What's for Dinner #35 - The Summertime In The City July 2018 Edition

My idea of heaven! Pasta looks good, too.

Hell yes.

2 Likes

I made it only once hacking together a recipe from Thomas Keller and ???, and it was so good, I am afraid to try again and be disappointed. Did I write down my recipe? Nooooo.

5 Likes

I love everything about this interaction.

1 Like

I made cauliflower fried rice and smacked cucumbers tonight.

We may or may not have gone out for a walk…to ice cream. The local rum raisin is to die for. Or so I hear :wink:

11 Likes

I hold this thread responsible for my dinner indulgence. All the talk of fried chicken set off a craving. My go-to place which had excellent fried chicken just up and closed suddenly last year. I decided I should probably begin a search before the craving reaches the point that I actually attempt to fry chicken at home!

So dinner was at a regional bbq chain called Smithfields. I hedged my bet by getting the combination platter of dark meat chicken, bbq (which in these parts means finely chopped pork sauced with pepper vinegar), average baked beans, very nice cole slaw and hush puppies. The fried chicken was fine but not of the caliper as my lost go-to spot.

The quest continues…if it gets out of control I may need to post a link to a Go Fund Me page to finance a new wardrobe of increased proportions! :blush:

11 Likes

The watermelon man is back!!
So. On the corner of 131st and Lenox ave there’s a guy who sets up a tent and a table. He has half watermelons, whole ones, and jars of chow chow, boiled peanuts, peanuts in the shell, and collard greens that are larger than a toddler.
I talked to him a bit when i found him last summer and his dad is a truck driver and drives a route through the south and brings back what his son sells like twice a week or so.

Obviously i ate a lot of watermelon and pretended that was a meal. Kombucha a la carte.
I’ll have some yogurt and nut butter before bed so I don’t wake up at 3am hungry! (Aka why you are not supposed to have watermelon for dinner)

PS
Do i like chow chow…? Is it spicy?

9 Likes

Guisado de pavo, or Mexican turkey stew. This is the usual prep I’ve been doing for chicken for a little while now, but I had a turkey thigh in the freezer. Turned out great, and especially the rice. Very homey. Salad was iceberg lettuce, scallions, radishes, cilantro and fried tortilla strips, with a dressing of dijon/lemon juice/minced garlic. Made enough guisado to freeze for another night.

11 Likes

If your chowchow is the same as what we buy in Lancaster, it is not spicy. Also, like any food , some people make it much better than others. I didn’t like it the first time (too sweet), but I’ve had very good versions since then.

I just said yesterday I don’t really have cravings, and now all I can think about is fried chicken and heirloom tomatoes.

5 Likes

So I just joined a soul food cooking site on Facebook and asked them to help me make fried chicken . The information coming in is outstanding. I have been doing it all wrong .

5 Likes

Chowchow is an end of the season pickle - a way to use up the last vegetables coming in before the first hard frost. Cabbage, bell peppers and green tomatoes are pretty universal. Onions, carrots or other items may be found in some recipes.

Like any pickled item the recipes can vary but on the whole it is not spicy. Usually there are some red pepper flakes. Once in a while a little ginger or a jalapeno is in the mix. Generally mustard seed is the spice I notice the most.

It is used sparingly as a condiment. Traditionally it is served with soup beans or field peas, so you have control over the level of zip you wish to add. If his version is spicier than you like you could always rinse it as you use it.

2 Likes

Do share (in a post)!

I last tried making fried chicken when I was in college. Gorgeous exterior, raw interior.

Now that I have decades more cooking experience and a better understanding of temperature I think I could probably pull it off. Honestly, it’s the mess that keeps me from wanting to attempt it. Plus I’ve had such excellent fried chicken available locally.

I may revisit the project if my quest doesn’t pan out.

I’m eager to see what you come up with!

2 Likes

Here’s one recipe
Brine chicken overnight in salt water. Rinse and roll in seasoned flour. Get the grease. Love that word to 350. Put in chicken. Do not overcrowd the pan. Cover and cook for about 15 min. If grease gets to hot turn it down. Turn chicken and cook for another 10 min.
Another person told me to turn the chicken alot when cooking.
I am receiving a lot of information.

5 Likes

They were nice. Kinda tasted like fish sticks :-D, which may or may not have had to do with the seasoning and frying them like I did.

Having said that, I’m not sure I’d buy them again. They’re $10.99/lb.

This afternoon is my first band practice after the summer break. My guess is the guys will be rusty.

My man has offered to make burgers if they’re interested, so that’ll likely be WFD tonight. Poker game afterwards is a possibility.

9 Likes

WFD? :wink:

WFD = what’s for dinner

1 Like

Kids these days and their lingo!
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes, I seem to recall I brined, double dipped, and covered!

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll have to pick up a jar next time he has it and ask how spicy it is- looked like a chunky chutney of sorts through the jar. I’m assuming it’s vegetarian…

1 Like