What's for Dinner #34 - June is Bustin' Out All Ovah! Edition - June '18

Hi Christina,
No, I’m not new here I signed up immediately when this site opened and posted very quickly. However, given my family’s needs and eating patterns, I don’t post on “what’s for dinner” and I can’t post photos, but I do enjoy reading what others post and sometimes comment and more often “like.”

I hope you and family are thriving in your relatively new home…sounds like great dinners!

5 Likes

Your spring onion eats kimchee?! Wha?! My half-Korean toddler turns his nose way up to it. Which makes me very sad.

2 Likes

A celebratory dinner tonight. Just completed a refinance of my townhouse.

1. Got rid of PMI. :::w00t!:::
  2. Lowered my interest rate by 1.5%. :::w00t, w00t!!:::
  3. Knocked off 8 years of the original 30 year loan by going to a 15 year. :::w00t, w00t w00t!!!:::
  4. Lowered my monthly payment by $200(ish). (Although I’m no longer escrowing my taxes, so I’ll have to pay that directly.)
  5. Now working with a local banking institution (credit union) vs. the big box bank with whom I had initially financed. Always a good thing to work with local companies.

I’d say that’s worthy of a damn fine bacon cheeseburger, chips, and a glass of wine, don’t you? (OK, a large glass of wine.)

17 Likes

Congratulations!

3 Likes

Scallop cake with braised fennel

12 Likes

Yep, for now anyway. I started him early - he actually insisted on sharing a snack I made once with kimchi and cottage cheese, and I’ve been giving him bits here and there ever since. Kid loves salty stuff like his ma.

4 Likes

All awesome things! Hearty congrats!

1 Like

Tonight marks the first day of an almost week-long family visit. Pray for me. :wink:

For dinner we had homemade potato and pea samosas (from the freezer) with mango chutney and raita and Meera Sodha’s savory spiced semolina cake. The main was chicken tikka masala bulked out with haricots, served with brown rice and green peas. Forgot a photo in the hubbub of getting 5 of us fed. Sigh.

10 Likes

Nice seeing you, in any case. Maybe we should start a similar meal-planning thread here on HO?

We are settling in well, thanks! :grin:

Don’t be sad. Children’s taste receptors develop with time. At that age they only taste sweetness.

Send him to Korea once a year on holiday (when he’s old enough). Hah!

2 Likes

Congrats, Linda!

Thuringian sausages today.

Yesterday we had new herrings. New season started the day before we came home. I have already eaten 10. New herrings are tender, fatter and taste like butter from the sea. Not to mention expensive. But the price will return to normal after the summer.

The vegs are very good as palate cleansers.

9 Likes

I’ve been having a lot of salads lately. Tomatoes have been great and I just want something light, fresh and crisp after my almost daily walk.

I had hoped to go walking this evening but the heat index had only come down to 103 by 7 pm. … just too damned hot.

But I had the salad anyhow! Romaine, tomatoes, cukes, scallions, mini sweet peppers, “Mexican” micro green assortment, cottage cheese, hemp seeds, croutons with a Caesar dressing. I love tomatoes with cottage cheese and black pepper - such a great combo!

13 Likes

I harvested my garlic scapes over the weekend and made garlic scape pesto, so we dove in to that tonight, on burgers with fennel salad on the side. Yum. Garlic scapes are one of my favorite foods, made all the more delicious since I can only get them once a year. Makes me want to add another garlic bed next year!

13 Likes

I am allllll about hemp seeds in salads! Something about their unique flavor pairs well with raw veggies.

1 Like

Dinner last night was in Rhinebeck at a modern indian restaurant that the BnB owners raved about. And it was AMAZING.

We had to order another basket of the fluffy garlicky naan!
I had a “salad dosa” which was open faced (weird? Modern? Whatevs!) delicious fresh greens of some sort in a light tamarind vinegrette of sorts with side of cashew based sauce and a little dal- the waiter told me to rip the dosa roll it and dip in the sauce or the dal.

Side of indian spiced grilled veggies, perfectly cooked asparagus still firm in the middle great char flavor to it

Mom and dad shared a lamb chop tandoori special with side of vegetable biryani they both looooved, came with side of a spicy sauce and side of raita

My reisling didn’t make the photo

I spotted a farm stand this afternoon

And apparently didn’t take a photo of the sugar snap peas, garlic scapes or baby zucchini. Also picked up these french breakfast radishes

And a basket of these beautiful strawberries

Headed back to nyc tonight, my parents return tomorrow afternoon.
Dinner was basically the basket of strawberries on the train (AMAZING) and then i just had sugar snap peas, sliced radishes and zucchini raw with a bit of smoked salt, some seedy crackers and smoked tofu.
“Only” walked about 4 miles today

13 Likes

Pork chops and sage ready for the pan. Mashed potatoes . Salad .Wine to drink .Cheers.

and finished

11 Likes

I don’t pray per se, but I do send golden light, and I’ll be doing that and wishing I was in North Carolina mountains. Good luck! Almost a week is a long, long time…

Good that you got instructions. I would roll the whole thing like a fajita, with the filling and all (unless the bread is oily on the outside).

There are so many places to eat in NY, you must be exhausting. :grinning:

Looks good and juicy. I’m trying to finish some meats in the freezer then I’m going to get some frozen Iberico chops and then I’m going to eat like you!

2 Likes

I’m with you!

1 Like

SV lamb then seared on the Weber in the garden. I think the cut is called lamb saddle, bone-in. The disadvantage of this cut is that it can’t be seared properly with all those bones. In fact, half of it is bone. I usually eat the leg or shoulder but saddle is nice, too. Saddle comes with the back bone, both loins, plus the flaps on the sides of the animal (the latter is mostly fat, membrane and skin). So value for money is not excellent for this cut with not so much meat. But once in a while is OK.

Today is the only day of the week we have high temperatures so it was nice to have dinner in the garden. The flies had the same idea, apparently. I made a handful of shots but couldn’t see much on the back LCD. Hope at least one turns out. We shall see tomorrow.

2 Likes