What's for Dinner #30 - The Hearts & Flowers Edition - Feb '18

Some mori soba with garlic chive scrambled eggs.

IMG_4548

10 Likes

i keep on seeing members using beets for coloring, as side dish carb /veg dish
they looked beautiful
i only use canned beets when i make my chicken salad mixed with fruit cocktail, potato and beets
yesterday, i bought box of organic beets from costco

1 Like

I’ve been craving sushi for 18 months (but…Ohio…) and finally reached out to my neighbors for recommendations. It’s my special day so treated myself to a free tea at Starbucks and massage this morning (my first!) then picked up sushi for a late lunch/early dinner. I skipped the recommendations for Kroger and tried out a Japanese steakhouse just 5 minutes from my house and was not disappointed. I am intrigued enough to try this Kroger sushi later as so many neighbors recommended it.

10 Likes

Out of honest curiosity…

I notice that not only do you cook often, but you cook in large quantities. I think you mentioned before that you live alone when your son isn’t visiting you. What do you do with all the food you make? Do you end up freezing it, or sharing with neighbors? I think it’s amazing that you cook all these meals just for yourself (if that is the case!).

1 Like

Great. I love roasted beets. I like the sweet earthy taste. Color is a bonus

1 Like

Chicken thighs with fennel seed, bay leaf, red pepper flecks, salt, pepper, olive oil , potatoes, olives and cipollini onions. 450 oven for 40-50 minutes…easy peasy and really tasty.

10 Likes

when my son is in this country, ( he is here more and more), he eats almost every 2 hours. Then, his friends usually come here and stay over. I try to feed them as we live far away from the city. I do freeze a lot. I have a 14 quart commercial calphalon cookware dedicated for mixing and simmering spring rolls ingredients after they are individually cooked. . Since 2 weeks ago, started cooking each ingredient individually , then freezing them in 2 Q commercial containers. Today, I am making more Law Taw Kwa ( extra firm tofu) and some carrots and cabbage. I defrosted the 16 q ingredients that were frozen, cooked some more to a total of 24 Q, mixed them the calphalon cookware in 2 batches and simmered then for a few hours, and will attempt to roll 200 spring rolls for a guest arriving from Amsterdam for 8 days. Naturally, during her visit, she would be introduced to my son’s friends who probably will visit. The rest of the ingredients, , I will freeze , take out some to roll in March as we always have a party if not two then. Probably have enough till summer, then, I will make a second batch then for August, and the rest of the year. Yes, we always have friends and neighbors over. I have 2 pomeranians who eat mainly raw venison for breakfast. Hunters give me venison as it is forbidden to sell venison in Maryland. They give the deer meat and I pay for butchering Fair deal! I always repay their kindness with spring rolls .

7 Likes

Happy Birthday! :cake:

4 Likes

Sushi looks awesome! Happy Birthday!

3 Likes

Cleaning out the fridge. Frittata with the extras. Potatoes. Valentina’s hot sauce. Wine to drink🍷 cheers.

9 Likes

your frittata is such a nice sunny yellow!

1 Like

What the BF likes to call “bean toast” - Rancho Gordo Alubia Blanco beans cooked with garlic, rosemary and thyme over toasted italian bread, drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice; steamed broccoli tossed with garlicky buttered toasted breadcrumbs, oregano, red chili flakes, olive oil, parm and lemon juice, and beer brat sausage. beans were great but the broccoli stole the show for me.

broccoli%20with%20breadcrumbs

12 Likes

It’s funny in most of my meals. The vegetable always steals the show.

3 Likes

not mine. i don’t get very creative with veggies, unfortunately. i should try harder.

found the offending spot, wiped it clean. (the cake pics were taken with my cellphone.)

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks

Am preparing venison chili for tomorrow’s guest arriving from Amsterdam
Caramelized 2 onions ( sweet and red) in EVOO, added tons of garlic, 4 pounds of ground venison ( no beef or pork fat added per request ), some fennel pollen, coastal bay seasoning to the venison, half a stick of butter, bay leaf and a box of new mexico hatch chili powder mix ( ready to serve in 15 min), gift from a friend otherwise I usually make my own red enchilada sauce with different kinds of chili pods. Still too tame for us, added some chipotle adobo sauce, then 3 tins of red , beans, a tin of white beans, one tin of corn, a few tbsp tomato paste, a tin of tomatoes, simmered a bit, then half a bottle of merlot wine ( from trader Joe’s).
Will serve this with Ben’s half

smoke ( DC 's Ben’s chili bowl made famous by Bill Cosby and Obama is now on sale at Costco for 11.99 . I am not sure if it is a one time deal with Costco. I bought a 5 pound box from Nick’s Italian deli, but now unavailable. Second purchase in 2 weeks from Costco in 3 weeks. It is Lean ). Also will have available reserve cheddar cheese , tortilla , sauerkraut for side dish… No sour cream. Son does not like sour cream . Picture of half smoke is rotated. Sorry. The chili looks too thin today but am adjusting for tomorrow when liquid will continue to get absorbed.

8 Likes

The rest of the cauliflower alfredo was put to good use tonight-salisbury steak meatballs over black bean spaghetti with cauliflower alfredo. The bowl will go in my new dishwasher which was installed today and I can safely put it on the top rack without holding my breath praying the rack won’t crash to the floor followed by 30 minutes of me reattaching plastic wheels to rusted connectors. I also won’t have to soak the bowl overnight so it’s basically clean before putting it in the washer. I’m sooo excited for a fully functional dishwasher.

5 Likes

I hope things calm down a bit soon and I can catch up on my posts. Chinese New Year was a blast.

Wanted to post about tinned anchovies, since folks here helped me with that. I couldn’t find any at Costco, but did pick up some from Restaurant Depot. I haven’t tried them yet. Today I used King Oscar brand in puttanesca sauce and was quite happy with those. Far better than Cento brand, in my opinion.

2 Likes