose water than power…but am in pretty good shape for both. Just need to buy ice for the coolers at the end of the week. And the elusive loaf of bread!

6 Likes

Stay safe in your corner of the world!

5 Likes

hope you (and your elderly neighbor) stay safe, and don’t remain in your homes if you’re told it’s best to leave! Good luck! keep us posted…

2 Likes

best wishes it all works out!

My sister lves in N.C. . She texts me to ask about fires, while I text her to ask about hurricanes. Son lives in Florida, but it looks like this one is not anticipated there.

And to keep this about food, he made pulled pork last week.

PS I am so curious about where everyone here lives. Should I be able to tell? Sometimes I try to check the get aquainted thread, but is it also an option in our preferences or something? I can’t tell.

3 Likes

You have hurricanes I have fires. Just dealing with it . Cheers . Grilling some chicken thighs, broccoli and a baked potato. Wine to drink .:wine_glass:

3 Likes

In an effort to lighten things up a bit after the excesses of the weekend, leftover Nicoise for me, with a little added Queer Eye avo dip as dressing, and leftover pilaf, chicken, and ratatouille for the BF. Even the BF had some of the Queer Eye dip on his chicken, because that shit makes everything taste amazing.

10 Likes

The yogurt green goddess?

1 Like

yep!

1 Like

Not really to emglow101.

JUST cut up my perfectly ripe avacodo. I will try to adapt.

2 Likes

If you click on the persons avatar you can see the “about” info they set up in their profile. Some have a location, some an email or blog, some specify their cooking interests.

1 Like

I’m no cowboy! I always heed evacuation orders. I liked how some of the state officials out right told those who would not evacuate last year to write their name and ssn on their arm with a Sharpie. Gets the message across in a very graphic manner.

First responders have their hands full without having to deal with those who ignore warnings.

7 Likes