What's for Dinner #34 - June is Bustin' Out All Ovah! Edition - June '18

Ouch! hope you are fine! You should have bought me a new computer instead! :smiley:
If in doubt, always double check the sender email address of the suspicious mail.

Lovely birds!

I do not know if this is OFF TOPIC but I do want members to know that I only called to trouble shoot my new IPHONE 8 plus and the MAC Air which is still under warranty with Apple Care.
Web site I went to is exactly similar to Apple’s web site.
Stupid to share screen and leave my computer and IPHONE for them for 2 hours as I trusted it to be Apple’s website.
The scammer bought a computer using my CC, sent me an invoice with receipt.
CC showed purchase was from Apple, receipt also was receipt from Apple.com with the Apple logo.
I also found out there were 3 attempts to log into my investment portfolio
Police came, advised me to find serial number of computer which was supposedly purchased from me.
Apple ( REAL APPLE not Scam Apple people) advised me the receipt did not come from them, so they cannot trace the serial number, they also looked into my CC purchased for $2540 plus . The purchase was not from an Apple store but from an internet store in CA. Apple cannot access that site either.

Lots of problem with changing all my passwords, notifying my investment adviser as I was locked out Bec 3 attempts were made, fraud was notified etc etc. Of course, some of the autopay would have to be notified that CC had been cancelled, bank account changed.

Sorry naf if this is not appropriate topic here, pls move it or delete it.
NOW WE KNOW THAT in GOOGLING, APPLE.COM CAN BE SENT TO A WEBSITE, SIMILAR TO APPLE EXCEPT TELEPHONE NUMBERS ARE DIFFERENT . APPLE ADVISED ME THAT TO CALL THEM, BE SURE IT IS 1800 MY APPLE. DO NOT BELIEVE IN SCREEN SHARING UNLESS YOU ARE PREPARED TO BE SITTING THERE WATCHING THE ARROW. CRAP WHEN THEY TOLD ME LEAVE COMPUTER AND CELL PHONE FOR 2 HOURS.

Wow. Nightmare scenario!

That looks wonderful!

1 Like

Raining, rather pouring the whole day
So, decided to drive to Nick’s Italian Deli, purchased ground pork, small shrimp and made pot stickers as well as Sio Mai ( that is dumpling with open face)
I made around 100 or more, half to my nice neighbor who just returned from an exhausting trip to Florida to visit a sick brother. She came to give me some sedum for my garden.

Here is picture of Siomai, ( one tray) but I also have the pot stickers which I am too tired to take a picture of. Did not make it look nice as I am too tired!!!
My neighbor came while I was wrapping them, helped me wrap , then we had a few for snacks, dipped in soy sauce, garlic, cider vinegar, sesame oil .So, the afternoon passed quickly . It is nice to have someone to chat with when doing tedious work

9 Likes

Simple perfection!

Nice to have you over here!

3 Likes

Thanks! Glad to be here.

1 Like

Welcome!
Grilled scallions are one of my favorites…especially since they cook so much faster than onions

1 Like

Sounds like a lovely afternoon, always good to have help with fiddly projects like the wrapping.

What a terrible ordeal you went through! It’s very scary to know how easily criminal strangers can take private information now

I was not on guard . Should have known better
The site looks exactly like Apple’s website
They supposedly copied Apple’s website but phone numbers were different
BEWARE : Phone numbers on this scammer website
customer service APPLE CARE 1833 272 1666
Technical adviser APPLE CARE 1833- 272 1777
DO NOT SHARE SCREEN EVEN IF IT LOOKS LIKE TECHNICAL ADVISER IS FROM APPLE.COM
CALL 1800 MYAPPLE when in doubt

2 Likes

Not especially interested in food today , drank buckets of tea and kombucha and wandered to the market two blocks away for some watermelon between naps and clorox wiping my apartment. Unsurprisingly not especially great… or seedless for that matter- well, I can’t taste much anyhow. I doused it with some mysterious penzey’s spice blend i repackaged into a little jar and didn’t label! I figured that’s not exactly Real Food and chucked some frozen strawberries into a blender with a gob of almond butter, some greek yogurt and almond milk. Whatever.
Dessert will be a handful of multicolored pills

5 Likes

I’m impressed you were able to walk to the market!

1 Like

Feel better!

1 Like

It’s warm here in Chisinau, 27C. As mentioned yesterday, Moldova is 1 of the least visited countries in the world. It had me packing at not touristy and it had me again at wines. This is a wine producing and wine drinking nation. It’s easier for me to get here than the Jura, France where I had planned to visit!

