What's for Dinner #35 - The Summertime In The City July 2018 Edition

I’ m sure it is. Probably vegan too - I’ve never seen honey used in it. But always good to ask. Many southern vegetables have a little “seasoning” aka pork in them!

1 Like

I have adapted a new brilliant one from @Harters , the fantastic FFS which I believe is For Fu$’s Sake. It’s come in handy for when “exasperated” isn’t adequate. :smile:

5 Likes

You’re right. I was of course trying to fill in any number of naughty phrases and it never occurred to me that it was something innocent :innocent:

2 Likes

For added crispness I learned. Add 2 tbls spoons of butter milk to the flour and self rising flour and knead until lumpy . Then put your chicken in and shake off excess. Let stand 5 min then add to your hot grease. Makes total sence .Though I have not tried it . From southern cooking. Flour mixture is 1 cup AP. 1/2 cup self rising 1/2 cup cornstarch

3 Likes

Just prepping dinner. Carrots and broccoli via the Michael Voltaggio microwave method with SV chicken confit in the bath, to be finished stove top

8 Likes

The beauty of modern techniques

2 Likes

A trick I learned from a southerner is to let the chicken sit awhile in the flour (10-15 mins) before shaking off the excess. It allows the flour to hydrate and form a thicker, crunchier layer of coating.

5 Likes

DH made beef with broccoli using short rib, with cauliflower rice.

9 Likes

I am so excited about these new techniques . I just can’t wait to get out and build it again. :rooster::rooster::rooster::poultry_leg::poultry_leg::poultry_leg:

1 Like

I think I’m ruined for any other cut in stir fry now.

The hot is back…
shredded some cabbage, zucchini, a bit of bell pepper, a random carrot and let it sit in some vinegrette a few hours to soften the cabbage. That ended up with some sliced up decent tomatoes i paid too much for (no local tomatoes yet). I ate the half an avocado standing in the kitchen with a spoon a dribble of soy sauce.
Kombucha a la carte, some sliced smoked tofu not pictured

9 Likes

@linguafood, That corn, oooh!

I’d gladly pay too much for some decent tomatoes.

7 Likes

Re SV duck legs, I’ve tried several different times and temps. These days I’m cooking them at 67C, 36 hrs. Without any duck fat added and not brining overnight, btw. There’s a lot of fat when it’s done cooking so I don’t add any.

I’m going to try 64C next, in a 5% salt brine before cooking. Check out this Dutch guy’s SV blog. I read it all the time. He experiments a lot and writes down all the details.

PS: sorry I just saw your question in another WFD thread thinking it was this one and replied here.

2 Likes

Nothing interesting food-wise the last couple of days. Partner asked if we could eat duck leg today but I already had another plan. Steaming the aubergine pieces before adding them to the rest of the food minimises oil absorption. Minced onions, garlic, firm tofu, fermented black beans, some sugar, Laoganma are all the components of this meal. At the end I added a few squirts of liquid smoke.

My home-made Laoganma (made recently).

9 Likes

I was actually asking about how you cooked the beautiful duck breasts in the picture in the WFD thread. We’re having some friends over for dinner next week, and I’m thinking of making duck breast. We get duck breast here much more easily than duck legs.

I just checked my notes. Last line for duck breast I wrote “54C, 2-3hrs”. It’s not final yet. I still want to try another temp and time.

Have you tried this combo?

To be honest, I don’t remember what I tried. But I know that I took it from Kenji on Seriouseats. I’ll look at Kenji’s recommendation again, but I’ll strongly consider 54C for 2-3 hours. Thanks.

Check the thickness of your breasts. Mine are often very thick. If not so thick then reduce the time accordingly.

Kenji also does 54C. I probably used his method.

PS: But I also like duck breast cooked the old-fashioned way. Render the skin side first then sear the flesh side. I haven’t done it lately because I don’t always have the breasts but always have the legs in the freezer.

What I was especially impressed by was the browning of the scored skin. Any advice on how to achieve a similar result?