What's for Dinner #30 - The Hearts & Flowers Edition - Feb '18

:joy::joy: and YES!! Only that clear communication thing is kinda not his strong point… generally i just can’t/won’t work the same nutso hours i used to, but moving up the meeting and the general Next Level Crisis made it non-optional. At least my direct boss was there with me…

5 Likes

My wife likes fish above all the rest, so for V-Day I made Cobia in a lemon grass flavored coconut broth with Patagonian scallops residing under the surface

15 Likes

Dinner at home!!
(Thankfully still employed! Creative director seems to have issue with my direct boss and how he is merchandising the collection to look cohesive vs what my ideas are for styling/details/trend…so huge sigh of relief for me…!!)
After “only” 11hrs i picked up a fancy hard cider and some snacky plate essentials at my neighborhood whole foods.

Appetizer: hard cider
Dinner: snacky plate with edamame in pods i tossed with some furikake after steaming, purchased seaweed salad, a few of the vegan Shanghai style dumplings i bought with some sesame oil/soy sauce to dip, homemade kimchi, cucumbers dipped in white miso paste and a few slices of that baked Hodo tofu i love. Took a while to eat but I don’t recall having lunch…?
Dessert: new homemade kombucha experiment! I’m playing with a tiny tiny bit of cayanne in a ginger/pomegranate/lemon combo. Entirely possible it will burn the heck out of my mouth, overflow from the cayanne producing too much carbonation, or not be noticeable at all.

10 Likes

More or less the same old same old. Except harvested my first McCloud rainbow. cooked in butter with a little flour![20180214_205644|393x700](upload://kiDpmedXa8tzbNGf1B9sd5Ctv8c.jpg

2 Likes

11 Likes

ooh, did you make your arepas or store-bought? i really want to try my hand at them sometime…

yum. stupid fish-hating boyfriend.

that dill rice looks fabulous!

You know my wife hated fish when I met her. Some traumatic incident with some fish her mom made.

I started slowly with poached white fish since it really mellows the flavor (aka bland). Worked up from there. Palate rehabilitation.

So long ago. Now she only wants to eat fish

6 Likes

i’ve tried. and it’s not like he doesn’t eat some - like, he’ll eat shrimp scampi, ceviche, some kinds of sushi, oysters sometimes, mussels… but cooked fish, no. i’ve done steamed cod with aromatics - ginger and green onions - and he says it’s fine, but he never wants it for a meal.

I’m the same way – I eat shellfish but not fish. I cook it for the family, and I’ll make some shrimp or scallops for myself using the same preparation.

1 Like

Store bought, but we talked about making them too. Although it will be easier to find
the recipe if I spelled arepas correctly…:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

:grin: no worries! i’ve found a couple. may try them this weekend…

Pan fried grouper cheeks with roasted fennel

8 Likes

We are slowly getting back to normal here at Chez Tucker. Tonight, I made an Indian meal which took a lot longer than I had planned. Oops. We threw out the Tamarind Date chutney when the fridge died. So, needed to make some more. Tried a new version from the cookbook Rasika. And then I remembered that I had used the last of the ghee. Oops. Now I needed to make some ghee. Then and only then, I was able to start on the meal– dry fried lamb meat or what we simply call Samosa Meat in our house, some garlic dal, cauliflower with scallions and mustard seeds, and some basmati rice.

The Rasika version of Tamarind-Date chutney had some flaws in the instructions. It is also possible that there are some flaws in the ingredients. After pressing through a colander, I had to reduce the chutney by almost half to get to the “applesauce” texture that the book describes. It is lacking the chile kick that I enjoy. In fact, it seems fairly tame. Lately, the ginger available at my markets has been, well, dull. This was also reflects in the chutney. I had planned to make a mango chutney as well, but four hours on my feet was all I could take.

No pictures. Totally forgot.

There is enough food from tonight’s meal that we can have it again tomorrow. I will use that mango then.

6 Likes

Seared Cobia, pan roasted fennel and avocado. The fennel was the star. Not that the fish was lacking but the fennel was just so sweet and delicious and paired well with the creamy avocado

9 Likes

Long day visiting an assisted living facility with Mom, sister, and two stepbrothers in Foxboro. Lunch was impressively good - not a typical place. I think Mom liked it well enough. The traffic on Route 93 taking Mom home was NOT good. Took twice as long getting her home as it took me to get down to Foxboro.

Lots to think about for Mom.

Planned dinner was rejiggered with me getting home later than I thought tonight. Chicken thighs were seasoned with salt, pepper, and minced fresh thyme and browned in hot butter and oil. Chicken removed, added about 2 Tbsp. of Meyer lemon juice, 1/3 cup of white wine, and some honey-mustard, whisked to make a pan sauce. Poured that over the chicken thighs and into a hot oven to finish cooking.

Rice pilaf and broccoli alongside. Definitely wine.

15 Likes

Walnut shrimp without walnuts to kick off birthday vacation week. Pretty tasty though my house is freezing and I mixed in the honey with the mayo before realizing it wasn’t going to mix well because it was so hard and then couldn’t microwave it so honey was a little chunky.

7 Likes

Dinner was cataplana with seafood and andoiulle sausage
I used my wok to caramelize onions with EVOO, added garlic, 2 andouille sausage, a sweet red pepper, chipotle and adobo sauce, a few pickled hot pepper. I then added this to the seafood reassembled

in my cataplana, namely a bag of little neck clams, one calamari that I flowered, a few patagonia shrimp, deglazed the wok with white wine, added shrimp stock to cover the seafood, then, cooked in the cataplana, medium heat. It took 9 minutes. (Cataplana is the name of the dish as well as the vessel which was invented in Portugal, ws the prototype for the present day pressure cooker. ) Uncovered, added more EVOO, juice of one lemon, some dehydrated parsley ( no fresh one available), served with Nick’s Italian deli french garlic bread. I think I will see if I can find Foochow fish ball ( stuffed with pork) that is made in NY. They would be good addition to my cataplana dish. I do not like to buy the ones made in China. My carpenter who lived with us for 3 years used to return to NY every few months , would order them from NY as we can be sure they are gluten free made with sweet potato starch and rice flour. The ones from China cannot be trusted as far as being gluten free and I worry about the pork stuffing also.

10 Likes

Happy birthday vacation week!!
I can totally relate to cold apartment issues- my coconut oil spray likes to clog til i run it under hot water and i swear my avocados take twice as long to get ripe than in the summer…

1 Like

Errands. Mixed in with loooooooonnnnggggg phone calls with family members after yesterday’s asstd. living facility visit.

Dinner. Spicy orange-sesame marinated round steak (orange juice, rice wine vinegar, teriyaki sauce, sriracha, orange zest, Aleppo pepper, minced garlic and a shit ton of grated ginger) grilled on the grill pan and finished in the oven.

A crispy-outside-fluffy-inside baked tater with a shit ton of butter, some s/p and sour cream, and sauteed spinach with garlic and toasted pine nuts.

There was wine. Need to gird my loins for a lot of Mom Meals to tide her over until she decides what she’s going to do with her living situation.

11 Likes