What's for Dinner #33 - Prom Season Edition - May '18

i didn’t find it weird but it didn’t really add anything, nor did it seem to make the cauli whiter, which why would it even matter when you’re then tossing it with Pimenton?? whatever hot dude, good thing you’re hot! :smile:

also, the recipe needs salt. i mean, try it after it’s finished, but for me the capers alone didn’t cut it at all. salting the water didn’t help - it was only a pinch.

Want my recipe for cauliflower? Steam or boil it for 10 minutes, cut into slices about 1 1/2" thick, salt it, pour on some olive oil, and bake it for 20-25 minutes in a 400ºF oven. You could put any other spices on it that you want.

1 Like

Actually I have been using that cut , which I know as veal shoulder shops, exactly the same way. In fact I think my wife found a recipe after were married a few years (1978)! it is real simple and real light…

1 Like

Ooooh, yes, i love cauliflower “steaks”! I make those when I’m feeling fancy cooking for others more than myself- usually topped with some chimmichurri or tapenade thing. I love how dramatic the presentation is too

1 Like

What I love is the creamy consistency the cauliflower gets. By the way, the idea isn’t exactly original, it’s my take on the Israeli chef Eyal Shani’s cauliflower.

1 Like

Yeah that is bizarre that the note is to keep the cauli white (um, i’ve mever had an issue with it not being white after cooking??) and then adding the pimenton…!!! Haha, and good point on the salt. I’ll have to look for a good cauliflower at the store!

1 Like

Pearls and Legals. Can’t go wrong with that!

1 Like

The cut I had was about 2" thick and massive. The one piece filled a 12" skillet.
The leftovers were even better and stayed tender as can be.

1 Like

Sometimes I have a big piece of meat one day and then something completely different the next day. Yesterday’s chicken was nice (ate 1/3 of it), today just frikeh/freekeh “tabouleh”. Beetroot cubes, small chunks of rhubarb and asparagus, parsley as well. Add some seasoning to the frikeh and mix everything up. So that’s my “tabouleh” dinner.

Gratuitous photos of my resident blackbird. The pair loves to bathe and preen themselves all day. Old Girl was super busy building a nest right in front of my kitchen door. It’s an inconvenient location as I leave and enter the house via the back door. Hope she did not freak out and decided to abandon the nest. It’s really too close to the window where I sit or stand when looking outside.

7 Likes

Her name should be Jayne Mansfield. :laughing:

3 Likes

Smoked chicken thighs last night. Son and his girl friend and BIL over for dinner.

9 Likes

Leftover smoked chicken with green leaf and tomato salad

6 Likes

Cold icky rainy day yesterday, unfortunately my mom is across the country but i talked to her for a good while and she was thrilled with the S and S cheesecake my sister and i sent :smile: if you ever need to send an ny style cheesecake they’re amazing (they supply a lot of nyc restaurants i cluding several of the fancy steakhouses)
http://sscheesecake.com

Dinner was a Freezer Dive Surprise Stew, got lucky and got the sweet potato/black bean/kale/peanut buttery stew. Added a splash of broth while reheating. Cayannade (purchased) kombucha a la carte which was crazy spicy so i would sip it, wimper, drink ice water and then repeat! Haha.

Dumpling day today, boiled some trader joe’s vegetable dumplings with some chopped tempeh and broccoli, topped with soyaki and sesame seeds. Munched a lot of sugar snap peas and some cherry tomatoes while waiting for it to cook. Definitely made too much for one meal but hopefully leftovers will be ok microwaved for lunch

5 Likes

Exactly, very economical, east one pan and delicious leftovers.

I can taste the smoke from here, Scuba! I can’t smoke at home, like that.

Octopus is tender enough to cut with a fork and still has a bit to it. I love octopus every which way and with sous vide technique it’s so much easier now, no more guessing when it’s tender enough. I am curious how they prepare it the Japanese way, theirs always looks bleached.

Galician-style is simplest, I think. Just add olive oil and paprika powder. Simple boiled potatoes alongside like how octopus is eaten in Galicia.

7 Likes

Fish and a few sides aka leftovers. Mashed potatoes, string beans and salad

5 Likes

NYT Melissa Clark’s Green Goddess Roasted Chicken was up tonight. Made the sauce and marinated the chicken last night (i added mayo because I also wanted to use some for salad dressing). So good! Addictive. Roasted potatoes got the GG treatment too.

Salad was avos, toms, chives, with walnut oil and champagne vinegar.

9 Likes

I have to make this.

1 Like

Mr N has grown a profound interest (or obsession) in making pizzas, reading everything he can find, from buying type 00 flour (he said the best is from Canada), home made dough to cooking them on the weber stone to temperature control with the test of best type of charcoal to retain heat etc. 4 nights in a row! Good that I can take a break from the cooking…

The first pizza was a bit too burnt at the bottom with the stone, a bit too hard…

This one was correctly cooked, the bread was moist in the centre.

Same pizza with more with more garnish…

The last pizzas weren’t bad, and now Mister N declared that the weekends would be only pizzas…

14 Likes