What's for Dinner #30 - The Hearts & Flowers Edition - Feb '18

That broccoli really does sound fabulous! I bet you could do a similar prep for cauliflower or brussel sprouts too…

1 Like

Tonight was a rather simple dinner. An airline breast cooked on the pizza steel on the grill with a baked potato. The steel work really well. The breast was barely 160 and pinkish, juicy, crusty and tasty

5 Likes

I agree. I used to buy Cento at TJs and now buy king Oscar on amazon.

Got home a bit late last night and just had a snacky dinner because i had a crazy late lunch. Lots of Edamame with furikake, some sliced of smoked tofu, some kimchi, and miso soup mug. Whatever.

I had actually made the salad dressing from this recipe sunday night (without the maple syrup and used mixed nut butter instead of all cashew) and had also made my usual big batch of basic massaged curly kale (lemon juice, salt, a little olive oil) since i like it actually softened and it’s good for days- usually part of my lunch.
Anyways, it was weird warm today and had a salad for dinner!! In February!!! I used some of the massaged kale, chopped cucumber, cherry tomatoes, lots of cilantro, a handful of hemp seeds, cubed smoked tofu, lots of sliced radishes this really delicious salad dressing. It was totally enormous by the time i finished chopping and tossing everything in the bowl so the rest will be lunch tomorrow.

4 Likes

Put a gorgeously marbled chuck roast in the slow cooker this morning, on a bed of onions, garlic, thyme and rosemary with a splash of red wine. Forgot to turn it on and remembered only after I had stepped onto the train. UGH. So now there’s a gorgeously marbled rotting chuck roast wrapped in a few layers of garbage bags waiting for our next trash pickup. Cheese and olives for dinner. Is it Friday yet?

7 Likes

I just forgot a step on my oven chicken. It was a big one. The butter. Looked over but I saved it. It’s one of those days.

You’re always my go-to ttrock. Love your vegetarian cooking.

2 Likes

Ha, I just read that as “I just forgot I stepped on my oven chicken. It was a big one.” Glad that wasn’t the case!

3 Likes

The vegetables were the star of the show. My oven chicken came off the tracks and I got it back. Turned out to be good. Wine to drink. Cheers🍷. Headed back to Santa Cruz to finally move all my stuff. Looking forward to really having some good fish. No fish to be found here.

9 Likes

Many Happy Returns!.. Beautiful plate!..You ate the whole thing?

1 Like

Bummer! I’m making a chuck roast this morning and just checked to make sure I turned it on! 5/10 I set the pressure cooker without sealing it and come back to…nothing happening

Thanks! I always eat the whole thing :slight_smile: (minus the one or two bites the cat steals or is given to make her go away).

I am glad u found anchovies to your liking.
Not all Costco caries it. Just the bigger Costco, for things like anchovies, cooked maple duck legs that I can think of right now. That is why I try to go to Pentagon Costco, which is the largest Costco that stocks everything. I had 7 tins left but went a couple days ago, bought 2 more orders, , 6/more . So, I am all set with 19 tins. They are a must for me.

whatever went wrong with your chicken it turned out looking great. Nice colors on the plate too!

it was 75 degrees here in Philadelphia last night - ran out to get charcoal - burgers, chicken, potato salad, ic berg salad a case of cold beer - a summer Saturday night on a mid-week Feb day. Tonight will be a thai coconut curry (maesri) with beef and cauliflower when i get back from a late meeting

5 Likes

that chicken skin is fab!

1 Like

I’ve been experimenting with a few grain free dough mixes to try to find an easy go to for my mom (read: caretakers) and hit on a winner tonight. Simple Mills artisan bread dough mix. I have tried the pizza dough mix but the bread dough had a crispier more pizza-ish like texture though I did alter the instructions. First try, half of the oil and second try, no oil and the second try definitely yielded the best thin crust crispy result. I usually just toss toppings in a bowl or on chicken but it’s nice to find a go to for crust pizza nights and the instructions are super simple so my mom’s caretakers should have few complaints (I hope…).

Flax crackers and macadamia nut “ricotta” for dessert - this nut cheese definitely needs more seasoning but was pretty good spread on the crackers

4 Likes

:blush:
Thanks!

Meeting prep for the next meeting tomorrow with the creative director went well today, so we’re as ready as we can be…
another long day but it’s back to being cold here. I decided a Miso Soup of Stuff sounded appealing- and i have at least three different miso pastes on hand in large quantity. I used the medium brown one for my broth. Added in some of my leftover plain massaged kale, the rest of my smoked tofu, a packet of crumbled nori snacks, some shredded carrot, scallions, and a good dribble of toasted sesame oil. Fresh bean sprouts on top for something crunchy. Maybe ten minutes from opening the fridge to bowl.
I’ll probably need a snack before sleeping (waking up hungry at 3AM is the worst because i can’t get back to sleep unless i have something but once i have something i’m too awake to go back to sleep easily…). Odds are good that will be nut butter from a spoon unless i decide dark chocolate with nut butter sounds better.

3 Likes

These are Costco purchased organic gefen whole peeled cooked beets. It comes 3 packs in the box. The beets have been pickled and cooked prior to vacuum sealing. There is a recipe on the box for beets and apple salad using 4 beets, 8 oz butternut squash, 2 green kale, 2 tbsp oil and 2 oz feta cheese. Recipe is to toss the beets with butternut squash with S/P and 2 tbsp oil in a sheet pan at 350 F for 6-8 minutes. Cool the butternut squash , cut into wedges and refrigerate till thoroughly chilled. Cut the apples , beets into wedges similar to butternut squash. Layer them with kale and crumble the feta on top.

I haven’t tried it but son does not eat feta, and am not sure his guest would like beets. I guess I can use parmesan cheese or the old amsterdam cheese. I like it mainly for the color that I see posted using beet juice or beet. I probably will make duck breast and/ or maple duck legs for one meal, perhaps use this as a salad as I like duck with apples, in particular apples sauteed in butter and duck fat with a splash of apple liquor and brown sugar, with potatoes cooked in duck fat. Perhaps the above recipe will work. Any other suggestion? I also am not sure if the butternut squash will be cooked in 6-8 minutes. I guess the recipe has been proven to work, perhaps they want t crunchy similar to the consistency of the beets. I have read very good review on this beets but some reviewer says the color is brown instead of the red color that I wanted for presentation.

The guest brought a big chunk of Old Amsterdam cheese which we used last night with my venison chili and Ben’s half smoke ( from DC’s famous chili bowl) , with sauerkraut for me and crumbled old Amsterdam cheese instead of the usual reserve cheddar. It was very good as the venison is a small doe, no gamey taste cooked with red wine.

My last photo also came out rotated. I wander why? Sorry but that is the way it came out when uploaded.

3 Likes