What's for Dinner #37 - the School's Back! Sept '18 Edition

Haha
Takes a bit of patience and it goes quickly at the end so you have to be careful it doesn’t burn

In stores I’ve only seen the roasted ones (in shells). The raw ones which have to be boiled for a while I had only previously seen in Chinatown - until I came across the vegetable guy in Harlem over the summer. You’re saying the stores by you have the raw ones to boil all the time? Nice!

Added a pea leaf salad with leftover snow peas thrown in too - scarfed down before I thought to take a pic.

I had only eaten these gorgeous greens sautéed as a chinese preparation until I had them in salad form at an italian restaurant (which was amazing but short-lived… sigh) - I’m slightly obsessed with them :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Bayview

1 Like

I heard easy to grow into the cool seasons!

I grew up in Floral Park Queens, then lived in Roslyn/ East Hills for 31 years, now here.

my sister and the BF both lived in the Bayview for years (separately, of course!) what brought her there?

1 Like

She was raised in what WE like to call the Bay Area, although some would call it closer to Sacto (have you seen Ladybird? Ha ha). We are still here in Solano County.

She did Americorps (after college in Durham), first Salt Lake City, then landed a “stint” with Americorps under Habitat for humanity in SF.

1 Like

I grew up in St. Albans!

very cool!

Smoked chicken, corn on the cob, summer squash, zin

13 Likes

Salmon, corn, pan-fried potatoes (with oregano and tarragon), salad, strawberries and melon. Salmon and strawberries!? What can I say? I like 90s Californian cuisine.

11 Likes

Tossed a couple chicken leg quarters and wings with cubed potatoes and mushrooms. Slipped in a hot oven until done.

13 Likes

Lentil soup with crusty garlic bread and tossed greens.

Made a batch of rice pudding with oat and coconut milk and a bit of orange rind to enjoy this week.

5 Likes

I went to the new Harris Teeter Supermarket today.
In anticipation of Florence, decided I did not want to cook for a few days.

Purchased over 1.5 pound of Tuna, sashimi quality which I thought would be lunch but will end up as dinner if my son can finish his chores, Also a bag of mahogany clams, 1.5 lb of wild cod, a pound of Argentina shrimp, andouille sausage from my freezer to make Cataplana for dinner with Harris Teeter’s jalapeño cheese bread.

I also bought some chef made macaroni cheese, bacon and jalapeño and a tub of to wings to warm up in the grill should we lost power…

Also went to Giant to get some D’artagnan’s wild boar saucisson . I still have 2 packages of their duck saucisson which I like to eat with cheese. Now, I am all set not to cook except for the cataplana.

Well, it turned out my son had already had lunch and was busy preparing for the storm, so the tuna was dinner and the Cataplana would be for tomorrow. He postponed his trip to Amsterdam which would have been at 12:45AM.

, the storm has moved south and probably will spare DC but Southern Md will still have high tide hoping that the boat will not hit the roof of the boat house . In the meantime, He has changed his ticket to fly Friday afternoon instead and be in Holland Saturday morning., in time for the wedding that afternoon.

As for the 10 day USDA Federal endorsed import export license which expires tomorrow, I called the Feds who told me it is the Dutch who will enforce that law and that they cannot help and extend it for me.

My son managed to got hold of the chief vet supervisor of dogs at Schipol airport who gave permission to give Wolfie 2 days extension, ending Saturday. So, hopefully, they may still travel .

It seems my son has to run to Home Depot for something , so, he must have packed up some wings to eat on the road.

I wander if he will be interested in the tuna when he returns as midnight snack?

7 Likes

Over due happy houring with my bff at my favorite wine bar - they do this awesome “summer of reisling” every year, this is just the page of more dry ones, there’s an entire second smaller page of fruit forward and slightly sweeter ones!

Loved this one

My friend’s glass and the cheese they recommended as a pairing with raisin bread and honey

Too deep in conversation and we tucked our phones away ; shared some crispy chickpeas, homemade potato chips and we both wanted the roasted cauliflower- hers came with an anchovy herb sauce and trout roe, and they were kind enough to make a fishless version for me with crispy capers and fishless herb sauce. And more wine of course.
Then a visit with my favorite almost one year old (!?!) :grin:
I’ll probably have a late night snack, there’s a big honeycrisp apple and some cashew butter on hand

11 Likes

Long meeting at my house. We had pizza.

Might make some smashed cucumbers @Ttrockwood
https://www.hungryonion.org/t/whats-for-dinner-37-the-schools-back-sept-18-edition/14688/15
, now that folks left.
New York Times Chinese Smashed Cucumbers
Hoping lemon cucumbers from the garden will work.

Check out the toad sitting on the leaf!
IMG_20180910_125333

6 Likes

IMG_20180910_125333

7 Likes

Ahh! Fingerlings! I WILL consume carbs if they are in the form of fingerlings!

1 Like

Working on this dressing for one or two servings. Maybe with half a left over avacodo. My H from Jamaica will not eat “pear”! How long can you use this dressing?

1 Like