What's for Dinner #35 - The Summertime In The City July 2018 Edition

Chill the breast first to make it easier to score. You can leave it in the fridge overnight and score just before searing. When the fat is cold it’s a lot easier to work the knife, which should be very sharp and long. Be very careful not to cut through the fat so deep that the flesh is exposed. Sear briefly in a hot pan (I use half oil and half butter) and the skin side only. Watch it like a hawk, though. Don’t underestimate how fast it burns.

May I suggest you test 1 breast first.

My knives. 3 came with me from Korea, plus sharpening stones.

4 Likes

Thanks. I’ll let you know how it works out.

A bit later than I had wanted to leave from work and a long phone call with Sis delayed dinner prep.

Thankfully I had already planned on a boigah for dinnah.

Swiss Cheeseburger cooked with ponzu sauce and a dried garlic powder/herb blend on the grill pan to medium (put the cheese on too late to get it to medium-rare).

Potato chips and wine alongside. The lettuce on the boigah and tomatoes from the ketchup was enough salad for the day.

11 Likes

It was a new recipe for Keto Butter Chicken with Keto Dosa from Headbanger’s Kitchen. His method doesn’ t marinade chicken in yogurt and it is SO much faster than my old recipe and tastes just as good. Hubby and Small Girl Child ate all of it so no leftovers. This is a keeper.

9 Likes

Used the last of a bag of shredded kale and radicchio with some shredded cabbage and massaged it together with a bit of vinegrette, added the random packet of dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds that came with a different salad thing a while back.
Note to self: stop it! You do NOT like dried cranberries in salads!
It was a legit pain in my ass to pick them out as i was eating, I don’t like sweet stuff with my veggies.
Very unphotogenic sliced smoked tofu on the side with my kombucha

9 Likes

Tacos with beans .Wine to drink . :wine_glass: Cheers.

11 Likes

Back to hotter than hell. So my kitchen time is brief.

Last night and tonight had an everything bagel, cream cheese, nova, tomato and capers. Capers because nova just isn’t salty enough. Crenshaw melon for dessert.

9 Likes

You are right! Time for melon, instead of dessert, I like melon with prosciutto!

1 Like

Need to buy a watermelon

1 Like

You’re from Florida. Too long without heat and humidity???

I can give you mine. There is a sudden drop of temperature here. The desire for watermelon is gone now!

Meal the other day:
Strawberry gazpacho of David Kinch (kind of!) Thanks @RuthLafler for the recipe.

Cod and small octopus

Recipe:

11 Likes

ooh, can you point me to the name of the group, please? thanks!

those beans look amazing!

1 Like

Cream cheese and chive scrambled eggs and toasted/buttered English muffin. It’s about all I had the energy to deal with after today’s merry-go-round day.

Oh yeah. There was wine.

14 Likes

Salmon filets grilled with cumin and blackening seasoning. Sides of grilled zucchini with ground coriander and Adobo seasoning and bagged Southwest slaw amped up with arugula-spinach blend, cukes, and tomatoes.

9 Likes

So what did it drop to? I can always eat watermelon

2 Likes

I was on Facebook and saw a box that said. Good Ole Soul Food Recipes . Checked it out. grits, fried fish, casseroles, just off the top . I am in . I like it because there is stuff I would never think about . It’s a giant wfd from mostly the south . Love it . Got great information on the fried chicken.

3 Likes

Happy hour with a friend, surprisingly it was cool enough in the shade to sit outside! Slim pickings on the vegetarian non cheese not deep fried situation for food so we shared some blistered shishitso peppers and a mushroomy flatbread they were nice enough to swap in a herb oil instead of cheese.
Great company and wine.
I’ll have some yogurt and whatever fruit i find with my tea before bed.

3 Likes

thanks, i’ll check it out.

1 Like

Yeah, we moved to Florida when I was a toddler. But I’ve always disliked heat and humidity. My body doesn’t cool off properly so it can become a health issue if I over do it.

I think this part of NC actually feels worse in the summer than Florida since there is less of a breeze. But the plus sides are our summer is a little shorter and we actually get some nice, chilly winter temperatures. Cool enough for me to be comfortable but not overly cold. The downside is not many swimming pools - in Florida you always have access to a pool even if you don’t have your own.

2 Likes