What's for Dinner #34 - June is Bustin' Out All Ovah! Edition - June '18

I know. But I didn’t season the shredded braised short rib well enough before putting in the rolled wonton wrappers, so it’s all on me. Oh well. Opened up a bit of freezer space.

Ha, I have a large bag of pot roast that needs to get used up but with the 95 degree weather forecast for the next several days starting later in the week, I doubt we’ll be craving that. I did remember to write “underseasoned” on the storage container, so that helps.

In the meantime, we’ll be polishing off some very inauthentic spanakopita. I needed to use up some cottage cheese and feta and happened to have some spinach and phyllo in the freezer, so that worked perfectly. It was pretty tasty despite the 1970’s-style recipe.

13 Likes

Authenticity is highly overrated.

4 Likes

Genius idea!

You had me at Pecorino. Makes stuff like feta and halumi taste like a block of salt (which exactly what it is). Never had it fresh. Must be nice.

There must be hundreds of variations of pecorino in Sardinia. The one we bought to take home was an aged pecorino. Pecorino fresco is probably available in various grades, but the only one we get here is from Tuscany! In any case, it is nothing like feta or halumi. It has a fairly soft texture, sort of like American cheese. But it has umpteen times more character.

1 Like

Sold! Hahah…

I meant to say look at what they can do with sheep’s milk in south of Italy. Halloumi and feta (and similar way-too-salty cheeses) are also prepared from sheep’s milk but they are totally different. I’m quite dismissive of the style of feta and halloumi.

Love Pecorino. Always use it in pasta or starch. I get the Toscana version sometimes.

Even Moldova has nice sheep’s milk cheeses. A surprising new thing I learn about this country.

I like halloumi fried, either in olive oil or on the grill. It’s not for everyday, but once in a while it makes for a nice snack.

3 Likes

Speaking of Sardinia, did you eat this pasta dish?

1 Like

No, and we didn’t have any “su filindeu” either.

Buffalo grilled chicken tenders with yogurt ranch, roasted cauliflower, and three bean salad. The latter will not be a repeat purchase.

I’m gonna have a nice hoppy beer after hitting the treadmill.

7 Likes

Or skip the treadmill altogether :wink:

4 Likes

Finally under 90 degrees after a week of miserable heat! So turning on the oven didn’t seem so bad.

Dinner was lamb chops with Penzey’s lamb seasoning, crash potatoes with thyme crisped in the chops drippings. Veg was tomatoes with smacked cucumbers* (*ttrockwoods recipe suggestion).

I had made the cukes for a potluck and ended up with leftovers. I was a little uncertain how they would fare as the recipe states that they should be prepared close to serving or they will get slimy. No sliminess! Just had to drain accumulated liquid from them.

Pro tip: wear an apron and cap when smacking cucumbers…'nuf said! :wink:

7 Likes

I always want to like three bean salad from a can or on a salad bar- probably also from a can- and it’s somehow just…not what i wanted. Too squishy green beans and too acidic.

2 Likes

Haha! Hope you liked the smacked cucumbers, i’m overdue to make some myself

Every time i stir fry something i find oil spatters for days, so in a moment of temporary insanity i steamed the mix of “stir fry vegetables” that i added edamame to. Hmm. Not so great but i do enjoy those baby corn for some rediculous reason. A fairly rediculous amount of soy sauce and a bit of toasted sesame oil was added to my bowl.
Edamame seem to be hiding in the terrible photo here

Not happy about that so called dinner so i chopped a pile of watermelon to have with my kombucha

8 Likes

I am terrible at stir frying .lol

1 Like

Chubbalicious lamb chops, marinated overnight in homemade harissa. Bayleaf, garlic, mint & pine nut rice on the side, along with ratatouille. the chops were the tenderest things ever!

13 Likes

@maria, somethings require more than a like button. Looks fabulous

4 Likes

aw, sweet! thanks, Scuba!