When I was travelling alone in Albania I wondered what were other “worthless countries” to visit. Moldova is small, young and peaceful. Has wine, beer and food. How “worthless” can it be that it receives so few tourists? I’m staying put in the Moldovan capital for a week just to eat and drink. My lodging is at the edge of the sprawling Central Market so that’s probably where I will be eating most of the time. There’s no smoking ban so that will be a huge problem for us.

Smokehouse is an American bbq and craft beer joint. The place is also an expat hangout and only a few blocks from my lodging. They have another proper craft beer pub right next door so looks like that’s where we will be visiting often this week.

The lighting is too low and throws a strong yellow cast onto everything. It’s an enemy of photography. We ordered smallest portions. Also, 2 Peace Corps Americans opened this bbq-craft beer joint. Staff are very young and multi lingual.

Ribs.

Pulled pork.

Rocket salad with fresh lemon rind and black olives.

Had 4 different beers. Total price of meal and beers is 21 euros. Beer is a lot cheaper than at home. I’m glad there’s even craft beers here. Food prices at this place are probably higher than the average Moldovans would like to pay.

Kiosk across the street from my lodging. There’s no street light on side streets everything is so so dark. The kiosk glows in the night like in some horror film. I have brightened the image to the max, you can see how dark and empty it is at night. You buy something via a tiny window in the front.

11 Likes

Summer rolls with stonington red shrimp.
Lots to assemble and remember as I only have made then once before.
Wrappers seem delicate but don’t seem to rip or burst and I really stuffed some full. Really good. Perfect summer dinner. I think it would be easier if you made them often.

14 Likes

That’s always what I think when we make them! But then I forget. The wrappers dry out fast in the fridge, too, so you pretty much have to finish them within 24 hours. Have you found a way around this? I was thinking maybe cover them with wet paper towels next time.

I have not made these for 6 years as I used to make spring rolls for my husband who has gluten enteropathy. So, for his spring rolls, I use these rice papers.
I learned from a Vietnamese 5 * restaurant at DC Morgan Adams in DC l who when one orders these rolls, send you the dried non rehydrated papers, a custom made vase, the size and shape of those rice papers filled with warm water and then one dips it in the custom vase . I tried to buy a vase from them but they laughed and said it was especially made for them in Vietnam

So, here are some tricks to make rolling faster and easier

1. Do not buy the 100% tapioca ones, buy the 100% rice paper or if not available, mix tapioca and rice papers. The pure tapioca ones are too sticky and not as easy to roll

2. the best would be a bowl large enough to accommodate. your rice paper but if not possible, and. u have a smaller bowl, just rotate the rice paper in the warm water till it is completely wet. I make 100 rolls if not more at a time and freeze them so, I find that I have to use warm water, boil water in my whistling kettle, pour them in my dipping bowl, replenish the water in my dipping bowl once it gets too cold with the hot water from the kettle which is kept warm on my stove.

3. I lay down 3 plastic cutting boards or dinner plate at a time so I can make them faster as it takes a few seconds for the rehydrated papers to soften. My plate or cutting board does not absorb water from the wet rice paper so they remain pliable and soft.

4. I wet all 3 papers and lay them on the board or plate

5. After the first roll is assembled, I wrap them tightly individually with cut rite plastic wrap, lay them on my freezer container, then proceed to the second roll but before doing so, I dip another paper in the warm water, lay it on the 1st assembly board or plate to give it time to soften, so that by the time I finished the third all, the first one is softened and ready to roll.

6. I place parchment paper between each layer of spring rolls in the freezer . My husband prefers to eat them pan fried. I thaw them out for 30 minutes before frying them if frozen.

7. If you do not want to freeze them, y ou can keep them soft by covering them with a damp kitchen towel.

Hope this. helps

8 Likes

Lots of eating out. Two home-cooked meals of late:
Calabreze sausage and a big old salad with a new batch of Green Goddess dressing.

Carnitas bowl. Made a giant-ass batch of carnitas, froze some for future meals. Made a bowl with lotsa crunchy iceberg lettuce, mexi-rice, avo, salsa fresca, queso fresco, hot sauce at table.

5 Likes

My friend showed me a handy trick where you lay the dried wrapper on a plate, trickle water over it from the tap, swirl around, and drain off the excess. Works great and less breakage.

1 Like

There are so many scammers around. I’m sorry you got scammed.

1 Like