What's for Dinner #34 - June is Bustin' Out All Ovah! Edition - June '18

After a late lunch at a winery in a village not far from the capital I was still full by dinner time. I had sparkling wine in the fridge so it was a perfect thing to accompany some roe. The wine is made “méthode traditionelle”.

Whilst browsing the supermarket I spotted the caviar fridges. The goods were under lock and key. Had to accost an employee so they could open the fridge of course. They left my jar at the check-out and I paid when I was done shopping. You can’t walk round with caviar in your hand before paying.

Bester is a hybrid fish, between sterlet (a species of sturgeon) and beluga. Interestingly, the high-tech sturgeon farm where fish are bred and caviar is produced is in a “country that doesn’t exist”. Tiraspol is the second largest city in Moldova but it is not officially recognised. This region is called Transnistria. I want to go there one day. Travellers have reported border control problems due to political tensions.

The simplest dinner there is.

Another dinner:

We love beetroots and borschts are up our alley. This Moldovan-style borscht has little ribs. Ukrainians claim garlic rolls as their own, but Moldovans make it theirs anyway.

Moldovan version of polenta. The dent is for pouring butter over.

I find the frequent and liberal use of fresh dill and raw garlic rather surprising. Here oil is added as a dip. Fried Speck, scrambled eggs, sour cream and grated brined cheese are on the plate. Save for the Speck, the other 3 things always go together.

Ancient and polluting old buses still run some routes. Moldova is the poorest country in Europe with the lowest “human developement index” score so these old buses are not going away just yet. They want so much to join the EU. We pay through the nose in taxes, also that money goes to poor(er) member states. If I could I would get rid of the EU and daylight saving time! First thing!

An enormous cloud of smoke whenever these buses pass by.

8 Likes

It’s not a place I’d ever considered visiting, but you make it look interesting.

2 Likes

Very appetizing

Ah, yes - I learned about this when tutoring a Romanian government official in English many moons ago.

@Presunto
Thanks for sharing. So far what do you think of Moldovan food?
Can I ask also how much was that jar of caviar?

Low carb keto gumbo. No roux, caramelized trinity, stock made from shrimp shells, shrimp, andouille sausage, okra… Served with cauli-rice! Thanks @naf for technical guidance!

12 Likes

You’re welcome! Could you upload photos from your phone now?

The taste buds and heart loves what they love. Go forth, and eat with abandon.

4 Likes

Another lazy meal - dirty rice with TJ’s Soycutash and leftover home-smoked tofu.

10 Likes

I have two more questions: 1) what happened to most of the old WFD crew that used to be here? Did they all go to Facebook? 2) is it possible, as a feature of one’s profile, to pull up a list of one’s photo posts as it is on Chowhound? I often go through my online “gallery” to find an old recipe.

Slightly more human today- finally! Past few days have been a pathetic blur of green juices, miso soup, delivery thai soup, buckets of tea and kombucha, and today i went to the vegan rastafarian cafe for a “wellness shot” juice that tasted…healthy- thankfully also had enough ginger that overpowered the rest of it.
I picked up a container of their black bean stew for dinner which is sooo not photogenic but surprisingly tasty, especially with some nutritional yeast added. I’m optimistic i’ll feel even better tomorrow and take a short bike ride to get some decent groceries and get back to making myself actual meals again.

7 Likes

Glad you feel better!

1 Like

Grilled rib eye. Baked potato. Leftover peppers from last night. Which were better today. Wine to drink. :wine_glass:Cheers.

9 Likes
  1. Some are on FB; some just dropped out. @Harters is on HO, but rarely posts on the WFD thread.

2. I don’t think you can see your photos posts - just the list of threads you’ve either started (Topics) or ones to which you replied (Replies).

1 Like

Thanks! It’s a bummer that the photos can’t be viewed in a gallery

2 Likes

Got out of work “early” - at 4:45. :-/

After today’s heartbreaking news, I needed comfort food and something quick. Fettuccine Carbonara with roasted asparagus alongside worked.

