What's for Dinner #30 - The Hearts & Flowers Edition - Feb '18

Yesterday, I had some time on my hands, so it was off to the local Indian market for supplies. After spending way too much time looking through cookbooks and on the internet for inspiration, I decided on navratna korma, palak chole, and chicken tikka masala. I should have tasted the korma and chole for salt before serving, as the salt level was a bit low after sitting for a while. Steven Raichlen’s naan recipe from the NYT was super easy and tasty. Leftovers for dinner tonight.

13 Likes

And Maesri red curry with beef and cauliflower it was. One of the easiest weeknight cheats. About as much prep as making a salad and a simmer. + some jasmine rice. Thank god for rice cookers too.

8 Likes

Fixed. Is your photo rotated already with your phone?

thanks. my photos in my phone are still rotated.

last night’s dinner were more of those NYT shrooms and toast. leftovers were breakfast! so good.

10 Likes

There is no better way to spend time.

7 Likes
  1. I wanted to cook tonight.

2. I wanted a mushroom pasta thingie.

3. I didn’t leave work until about 6:30.

4. I ended up with the last of the leftovers: steak, half a baked tater, broccoli. Oh, and sour cream for the tater.

5. Tomorrow, I head back up to Mom’s to take her clothes shopping, and then Sis meets us around lunchtime to start figuring out what’s trash, and start packing up what’s to be stored in Sis’s basement until Mom can go through it.

6. The only thing not left over was the VERY full glass of wine. :+1: (I couldn’t leave just a little bit in the bottle, right?)

7. Tomorrow I’ll pork it out.

6 Likes

That recipe is totally wrong, no way is butternut squash going to cook that fast. And it’s not something you want al dente!
My favorite salad combo with beets is with baby arugala and or spinach, very thin red onion, citrus segments (mandarin oranges are perfect but whatever you like) and either really thin celery or fennel. Dressing is a basic vinegrette with a good gob of dijon. Don’t forget salt and pepper. No idea if that’s a good side for duck though.
There’s also a very simple delicious russian salad that is basically chopped or shredded beets with walnuts and a little mayo (swap in sour cream or greek yogurt if you want), i like it chopped with lots of walnuts and some fresh dill. This recipe looks right, just taste and adjust as you go. Serve chilled

2 Likes

you are absolutely correct! I cut up the butternut squash, roasted it without adding the beets as I also did not believe butternut squash can be done in 8 minutes. Took me around 24 minutes, at which point I added the beets and roasted them another 8 minutes. Then, after they cooled down, I added the green apples , baby arugula and feta cheese /. My Dutch guest made the vinaigrette with lemon juice, EVOO, Grey Poupon Dijon and whole grain mustard The guests loved it . Here is a picture with an area taken out so my son can have his with parmesan cheese ( does not eat feta) Tonight’s guest was to introduce my son’s GF rom Amsterdam to his friends here. We had fried rockfish filet, fried shrimp ( both dipped in scrambled eggs, then sweet potato starch then panko ) Then we had the beet salad, some home made spring rolls, and almond float with canned lychees and mandarin orange for dessert. . There was plenty of wine, bourbon. Sorry, they ate the fried fish and shrimp s it came out served with lemon and frank’s hot wing sauce. After they rested for a while ( the party will continue

till ? , often they will stay over, we will have baby calamari fried in korean seafood dip ( this is for calamari as he prefers our home made mix for rockfish and shrimp ) The korean seafood mix is really great but one has to modify the instructions as well. ( written by a korean I guess) If they are still hungry, I have venison chili and some left over from lunch stir fry filet mignon in szechuan sauce , red pepper, snow peas and carrots.
Guests usually stay in the kitchen or go outdoor, so they eat as food are being fried… No chance of taking pictures. I will upload more pictures if I do not forget

7 Likes

Here is the dessert from last night
I had made 2 recipes, , I have one whole recipe left over
Almond float with canned lychees and canned mandarin orange with their juice.
Very refreshing esp when served during summer

In an interesting and surprising turn of events they decided to “restructure “ our team, and apparently the designer who has been there for six months and has very little experience with my area of expertise will just do her job as well as what my job was since “my position was eliminated “ (read i’m a lot more expensive than she is).
Soooo… there’s that.
Which may also explain my so called dinner.
I met a friend for happy hour-ing, and then took the long way home to stop for the best garlic knots in manhattan- aka exactly what i want after drinks.

And then had some of this for dessert

I always knew it wasn’t my forever job and in a way it’s a relief to step out of that crazytown

12 Likes

What a turn of events! A break is somewhat the best for you now, I’m sure you will soon find the door for something suits you better.

1 Like

Wow. From what you’ve shared here, it sounds like it was an insane place to work. All my best wishes for your next chapter. And please keep posting here!

1 Like

So sorry to hear,
Can’t recommended the blog AskAManager.com enough for help with coping, applying and interviewing. (and I haven’t any connection with the site).
I hope you continue to post here. I have enjoyed your dinners!

4 Likes

But only after working you to death for the last month. [I may have to try a garlic knot one day. Those look like carby goodness to me.]

1 Like

It still sucks when it happens. Something perfect is just around the corner, @Ttrockwood!

1 Like

Long day. Took Mom shopping, then lunch, then starting the packing with my sister. Made a good dent.

Dinner tonight - TJ’s pork belly with a pomegranate-orange-sriracha glaze, herbed Israeli couscous, and steamed asparagus.

There was wine. And tomorrow, I’ll do nothing. Except maybe laundry. Yeah, I need to do that.

7 Likes

Back in Santa Cruz. The dirty deed of moving. Plus doing my taxes. Two week project. Tri tip on the grill with macaroni salad. No vegtables. Plenty of wine to drink. :wine_glass::wine_glass:Cheers.

3 Likes

Wow, that’s pretty huge even though it’s probably a good thing for you in the long run. Very stressful. Good that you pampered yourself and met up with a friend for support. Keep us posted! I’m sure I’m not alone in wishing you good thoughts.

4 Likes

2 nights of ez chicken i have been run ragged the last few weeks not enough hours in the day. The couchguests fend for themselves if I dont feed them but sometimes that is worse. I bagged driving up to the mountains as its rainy and no skiing. Hoping for a bit more winter soon. Friday was a 1 pan chicken and artichoke casserole & tonight a roast chicken and basic garden salad . I just left it on the counter for them to serve themselves. Carcas is in the crock I’ll make soup tomorrow. 20180223_220938
(upload://gYI9kULv1ia2cklztIAU8vCn2d3.jpg)

10 Likes