What's for Dinner #33 - Prom Season Edition - May '18

Chickweed is edible and delicious! This link has good info on identifying and cooking it.

no thanks
One of my former neighbor use to raise chicken
she came for them
However, as the years go by, they seem to be more and more rampant
Chickweed together with german moss ( scleranthus annulus) are 2 of my biggest enemies!

End of a long week. The chicken I had planned to make yesterday was made tonight.

Chicken thighs and 'shrooms were turned into Chicken Marsala, served on top of egg pappardelle with green beans alongside.

Wine? Ohhhh, silly you!

9 Likes

Lovely dish, especially I am fan of 'shrooms !

2 Likes

Instant Indomie mi goreng noodles, with added frozen peas and carrots, some beef, scallion, and a couple fried eggs.

8 Likes

Soft shell crab po’boy! Very messy but delicious.

6 Likes

What you said about the lack of texture & what’s almost like raw fat is the reason I’m not jumping on the sous vide band wagon… One of the most disappointing meals I’ve been served was gorgeous, thick rib pork chops done sous vide & “finished” on the grill. The fat dudnt have any time to render a bit or crisp up. Even though the meat was marinated, it had virtually flavorless & the texture was not right. Made me very sad!!! :frowning:

2 Likes

I think I’ve come to realize that sous vide cooking is just a technique that is useful in the right situation. Boiling is a technique that is useful for potatoes, though most of us wouldn’t use it for preparing a T-bone. My sous vide venture with the leg of lamb was, to my mind, a failure. But I just did a couple of duck breasts that turned out great. We get two kinds of French duck breasts in the local stores. One kind is smallish, tender, delicious, and twice as expensive as the other kind. So I took the cheaper duck breast and used a non-Kenji recipe: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-duck-breast-with-ultra-crispy-skin
All four of us around the table were very pleased with the result. But if I were to plump for the more expensive duck breast, I wouldn’t think of cooking it sous vide. I’m looking forward to trying oxtails sous vide à la Scubadoo.

2 Likes

So are you indicating that sous-vide is more “suitable” for lower quality meat?

I have been fascinated about sous-vide when a chef showed it to me when I asked to visit the restaurant kitchen some 10 + years back. I have been thinking, if the quality of meat was superior, it would be melting in mouth tender and full of flavours, so what would be the difference of sous-vide melting in mouth and the real one?

The reason why I didn’t jump to this technique: not comfortable with the over dependence of plastics in cooking, and I don’t want my kitchen to look like a science lab. And lastly, I would still want to feel the texture of meat if the piece is crappy.

1 Like

Well, I guess it’s most suitable in cases where you want to dissolve the collagen without overcooking the meat. So that would imply lower quality meats.

And you are right about the plastic. The bags I buy proudly claim that they are free of BPA! Then I read on the internet that other chemicals are being used that have been less studied than BPA and may even be worse. So sous-vide is probably not something to do every day.

I have toyed around about buying a sous vide but the time I have for most cooking, thought that would be just another item used every once in a while.
I cook D’Artagnan’s moulard duck breast, which comes out perfect each time. The breast is always very tender. I am not as fond of the Rohan’s duck breast.
As for steak, it is a waste on my son who does not like rare meat. I even have to fight with him with the duck and show him the registered temperature of the meat to convince him it is cooked and he will not die from eating that piece of meat unlike my husband who loves a good rare steak with crispy perfectly browned outside. So, if I have to serve him beef, it is either NY Strip or Filet sliced very thin for sandwiches, stir fry or another way is charcoal beef, Korean style.
Have thought of buying Cinder Grill but it is still in its campaign stage. Had been for a while. I would like to wait for it to be available but it seems it is never taking off. It is not only expensive but I need counter space which I am not willing to give up unless it will not be an item that is idle. There was a wall in my kitchen that I have to have work on to accommodate a cinder grill and perhaps move my Wolf countertop gourmet oven into but as of last month, the space is no longer available because I have waited and waited and invested in some antique porcelain rose medallion paintings which I wlil not give up now…
Has anyone had the experience with a Cinder Grill? The only space I would is to use one of my vulcan stove’s specially made one piece 2 burner hot plate ( forgot the name) which we had ordered in 1979 for a french fish poacher or a rectangular steamer/server for steaming fish when we have company as the large round Chinese steamer is not long enough for a whole fish and I Have to reassemble the fish after it is cooked. We Chinese like to have a whole fish with head and tail intact.
I have to have someone disconnect the 2 burners so I would not turn it on by mistake ( there are 12 knobs on that darn 6’2" range and never can tell if I can make mistake or some guest can turn it on by mistake and cause a fire!)

I didn’t know about the Cinder Grill, so I looked and found this review: https://www.cnet.com/products/cinder-precision-grill/review/. The reviewer’s conclusion was too much money, too much space, go sous-vide instead. But if you are concerned about chemicals from the plastic leaching into your food, the Cinder Grill looks pretty good.

thanks
will wait and see when they are out of campaign
not for me but for my son as one day, he has to take over cooking

Very nice, Linda!

There’s a dish in Rheinland, Germany called “broad beans and Speck” (which also has cream). I don’t have any broad beans but made the dish the same way using other vegs instead.

I used beetroot, rhubarb and asparagus.

Gratuitous photo of great tit parent who has a brood in a bird box in my garden. Photo taken just this morning.

This is the nest box in autumn. Now the leaves and twigs cover it almost completely.

6 Likes

Sous vide has a place but it’s not for every thing

My most recent SV task was oxtails. Could do them many was but the SV method allowed me to set and forget then chill down the packs for later use. The set and forget is a big factor as well as being able to serve short ribs cooked tender but is pink and cuts like a tender steak. Not possible any other way

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to trying oxtail sous-vide, but probably in the fall, after the grill season is over. Short ribs is not an option, because they are not sold here; the meat is cut differently. I got them once as a special order, and paid through the nose!

Errands, and a very nice visit with Mom this afternoon. She’s doing well.

Dinner figured out on the way home in the rain. Took a small foil container of Mac & Ham & Cheese (a former Mom meal) out of the freezer, let it half-defrost and then baked it.

A side salad of shredded leaf lettuce, sliced cucumbers, radishes, and red bell pepper, with Penzeys Buttermilk Dressing augmented with extra fresh thyme and parsley. There was a glass of wine as well.

9 Likes

How fancy that the ramen comes with multiple packets! I’m a ramen amateur and haven’t seen that before.

Dinner was All of the Random Vegetables Shredded. A little wedge of cabbage (huh, that’s been around a while!), the last handful from a bag of shredded carrots, half of a zucchini, part of a red bell pepper, the last salvageable portion of some cilantro, whisked together red wine vinegar with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and dried mixed herbs. I massaged it all together and let it sit in the fridge a few hours. Side of some leftover rice and beans from the neverending beans and rice take away. (Tucked the rest away in the freezer for now)
Haha, extreme close up!

9 Likes

Massaged random vegtables. Super.

1 Like