What's for Dinner #34 - June is Bustin' Out All Ovah! Edition - June '18

Superior eats.

2 Likes

I use the PC for the frozen octopus, works well.

1 Like

That looks SO GOOD

Good call! I love adventuring vicariously with you and your family

2 Likes

I have been traveling in Europe since the end of May and am due back in the Big Apple the end of June. Will spend most of our time in southern France and Spain

1 Like

I wish I were there…my wife’s family grew up there and although different we still have relatives and frequent Brighton frequently…The demographic change to “Russian” food is really great and adds to the bevy of neighborhoods to great some great ethnic foods…

1 Like

Haha… no. I saved this photo (found on the net) a while ago. But yes, it’s a nice set up. I couldn’t possibly see anything on that tiny screen, though. Would install a big waterproof monitor. Unfortunately, this house doesn’t have a bathtub. I could install it but things would have to be moved around to fit. It is possible. My neighbours on one side has one (our houses are exactly the same).

1 Like

I like eastern European food. And German food, and Austrian food and so on. So many people scoff at non spicy food. I like a bit of everything (save for Indian food and curries).

And you are correct, being a tour guide is exhausting. I have never done it :cold_sweat:

3 Likes

The eastern side or western side of the south of France ??

Got berries from the farmers market today. Been eating berries with whipped cream all day. After so much heavy eating, it’s all we wanted. The cream must absolutely not be overwhipped when accompanying fruit. But, without stabilizers, you have to keep it on ice.

7 Likes

Lamb kabobs were marinated in olive oil, fresh lemon juice, minced garlic, salt, pepper, and minced rosemary, oregano and thyme, then skewered and grilled on the grill pan. A cucumber-tomato yogurt raita with garlic and Aleppo pepper alongside.

Sides were sumac & thyme roasted potatoes and steamed asparagus. And wine.

10 Likes

I’m so glad I finally kicked the sickness too- we’re all exhausted yet having a blast :smile:

3 Likes

Grilled (charcoal) steak tips, homemade rice pilaf, asparagus and corn on the cob.
Really good Sunday dinner with wine, beer and negronis.
And it is strawberry season here in the northeast. The only shot I managed to get.

8 Likes

Thanks- it’s a challenge for me since they have visited so often and want to go/see/do something new each trip!

Slower start today, i had shown mom and dad a good breakfast spot near where they’re staying so they slept in a bit and went for breakfast with the sunday NY Times while i decided it was nice enough i should bike down to meet them.

Original plan was we would all go for a little bike ride down to battery park and such but it was bright sun on the bike path and unpleasantly hot so we went for a walk instead wandering through brookfield place, the oculus and such before stopping back at the apartment to change and head to our matinee of A Bronx Tale.

Thanks to the MTA getting there was also a good bit of walking. Including straight through Times Square (uuggh). Still plenty of time before the play, dad was worried about his lack of pizza consumption so far and got a slice at the next shop we saw and proceeded to “do it wrong” without even folding the slice! Yes there is a greasy souvenir on his shirt from that. Mom went with street nut vendor cashews and i had a few chunks of the coconut they do the same way, and i stopped for an iced espresso

After the play (which was great!) we stopped into an irish bar dad wanted to investigate for beers

I went with the hard cider, a Stella for mom and brooklyn somethingorother for dad

After being given multiple choice he thought an izakaya sounded fantastic (again, lack of options where they live, the few good japanese spots near them are really just sushi and noodles kind of menus)
I started with a sake cocktail that had yuzu involved, Sapporo for dad, tea for mom

Then the obligatory edamame to share, and my dish called “moro q”, cucumber they serve with a dark barley misoto dip it in- also came with mayo which i think is for people who don’t love miso as much as i do. Shrimp dumplings mom and dad shared (“five pcs? To split between the two of us? It’s like they’re trying to start a flight here” haha!) other plate is my yakitori, two of trumpet mushrooms i love so much and an asparagus which was also delicious

More dumplings served on a very hot plate, and then mom and dad both ordered the soft shell crab tempura which they both really loved. We wondered if it was a different type of crab? Very large compared to previous orders of soft shell crab elsewhere, it was a half crab for a serving. Not really a thing on the west coast so they were thrilled to see it on the specials menu.
Photo is missing the second plate of crab and my bowl with house made tofu topped with soy sauce/sesame oil and furikake instead of the bonito flakes

Tomorrow morning we go upstate to Rhinebeck area!
Just about six miles walking, 11 flights of stairs, and a 9mile bike ride today…

12 Likes

We had a large, late lunch, so dinner was a scrounge around 10:00 p.m. We both had tacos with the leftovers from last night. Before bedtime I made my babe some macaroni tossed with cottage cheese and Parmesan, with sides of leftover spinach quiche and diced kimchi. Random but eaten with gusto.

5 Likes

In the mood for brown food. Well there is a little green. Smoked chicken with a side of ketchup and mayo. Some sides and Lil drumstick for dessert .Wine to drink .:wine_glass:Cheers.

20180617_214405

8 Likes

Hey @Madrid! Are you new here?

Made some rabo encendido using this recipe :

Only I cooked it in the pressure cooker for half of the time specified in the recipe. Served with broccolini and white rice. It came out very tender.

8 Likes

That looks FANTASTIC!

1 Like