What's for Dinner #34 - June is Bustin' Out All Ovah! Edition - June '18

I stopped to buy my lemons and ginger from the street veggie cart guy (for my kombucha, way cheaper prices and crazy fresh young ginger) and picked up a gorgeous bunch of asparagus too. Surprising since his fresh veg aren’t so great looking usually.
I just steamed the asparagus and chilled it, a bit of salt on top.

Also had some tempeh i just cubed and stir fried with Soyaki and some sugar snap peas, added a bunch of cilantro just before eating it.

11 Likes

@naf, yes, I was able to upload my keto friendly gumbo! Here’s the dry rubbed smoked ribs…

12 Likes

Good descriptor!

1 Like

Wowza! My chili reflexes are kicking in just from the pic :fire:

I have pulled pork from a friend’s wedding that is also multiplying in my freezer. I had it in two individual portions… or so I thought…

1 Like

Your thoughts on purchased cauli rice vs making it? I’ve been lazy bec it’s so convenient, but the mostly stem taste is making me rethink just blitzing it in the FP.

It’s super easy to cut off the florets and blitz them in the fp with the chopping blade. Of course, you then have to wash the bowl but it isn’t sticky or messy.

1 Like

Yes agreed… and the florets taste so much better than the stem…

I have been buying a frozen brand at Costco lately that doesn’t taste TOOOOOO stemmy - and it’s incredibly cheap in comparison to buying fresh heads, which for some reason cost the earth around here.

What is it with pulled pork?! I’ve pretty much stopped making it because there are only two of us, and there is always way too much. Even if I freeze it, we get sick of it. Oh well - maybe in my next life I’ll have more people to feed it to.

2 Likes

You could adopt my husband. I made TWO shoulders last weekend and he plowed through most of it by taking it for lunch every single day. He never gets tired of it!

4 Likes

Wow - that’s impressive!

1 Like

Right? To be fair, we are low carbers, so we eat more meat than the average Joe. And I helped a bit. :slight_smile: But 6 days in a row of pulled pork is more than I can handle. I was impressed with his dedication too!

1 Like

Ditto that - it’s just me, and even when I find the smallest pork butt, it still makes what seems like pounds and pounds of it. I think the last time I made it (several years ago for Independence Day), I ended up tossing the last 2 containers of it about a year later, as I just didn’t want to go there.

1 Like

It’s too messy for me to deal with making regularly. Plus I’m into low-effort food these days. Running on fumes!

1 Like

Before blitzing, remember to cover the lid with cling film. One less thing to clean.

Add some water to the FP bowl, blitz again to rinse. Just don’t pour the water with bits down the drain. I pour it into a cup, add some bouillon powder and even a beaten egg, then microwave until piping hot.

3 Likes

Everyone’s food looks great. I missed eating my own food after only 5 days and wanted to go home (happens on every trip). The night train from Chisinau to Bucharest was interesting. The Soviet train is old and my first class cabin is most simple, the toilet is primitive with no paper or soap. Passport control took longer than changing train wheels. This train trip is proof Moldova is still very much a third world country. But hey, it costs only 73 euros for an interesting experience. Will get to sorting out the last of the photos soon.

Had my first proper home-cooked dinner today. SV duck legs (68C/36hrs), Austrian potato-spelt dumplings and rhubarb kimchi. I made all 3 things only days before leaving for Moldova. Didn’t take me long to put the meal together even from frozen.

Hope the photos turned out, going to have a look now.

Some random photos taken on the last couple of days:

The building is in use but the door is completely unmaintained. The peeling outer layer of the wood gives the door its character.

Around the corner from my lodging. People just set up their “stalls” on the pavement everywhere. Some stalls take over most of the pavement, no space to walk.

We noticed almost immediately the prevalence of money exchangers, pharmacies, hair salons, and of course kwass stands. Especially the first 3. Also, the streets are cleaner than here at home, a Western and “developed” country!

9 Likes

My new favourite kimchi!

Brushed with the gravy (fat in SV bags + caramel, liquid smoke and seasoning etc) and put under the hot grill for 4 minutes.

12 Likes

Keeping it simple

Patagonian scallops, garlic, parsley and angel hair pasta

10 Likes

Ah, great tip, P. Thanks.

1 Like