What's for Dinner #30 - The Hearts & Flowers Edition - Feb '18

Thanks! Same with the coconut oil spray. Last month it took bananas about a month to ripen, it was pretty impressive. It feels comfortable to me even though I’m chronically cold but it’s apparently pretty cold. I find the cat sleeping on the floor vents quite often.

1 Like

Potsticker stir fry, one of my favorites.

Dessert while watching hallmark channel - Greek yogurt with a mix and match of toppings - frozen banana, granola, date chocolate spread and almond butter. The date spread is a new find and oh so good.

2 Likes

Papa M Take and Bake. It was made with love. Enjoyed it with a great friend. I would order it again. Beer to drink​:beer::beers: cheers.

5 Likes

Yes, the Rasika version has flawed instructions.

For what it’s worth, the tamarind chutney I’ve eaten my whole life is pretty tame, although I know some folks make a hotter version.

1 Like

Linda, Very tough issue have been going through that same matter with my Mom. What I have come to realize is that it is real hard for my Mom to take a step whereby that she is giving up her freedom, which is not the case.
The shell of your double stuff looks yum…

1 Like

shitty pic of a pretty good, quick, dinner. a very loose take on SmittenKitchen/Pok-Pok’s crispy egg salad, made with defrosted spicy Vietnamese ground pork from a couple months ago, jasmine rice, chopped celery leaves & scallions, nuoc cham made with blood orange (out of limes) and a part of an old jalapeno for heat, a crispy fried and chopped egg for each, sriracha at the table.

9 Likes

It was a Mom Meals Day. She’s decided to move to the assisted living home in Foxboro, but it’ll take a little while to get her in there. So I’ll stock her freezer with home cooked meals, because I found out Meals On Wheels is pretty meh.

Made today - Roasted Pepper & Chicken-Corn Chowder, Mac & Ham & Cheese, and Pork and Sweet Potato Stew (the last was also dinner for me tonight).

I’ll be making Pot Roast and Chicken Pot Pies tomorrow for Mom (I hope), even though it won’t be the weather for either meal. Will go up to Mom’s on Tuesday (I took the day off) to “feed her freezer” and take her grocery shopping.

15 Likes

Oh, best wishes for the transition and all that that entails. The dishes all look wonderful and comforting. :heart:

5 Likes

Friday night I ordered take away from the good chinese (Shanghai style) place near my office as an homage to CNY, they serve dim sum at dinner! Actually well known for their XLB but my diligent efforts have yet to find a vegetarian version…
i got the veggie dumplings and mushroom and bok choy dumplings. Stopped for cider at the good bodega.

I sautéed a bunch of greens with some sesame oil and soy while rewarming a few buns in my new steamer (!), got the folding metal one that did the job.
Leftover dumplings were my saturday brunch :slight_smile:

I saw this recipe for slow roasted sweet potatoes on SK and gave it a try sat since i was home anyhow, i used a few japanese sweet potatoes. Roasted some spiced chickpeas that landed ontop of my salad, the sweet potato with generous salt and (vegan) butter on the side.

These tasty coconut puffs were dessert- fun find a different neighborhood bodegaimage
Like fluffy coconut cheetos!

Was at the office all afternoon- idontwannatalkaboutit- and somehow the japanese sweet potatoes didn’t really hit the spot, so i picked up regular sweet potatoes and roasted a big pan of them with generous olive oil. I made a hippie bowl with some quinoa, salad greens, the sweet potatoes, spiced chickpeas, hemp seeds, nutritional yeast and lots of cilantro. Kombucha a la carteimage

8 Likes

Korean new year food continued. Slow-cooked veal ribs with doenjang. I marinated them overnight then steamed for a few hours. Very tender but still has a bite to it (how I like it), as opposed to mushy kind of tenderness. The sauce is super nice but also super fatty so I didn’t touch it. The well flavoured ribs were enough.

Almost like in Korea but this time I made everything myself. Side dishes: red cabbage kimchi, shredded seasoned daikon, pickled daikon, seasoned mung bean shoots. Damn, went to Korea for 2 weeks and now I endeavour to make a typical meal from scratch. Wish I had Korean friends to impress haha…

7 Likes

We all make blurry photos sometimes. Your version sounds better than their recipe (even before I had seen your photo)! :drooling_face:

another blurry pic! sorry, but i’m posting it anyway. i made gumbo for the first time and loved it. need to get my roux darker next time (this after spending 35+ minutes stirring it - heat may have been too low), and i’ll definitely try the oven method. but it was sooooo tasty.

10 Likes

Slow is the way to go with roux. But it freezes well so a larger batch makes the time an investment for quicker future gumbos!

6 Likes

I’m hooked on all things puréed cauliflower these days. I made a big batch of cauliflower “alfredo” on Saturday for the week. Sunday I used it as the sauce for sautéed shrimp with bacon, garlic and ghee over rice.

6 Likes

Tonight I made crab cakes with leaf salad and beet salad. Used the dregs of a cut avocado to build the salad dressing

11 Likes

Cold leftover pizza at my desk ;( living vicariously through y’all tonight mmm those shrimp and those beets!

6 Likes

The rest of the Mom Meals were made. I’ll be bringing containers of each up of what I’ve made in the past two days to her tomorrow, with more in my downstairs freezer should she need more as we wait for the entry into the A/L facility.

Today was chicken pot pie (store-bought crust that I cut out to fit the round containers) and Lemon Pot Roast. I called her before dinner today asking what she wanted for dinner tomorrow - she chose the pot pie, as she was having the last of the Guinness Beef Stew tonight I had made for her awhile back. So I kept one of those in the fridge vs. freezing it for later eating.

There was wine.

13 Likes

third time’s a charm with blurry photos! i think something’s on my lens…

last night made the NYT’s Creamy Polenta with Mushrooms. loved it! BF got chicken too because meat. i used dried shitakes, and fresh criminis and trumpets. I also have to say i probably did 5 times the amount of butter and parm for the polenta that the recipe called for… but those mushrooms are perfect as is.

also made a chocolate bundt cake for the BF (and he glazed it for me), and since it was so huge, brought some in for my Old Man Boss.

12 Likes

I see it now. The blur/smear is always on the left (of the photo). Shine a light on the lens and see if you can spot something.

1 Like

thanks, will do!