What's for Dinner #34 - June is Bustin' Out All Ovah! Edition - June '18

Would love to break bread with you. Your food is always amazing

1 Like

Chopped salad of everything. Always iceburg.
I grew up eating iceburg since that was what was local - like grown in fields ten min from my parents house- and always super fresh. I actually remember we had this crazy metal thing for the head of lettuce and while “helping” with dinner my sister and i would take turns running around the lawn swinging the lettuce to dry it :smile:
Tonight included cucumber, some cauliflower, roasted brussel sprouts i made this morning for some crazy reason, olives, some canned diced beets (meh), sunflower seeds and nutritional yeast. Handful of trader joe veggie chips on the side. Vinegrette was mixed into the lettuce under everything

Ha! This is what the crazy salad basket looked like more or less

8 Likes

TJ’s fish nuggets and seasoned jasmine rice with peas. I had some apps at a Yelp event before and wasn’t terribly hungry. An emotional day concluded with - yep - another beer.

6 Likes

Most likely the iceberg lettuce was grown by Tanimura & Antle when you growing up .Salinas .:grin:

ditto! xoxo

Maybe! Is that you…??? I still am biased and buy iceburg from salinas now in nyc!

Come on back to sunny Florida. It’s only 86

1 Like

Vegetables with rice, that’s all. Steamed aubergines, drizzled with my own Laoganma and bonito flakes. Beetroot tops were stir-fried in duck fat.

I was sure there was millet in the cupboard. Well, couldn’t find any but there’s amaranth. Made a broth with asparagus and had to stir the amaranth from time to time like risotto. Amaranth takes some time to cook, unlike millet.

Half kilo of asparagus went into this thing but most of it is hidden underneath. I saved a few spears for shaving and topping. Last of the brown shrimps sat on top.

6 Likes

We used to eat millet until we learned that it contains goitrogens, substances that weaken your thyroid. Since then we have cut it out of our diets.

1 Like

Lettuce-free salad tonight, the corn was a great texture yet tasted like…yellow? I’ll cook the other ear i picked up. Cucumber, watermelon, hemp seeds, a few fancy olives.
A side of cornbread from whole foods, part of the chunk i bought- more cake than cornbread :slight_smile:
There were a few meatless balls i ate on the aide but i will spare you the visual- they’re tasty but certainly not photogenic!

6 Likes

You’re lucky to get yellow corn. It is so hard to find corn on the cob here (Marin County/SF Bay Area) that isn’t white. I’ve pretty much given up finding it and am excited when I come across it.

3 Likes

Box of Near East rice pilaf and a bag of PF Changs chicken. Dolled up with green onion and Mae Ploy sweet Chile sauce . Chicken was gummy but tasty . I devoured it all . Wine to drink . :wine_glass:Cheers.

8 Likes

Tsukumi soba.

9 Likes

You have to eat a massive amount for a long period of time then maybe. Many cultures eat millet as a staple. I have read many articles about millet and thought they were mostly fear-mongering. I eat it once in a while so nothing to worry about. Besides, my thyroid health is super normal.

I love (ancient) grains, just not rice.

1 Like

I agree. But we still don’t buy it anymore. By the way, the first time I ever heard of millet was in an Akira Kurosawa film, The Seven Samurai, I think, when a man hands his wife a bowl of food and proudly tells her, It’s rice! Not millet!

Hey WFD folks - the voting thread for Cuisine of the Quarter is now live. Summer 2018 (July-Sept) Cuisine of the Quarter - VOTING
Cast your votes and let’s get cooking!

2 Likes

Yum!

1 Like

Burgers tonight with lettuce from the garden, tomatoes, ketchup, and mayo with sides of grilled yellow squash and COTC.

8 Likes

That’s funny because i feel like almost all the corn here is yellow. Why do you prefer the white corn? Oh, i see “bicolor” corn once in a while -whatever that means

Hot and sticky here. I ate while on the phone with my sister, so no photo. Salad of cucumber and lots of edamame, some corn, a few cherry tomatoes and the rest of the cornbread cake slice. Kombucha a la carte. Grapes are in the freezer for dessert.

3 Likes