What's for Dinner #34 - June is Bustin' Out All Ovah! Edition - June '18

What a pleasant restaurant to eat typical Moldovan meals. Price-quality ratio is very good. From my research most Moldovans love it and now the tourists want to check it out, too. It’s a success formula: typical food, very reasonable prices, with a nice atmosphere, employees wear traditional attire. Opens throughout the day and serves all the meals and drinks Moldovans are familiar with. Tables outside are often full, inside is nice and cool and quieter.

This meal costs 10 euros.

Moldovan pie. Also the name of this restaurant chain. Dough is crispy and chewy. I quite like it.

Today I saw how Moldovans eat it. They tear a piece off and eat with their hands, like how Americans eat pizza.

Filled with cottage cheese.

Filled with pork mince.

I’m glad Moldovans eat huge amounts of vegs. There’s feta-like cheese underneath the vegs here, and 3 raw cloves of garlic. Not sure about the butter without any bread.

Entrance

Wine taps.

Tranquil interior. Too bad about the low lighting, though. My camera struggles to focus in this lighting.

Moldovan wine back in my room as soon as I got back. Decent Pinot Noir for 6 euros.

Home-made corkscrew I borrow from the owner.

10 Likes

Shrimp scampi gnocchi with peas and sage. Another easy pantry/freezer meal.

13 Likes

I bought a huge quantity of cilantro and mint at Restaurant Depot last week and needed to use some of it up, so I whizzed up a quick pesto with almonds, parmesan, cilantro, mint, garlic and olive oil. Served it over a grilled skirt steak and some roasted yellow peppers for a quick and easy dinner. Fabulous!

10 Likes

let me know how it turns out. As I said, my spring rolls ( not summer rolls) ingredients are different. Each ingredient is cooked individually, then they are simmered together, cooled before wrapping either in Simex’s wheat wrap or rice paper.
If interested, search for spring rolls. it was written up in March 2017.
I no longer use rice paper to wrap my spring rolls, not since 2011 when my husband passed away as that was made specially for him.

I took some Dutch’s Wicked Baked Beans for a pot-luck tonight. Threw in half pound of pulled pork. Huge hit.

Pot-luck crowd loves this stuff.

4 Likes

Merguez sandwich on ciabatta with arugula, harissa mayonnaise, and cilantro. With a side of pepperonata.

8 Likes

Did you blanch the almonds? This is something that I’m going to have to try.

That looks so good!

1 Like

I happened to have some already-blanched, slivered almonds on hand, so I just used those. I have made pestos with roasted, skin-on almonds before, but the texture isn’t as nice.

A crazy week, lousy weather and not a lot of cooking. We did manage to kabob a leg of lamb Sunday night, cooked over charcoal with home made pilaf and grilled onion, peppers and zucchini. No pictures but it was really good.

Had a bite with my son tonight at our favorite Thai spot. Wings and Bangkok Diced beef to start, Shrimp Himmipan for me and Beef Yum Yum soup for him.
Both very good as always with enough for lunch tomorrow.

12 Likes

Tonight is Negroni with Pulled Pork Nachos.

Tomorrow is Negroni with Cantaloupe Rolled in Prosciutto.

Friday is Negroni and ???

:grinning:
Glad to be posting again, I haven’t been this excited about food in a long time.

12 Likes

That is a terrible story of you getting scammed!

You quail looks very nice though.

Smoked some dry rubbed St. Louis cut pork ribs, maybe the best I’ve ever made. Would love to post a photo but I don’t see the icon/link…

10 Likes

Cod with lemon ,butter, and capers. Boiled potato , and peppers with garlic , lemon juice, o.o, and parsley. Wine to drink .:wine_glass:Cheers.

10 Likes

A relative dropped off (Pakistani) Singaporean Rice. First, apologies to Singapore. No one really knows what relation, if any, this dish has to Singapore. Second, it’ll often be misspelled “Singaporian”, so double apologies to Singapore. Third, it’s white rice, topped with plain noodles, topped with sautéed chicken and vegetables covered in a sriracha mayonnaise type sauce, so apologies to food lovers everywhere. I won’t even pretend like it’s a good example of anything. But, to contradict myself, it’s just one of those things we unapologetically like to eat.

12 Likes

I’ve never seen or heard of this before! Looks like it’s strictly Pakistani, from what I see online?

1 Like

So much carbs, is it good?

This link can help you for uploading photos:

2 Likes

Now that you mention it, I’ve never seen this dish made at an Indian household. Kind of like I’ve never seen Chicken 65 made by Pakistanis. But it’s much harder to generalize with India since there are so many distinct cultures.

Noodles need oil, in my opinion. So if you make it oily enough, and with enough black pepper and heat, it is good. It is very filling, however.

Also, at Pakistani/Indian parties, you sort of cram everything in one plate. You try to keep it separate, but you’ll always get a few bites where your biryani is mixing with “lo mein” noodles is mixing with fruit chaat is mixing with chutney is mixing with aloo keema, and you might be eating some some naan with it, too. So, although it seems odd at first, there is something familiar about it.

6 Likes

Thanks @naf. I see this is noted as “desktop”. I typically am posting from my smart phone as that’s where my photos are. I’ll go look at the instructions to see if there are different steps for this method…

1 Like