What's for Dinner #34 - June is Bustin' Out All Ovah! Edition - June '18

thanks for sympathy

the can also work but if. you want to make a hundred or more at a time, the method I described is faster and I can guarantee, no breakage!

Wow, you’ve been doing that WFD thread ever since I could remember.

I recognize you as well. Funny enough, I always assumed you were male! Something stereotypical about barbecuing, I guess :wink:

2 Likes

Hubby and I cooked up a huge Hawaiian-themed spread for a birthday party yesterday. It was a ton of fun but also so much work. We will be eating Kalua pork and random Asian market treats for the next few months, haha.

Being tired, tonight we phoned it in with packaged tortellini, zucchini, marinara, and leftover Alice Waters coleslaw from the party (

brought by a guest).

8 Likes

Lots more invoicing.
All day.
It’s still not done.
But lots of billing means good for the business.
Just sucks for the first couple of days of the month (for me).

Dinner tonight was pretty simple - fresh sea bass caught by my sister and BIL’s friend this weekend.

Which unfortunately I didn’t do well by - panko crumbs, lemon zest and roasted garlic powder, and dried parsley sprinkled on a lightly oiled piece of the sea bass, and baked in the convection oven. It was OK, but not as tasty as it should have been.

Side was lemon-tarragon rice and peas.

Oh well - it filled me up.

6 Likes

Welcome to the fold, Christina!

4 Likes

Thanks! I have a couple questions, if I may: 1) Is it possible to edit posts after they are up, and if so, for how long/how? 2) Is there a good way to display the thread so that replies and sub replies are linked together? Right now for me they are scattered all over the place.

1. I think you can edit for 30-45 minutes? @naf, do you know?

2. No - the format of the hosting platform of HO isn’t sent up that way, unfortunately.

3 Likes

It took me a year, but now that I’m used to it, I like it much better than the CH-style. Give it time.

1 Like

Reheated some leftover carnitas from the freezer, with refried pinto beans from the pressure cooker, baby broccoli, and rice cooked in the rice cooker with a spoonful of salsa.

7 Likes

Finally got the balance right on that ricotta-semolina cheesecake. With a mango-lemon drizzle and white chocolate whipped cream, it’s very good. The crust, dusted with semolina, really makes the cheesecake. Will make it again.

For savory tonight, we had keema-aloo, with a little bit of methi. Two chutneys and roti to go with it.

Also made Colpa Degno cookies – flourless triple chocolate cookies – from the Sullivan Street Bakery cookbook. I feel like Jim Lahey really wants you to succeed with his recipes. He provides small tidbits like what # scoop to use, which helps immensely. I’ve made these before, but committed some errors this time. I used too coarse a salt, and my chocolate chips (Ghirardelli brand) were also too large. They didn’t melt and were a bit too contrasting in texture once the cookie cooled. Next time I will go back to using chopped chocolate like I previously did. I stuffed them with fillings like vanilla cream, chocolate cream, and caramel/peanuts, and took them to the mosque for evening prayers. I put them on the table, and a minute later they had vanished.

I have become well-acquainted with a recent Egyptian immigrant. She gave us these gems yesterday, calling them “sweet samosas”, but that doesn’t do these pastries justice. The pastry is sticky and crispy at the same time, and reminds me a little of gulab jamun. The filling is coconut, raisins, and peanuts. I loved them. She’s the first great Egyptian cook I have met. My theory is that every cuisine is good, you just have to find someone that cooks it well.

15 Likes

Normal level member can edit the post up to 1 hour after first posting.

1 Like

Ccj,
I’m confused by your method of frying and freezing. Summer rolls that I made do not get fried and I can’t imagine freezing them when they are filled with fresh cucumber, lettuce leaf etc? It would be great if they did freeze since they are a lot of work to make! I do like your suggestion to wrap each one in Saran.

Looks great. Is your PC stovetop or electric? I have a Fagor stovetop and love it. So useful.

1 Like

I make spring rolls, Fujien style using wheat wrap. Back home, I watch our chef make them using a wok and duck eggs but I never learned how to make them, have no time either. Instead, here in the US, I buy the very thin individually separated SIMEX spring roll sheets , that are made in the Philippines. They are thin, like phyllo sheets and can be eaten fresh or fried. Simex sheets comes individually separated for a little more than the ones that one has to defrost and separate. It is well worth extra buck or two. I had posted the ingredients for my spring rolls in the past here at Hungry Onions .
Since my husband was ( he passed away 6 years ago) diagnosed with gluten enteropathy, I used to make those spring rolls for him. Rather than using wheat made SIMEX wraps , I use rice papers to roll them in. MY husband loves it panfried and crispy. I massed produce them so they are usually available when we want to eat them.
I do the same with Chinese dumplings - I use these rice papers to wrap them in.
As I said, we frequent this 5* Vietnamese restaurant in Adams Morgan, DC when we visit nearby DC and they have these rolls ( similar to. your summer rolls but they serve it with rice paper with your choice of different fillings that one has to roll themselves)
I hope I made it clear this time.

Thanks! It’s an electric Instant Pot. Beans work great, done in under an hour from dry.

1 Like

Nice to see you here!

It has never stopped bothering me how the replies and sub-replies aren’t right after the original post.

2 Likes

Thank you and I’m now wanting to try frying using the rice wrappers.

Not possible, it’s a different format. But… you can highlight a phrase or any text to quote. The reply will be linked to the original post below. For example, I have quoted this post of yours, when you look at it you see a link to my reply. Click on it and it brings you to this quote I’ve made.

After a while I got used to it.

1 Like