What's for Dinner #34 - June is Bustin' Out All Ovah! Edition - June '18

Cuban bowls tonight with kalua pork from the freezer, black beans, leftover rice, cucumber, mango, yogurt, and hot sauce. This was my hubby’s with salsa and cheese

11 Likes

I love bowl meals like that!

2 Likes

Met my parents back in tribeca after they managed to get lost dropping off the rental car then take the metronorth and then take the subway to the wrong stop from grand central… :joy:
We had wine and some crudite and dip with my friends on the terrace before heading out. They had a big very late lunch and just wanted something close and easy.
We walked to Bubby’s and dad and i decided to share the huge plate of nachos- hard to tell from this how big this was, it was really tall with lots of layers and they just did the melted cheese on his half. PBR for dad too

Mom cut straight to the chase after i told her they were famous for the pies so she had a slice of the Banofee pie for dinner and declared it excellent image

Tomorrow is already their last full day here :confused:

12 Likes

I seldom order dessert so I guess I’m woefully out of touch. I had to google banofee. Oh my! That sounds heavenly!

I think I need to make it next time I have a potluck to attend.

Your folks visit went by so fast! Thanks for taking us along vicariously.

3 Likes

Doing a cold smoke on canned albacore tuna. Works really well for a smoked fish spread

4 Likes

Wow - that sounds fabulous. I would eat the whole thing!

Thanks. Turned it into a rillette with some Dukes mayo, a little lemon and lime juice, orange zest and 21 yr old Armagnac. Topped with basil on garlic toast points

14 Likes

Scubadoo, I think I already asked once how I could get invited to you for dinner. It may have been on Chowhound. In any case, WOW, how can one snag a dinner invitation to you?

1 Like

If you are ever in Florida give me a buzz. Zurich is a pretty nice place to be. Was not far away last September in Oberageri

Thanks, but there isn’t much chance we’ll be in Florida. But, in any case, WOW.

You are too kind

Oh i think it’s actually rather easy to make compared to other pies. No fussy arranging or slicing and dicing. And this place used a graham cracker crust although the other pies they serve used a leaf lard crust so it must have been intentional. But also easier to make

Well this is probably the last post with lots of good photos for a while… back to reality as of tomorrow.

Tonight we did “family dinner” with my friends after the baby went down. After biking and galleries in chelsea and lots of walking we made a few stops for supplies and grilled for dinner outside in the perfect weather. Started with prosecco and i made us a chilled cucumber basil soup that included garlic, white wine vinegar, lemon, lots of basil, a heavy hand with the black pepper and garnished with a tiny bit of mint and chives

Mom likes a very basic salad so we kept it simple with romaine, carrots, cherry tomatoes, some bell pepper and the avocado is there so I don’t forget to cut and add it at the last minute! Dressing also added last minute, just a quick vinegrette with a good gob of dijon

The omnis had some chicken, pork chops and steak; plenty leftover for lunches tomorrow too.

We had a nice merlot with the meal.
Lot of veggies hit the grill before the meats; onion, zucchini, asparagus, mushrooms, bell pepper, corn, and scallions. My tofu was off to the side when i took this photo

Gratuitous photo of the light reflecting off buildings across the hudson as the sun was setting, this doesn’t do it justice.

Fantastic evening of family, my dearest oldest friend (ever since we met in first grade!) and her husband with a wonderful meal, wine and weather.
Couldn’t have possibly asked for more. :hugs:

17 Likes

The only downside I see is that I don’t think it would be good the next day due to the whipped cream. But it would be fairly easy to scale down and make a very small one!

1 Like

Gorgeous.

1 Like

Couldn’t see anything on the camera’s screen when I took this photo. What the bbq looked like:

Still ate this meal today. Too much for 2 persons.

5 Likes

If you’re ever in Oberaegeri again, or even Unteraegeri, send an e-mail. I’ll cook something. It may turn out good, but it won’t be anywhere as beautiful as your own stuff.

1 Like

Will do. Maybe a while till we return. A friend lives there. A group of my mutual friends spent time in St Anton where his ski home is then a few days in Switzerland, his home, before heading to south west France to pick Armagnac barrels. Was a great trip. Hard to repeat. Although I’d like a repeat

I seriously doubt the second part of your post.

I’m just an off the cuff home cook with too much time on my hands. Should be working more at my real job, but cooking is a good diversion and stress relief from the day to day. And you have to eat. Right?

5 Likes

!!!

1 Like

Right, like you gotta eat, why not make it good