There was definitely wine. And several spoonfuls of Ben & Jerry’s Vanilla Toffee Bar Crunch ice cream will be had.

12 Likes

What do you mean by WFD?
I am not posting as I am very very busy, almost 10-12 hours of work in the garden , dinner is often at 10:-00Pm-11:00PM, as I also have to for my son to be ready to eat. He is also working til 3:00-4:00AM for the past weeks working out on the boat which came back from the marina after installing new twin Mercruiser engine but the cabin was all mildewed, so he is reupholstering the cabin ( cannot afford to have it done professionallyafter those engines were replaced ) with the help of someone. Prior to that, I had problem with a new cell phone and trying to use it in conjunction with my Mac Air but got scammed. with what I thought was tech adviser from Apple. So, had to have everything reinstalled.

I do not like to post on Facebook as I like my privacy except for the community Facebook which is supposed to be private, but I am still weary of it. I posted a picture recently ( posted in March during the storm and in April ( Our beautiful gardens - a break from food farming ) and was asked by this guy from the community if I can remove my jetty ? He has to be crazy at 500/linear foot, why on earth does he think he had the right to request that? I wander if he would like someone to remove part of his house.

Last few days, we had chicken parmigiano using Kenji’s Lopez chicken breast marinated overnight in buttermilk, dipped in sweet potato flour, eggs and panic mixed with 40% parmesan cheese, pan fried then added mozzarella cheese, into the oven till mozzarella melted, then added parmesan cheese. we do not even have any salad or side dish as I made enough chicken breast to fill us up, since I am too tired and lazy. This is served with Kenji’s best red sauce which is cooked on top of stove, then in oven for 6. hours. Made a lot so I just defrosted what I froze .

Today’s lunch is Costco’s Loin strip steak marinated in soy sauce, cider vinegar, shake of Montreal steak seasoning, shredded ginger, spring onions, garlic, a dash of five spice powder and some sesame oil. This was pan fried, sliced against the grain, served with caramelized onion, sweet pepper, Sun of Italy hot cherry peppers on a tomato jalapeño wrap. I also marinaded enough for 3 meals

They tasted excellent but just too tired to take pictures.
So sorry , but I do read my HO’s mails. and all your blogs.

5 Likes

Took an easy bike ride to trader joe’s to buy actual groceries yet still had a random snacky plate dinner- late afternoon mango mochi had something to do with it. (Delicious!)
Snacky plate was sugar snap peas, cherry tomatoes, and cucumber all sprinkled with Everything, some kalamata olives, edamame with smoked salt, and a few wedges of tuscan cantaloupe that was exactly ripe (exciting! That never happens to me!) kombucha a la carte

5 Likes

So far haven’t seen or heard any other tourists. Not even one.

Not many people even know the existence of this country which is one of the reasons it receives so few tourists.

Situation remains the same. Transnistria is pro Soviet. They are stuck in their Soviet past. I have been to Russian territories in the Norwegian high arctic but it’s a sad place. Transnistria seems better, at least they have fresh vegetables and meats. The supply ship comes to Barentsburg and Pyramiden only once or twice a year.

Moldovan food is a lot like Romanian, a bit of Ukrainian, Russian, Greek, Turkish etc. It’s not bad at all. They even eat pretzels. Caviar costs about 57 euros (50gr).

Cada um come do que gosta.
One eats what he likes best. (Portugues proverb)

2 Likes

I finally finished a huge work project which took over my whole life. There was no cooking so I stopped posting here. But, I can now reclaim my time and weekends so hopefully I remember how to cook.

Dinner tonight was Josh Mcfadden’s sausage brocolli pasta made with a sauce of whipped ricotta. I think whipped ricotta might be my new favorite food.

Dessert was profiteroles, one with chocolate cream and one with pistachio gelato.

14 Likes