What's for Dinner #30 - The Hearts & Flowers Edition - Feb '18

Nope, nothing special on Valentines day. I am actually running a community meeting that night - am doubting we will get attendance but it’s a monthly date too hard to change. Maybe I will bring fancy donuts to the office I have a gift certificate that I have not used

1 Like

Some of our meals from the last few days…

Friday night was Korean BBQ in honor of the Olympics opening ceremony. I think I accidentally erased the picture because it’s no longer on my phone! :open_mouth: I bought premarinaded chicken and bone-in short ribs from the Korean market and grilled them at home. Served with pickled daikon and cucumber, white rice and lettuce leaves.

Saturday night’s dinner was pork with capers, garlic and lemon, served with Parmesan roasted potatoes, and Ottolenghi’s roasted carrots with tahini sauce. Total mish-mash of food, but I really wanted to make the carrots as I had been craving them for a while!

Sunday night was homemade pizza. Used pepperoni, italian sausage, homemade sauce, olives, bell peppers, onion, and jalapeno. I ended up putting them on a sheet pan and cooking them outside on the grill, as my oven has been a little wonky and shutting off on it’s own. I was worried that it would shut off mid-bake, so decided to use the grill instead. I oiled the pan as we wanted a crispy thin crust this time. Came out nicely. Made 2 pizzas so we’d have leftovers for lunch on Monday.

Last night’s dinner was Malaysian style Indian. :slight_smile: Yellow dal with green chillies, onion, and curry leaves, luncheon meat stirfried with curry leaves, green chillies, turmeric, and dark soy sauce, fried bitter melon salad with lemon and onion, and papad. All served with white rice.

15 Likes

Alll of the :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:!! I have to make this myself, unfortunately all restaurant versions i have found aren’t vegetarian… i am kind of totally obsessed with Maangi.

1 Like

Impressive meals lately- that carrots and tahini recipe was such an eye opener for me! Ottolenghi made me A Beliver when it comes too tahini and now i am never without it

2 Likes

It’s a super easy recipe too, basically chop up some ingredients and throw in a pot, boil 10 minutes, put some tofu in there if you like, and then boil 10 more minutes and top with scallions. I guess the stock takes a little time but you can make a bunch and freeze it. For a veg version maybe use kombu stock? And leave out the pork of course.

My boss’s boss (the creative director) has a legit screw loose upstairs and every once in a while he pitches a fit like a bratty irrational british child. Soooooo, that’s been upping the STRESS level in a major way- mostly because he moved our presentation UP by four entire days with less than 36hrs notice.
Long story short “dinner” last night was a joke, it was basically (more) caffeine and this surprisingly good instant lentil quinoa salad salad cup from my desk drawer
http://shop.rightfoods.com/Lentil-Quinoa-Salad/p/DRM-011339&c=DrMcDougalls@Salads
Once home i found the emergency stash of those mini dark chocolate peanut butter cups and had a few while debating working more or going out to find vodka.
Settled for a long shower and four hours (maybe) of sleep.

Tonight was deja vu but after working 13hrs straight (again) i had to not be there anymore and i just stopped for the great mushroom roll and sweet potato roll at beyond sushi. Had those with a sad side salad from random fridge veggies and a lot of kombucha.
https://beyondsushinyc.com/beyondnew/menu

Hopefully tomorrow night i will go home still employed and at a decent time. Either way there will be :wine_glass:! Just a matter of one glass vs a whole lot more.

5 Likes

Color me purple. Beets from the garden with garlic sour cream and Dill . Basmati rice cooked with the beet juice and Dill. I’m into Dill tonight. Throwing a loop into the mix. Island chicken with cilantro. Wine to drink.:wine_glass: cheers.!
The beets are the star of the show.

7 Likes

Vacation on the horizon, just 3 hectic days until a week locked in the house living in peace recharging this introvert battery. Last night I made a version of Chinese sesame chicken with dates, it was pretty good. I used fewer dates than called for and it was subtly sweet without being cloying like many American style sesame chicken dishes.

9 Likes

Remind me my days of agencies, worked 14-15 hours a day for presentation. A lot of take out (pizzas, sushis, Chinese roasted meat rice boxes, noodles, sandwiches), taxi trip home, loud music after hours. CDs are the same everywhere in the world it seems, last minute craze.

1 Like

I’ll have to see if i can find any frozen ones here.

Prussian veal meatballs. I ran out of breadcrumbs and knew there was almond meal in the cupboard so that’s what I used in the mince. The almond meal made the balls “springy” I found out. Will use it again in the future.

There should have been beetroot on the side but I was in a hurry and left it on the kitchen counter the whole time the photos were being made.

6 Likes

Those meatballs look good! I used almond meal for meatballs (after soaking in milk) a few times during a brief experimentation with low carb, i thought it was a decent substitute.

1 Like

those beets! that rice! the chicken too!

1 Like

Beautiful. Those potatoes almost look like lemons. Interesting sub on the almond meal. What is the sauce made from?

1 Like

The balls are cooked in a savoury broth (I used pork) and some of it is used to make the white sauce which has cream, lemon juice and a pinch of flour. Very easy to make. Here’s a recipe, on an Australian food site but it’s pretty much like those I’ve seen in German.

This dish is well known in Germany. In Berlin one can eat it at many restaurants.

@Mr_Happy, thanks. I didn’t soak the almond meal. It’s quite fine and the mince (with beaten eggs) was moist enough.

3 Likes

If you allow the boss to command you to work those hours, without you saying no…then you better have the results he wants…BUT IF YOU COMMUNICATE THE ASSINIE REQUIREMENTS AND GOALS, THEN PERHAPS YOU CAN WORK A NORMAL 8 HOURS PER DAY IN A RESONABLE ENVIROMENT…just saying…

1 Like

PS…I have been an employer of persons since 1982, and have always realized that my people have a life after work…and I have always paid a premium to work beyond those thresholds…I am both pro labor and pro business…WIN/WIN

4 Likes

Happy Valentine’s Day! We did not have lobster tonight but did have an arapa topped with chicken, cheese, bean/corn salad, salsa, lettuce and sour cream. Was very good.
Wine for me, an Aperol spritzer for him.

9 Likes

Japchae a la Maangchi minus the beef.

And there was an egg white left over from the japchae, so a pisco sour for dessert.

10 Likes

Looks like fresh dill and beets were a similar theme yesterday!

2 Likes