What's for Dinner #33 - Prom Season Edition - May '18

The 499.00 is the price for people who invest in it, that is during the campaign stage. Was supposed to be released Nov 2017. Has not come out yet
Here is a comparison between cinder and SV

1 Like

I found a new to me cut of meat on mark down - veal chuck steak. Veal is usually tender but chuck does best with low/slow. Decided to braise. Cooked some white onion in olive oil until softened. Added them to a casserole with good sized pieces of celery (down to 1.5 sleeves!) and carrot. A little Better than Bullion Roast Chicken, thyme & black pepper stirred in. Seasoned the meat with s/p and browned in the oil then put it atop the vegetables. Added enough water to reach the meat. Brought just to a boil, covered and put into a slow oven for a few hours. Removed meat, deboned. Reduced liquid the broth/veg by half. Used the immersion blender lightly - just enough to make it somewhat like gravy. Served over leftover rice.

Sounds heavy but was actually rather light. Vegetables accounted for a good 2/3 of the plated dish. The veal was flavorful and tender as can be. I don’t think I’d pay the original price for it but I’ll keep an eye out for the markdowns.

4 Likes

BLTs tonight with Cochon Butcher bacon, and hot Spanish dude’s cauliflower dish as a side:

good, but i served the BLTs with salt & vinegar chips and there was just too much vinegar in the meal. All i really needed was the BLT! i SO should have brought home more of that bacon. Next trip i’ll stock up.

7 Likes

Smoked beef back ribs .oops I did it again . Over cooked a little. Tossed with o.o and vinegar . One handed corn. Steamed and cut into chunks that you can eat one handed. Always a savior, market potato salad. Wine to drink .CHEERS. :wine_glass::wine_glass::wine_glass:

7 Likes

Yeah this product had 5 - some sort of fat, kecap manis, a hot sauce, fried onions, and a powdered seasoning that I think was probably mostly MSG.

1 Like

Made some bĂșn thịt bĂČ xĂ o using a recipe from Into the Vietnamese Kitchen by Andrea Nguyen. Vermicelli and vegetables with stir fried beef and onions.

9 Likes

The lighting is bad today, just made a couple of shots and hope they’d turn out. Half roast chicken which had better last another good meal because Bresse poultry is expensive. The fat and bones will be used for another meal.

Not present but there was a simple tomato and radish salad alongside.

6 Likes

I wish we could get Bresse chicken here. That looks like a beautiful meal.

A quiet day today. Read, watched movies, and did laundry.

Dinner was a throw-together based on wanting to use up a store-bought pie crust and some other bits and bobs in the fridge (asparagus, goat cheese, onions) 
 quiche with roasted asparagus, onions, red bell pepper, and pancetta and goat cheese.

I don’t usually do a pie crust with quiche, but this was easy and good.

8 Likes

More Nola stuff. I brought back Cochon Butcher’s tasso ham, so I made a Bon Appetit recipe for shrimp & grits with a tasso ham cream sauce. Grits were from So. Carolina, but also purchased in NOLA. good stuff! also made these smothered green beans with bacon, onion & potatoes, because i had something similar at Willie Mae’s Scotch House. My pic didn’t turn out, but it was an ugly dish anyway. But tasty!

9 Likes

I made those Triple Oatmeal cookies for teacher appreciation week. They were hard to photograph and look much better in real life.

I was very careful with the butter temperature, but the first batch still spread too much. My batter temperature was too warm, so I chilled until it was 70F and the next batch was good. I realized i was using a scoop larger than one ounce, so I used the correct size and the subsequent batches were even better.

Flavorwise, they are great. Oaty, toasty, tart, sweet, and buttery.

If eaten the next day, the amount of butter is just right. But if eaten fresh, I agree they are greasy.

12 Likes

Dinner at parents. From far to near: Daal with white rice. “Noodles” i.e. spaghetti sautĂ©ed chicken and vegetables, tossed with soy sauce, vinegar, and ketchup. Cucumber-onion raita. Biryani. Salad.

8 Likes

I wasn’t sure if I was just getting used to them or if the butter had settled with time!
Glad you liked them. Thanks for the tip about cooling the batter to reduce spreading.

Nola - the food vacation that keeps on giving!
What brand/type grits did you buy?

1 Like

That IS a hot spanish dude!! I bookmarked that recipe, sounds like a great new way to do cauliflower for me- and the soaking in milk seems to be optional (and weird).

1 Like

Braised rabbit with potato. Wine to drink. Cheers​:wine_glass::wine_glass:

6 Likes

i just happened to take a pic of it!

NO margarine though - shudder - i used Kerrygold. and no cheese since i knew that dish would be rich already.

7 Likes

Maybe the milk is to increase browning?

Edit: Guess not
Recipe indicates “this will make the cauliflower whiter and prevent odours”. I think I can skip that step!

1 Like

Spent the afternoon running errands which turned into a much longer excursion than expected. So I was starving by the time I got home. Had tuna salad* made so it became a tuna melt with sliced tomatoes and alfalfa sprouts.

I did find a surprise at a thrift store. $3 for a KitchenAid pasta dryer! I wasn’t sure what it was (the brand was covered by a price sticker) and bought it as a drying rack for small bits of dyed ribbons, scarves, etc. Sometimes wooden racks absorb dye which creates future problems. The Lucite on this baby will clean up like a charm!

*Used 1 rib of celery!!!

5 Likes

Legal Clam Chowder, Pearl all beef hot dogs and home made potato salad.
Messy photo but we enjoyed it very much.

9 Likes