What's for Dinner #30 - The Hearts & Flowers Edition - Feb '18

I have lots of steamers. Chinese round steamer that stacks 3 layers high ( steam multiple chinese New year’s glutinous rice cake, turnip cakes, fish without head etc, a rectangular American buffet server where I steam my big fish for presentation if I do not want to chop their head or tail off, double boiler/steamer that comes with the All Clad and the foldable steamer shown as well as racks that came with rice cooker that can be used as steamer and rack with the turbo broiler. However, when I have morning breakfast with one or 2 bao, I never even bother to steam it. Wrap it with a wet paper towel, into the microwave for a minute or less depending on whether it is frozen or not ! Instant steamed SIO PAO meaning Hot Wrap in my dialect.

1 Like

Helped dispatch (well, i watched and squealed) and prepare 8 lobsters for our lobster roll party last night at friends’ house. blanched, then shells removed, then sous-vided in butter (butter in packets, packets in water). they turned out fantastic, a huge hit. and we estimated exactly right - 14 people total, no lobster left. (One adult and maybe a couple of the kids didn’t have any.) 30 split-top buns were ordered from a company in Maine, and we only ended up with 3 left over. We had some mayo out, but most everyone just went with pure melted butter. Someone’s kid made Annie’s mac&cheese, and Cape Cod Chips was the other side. Salad the hostess made never came out of the fridge. it was a belated bday party, too, for one of the hosts, so there was a beautiful store-bought mimosa cake, and a homemade panna cotta with an incredible rose water/lemon syrup. Oodles & oodles of champagne was guzzled. Fab time.

this bun was a little dark!

13 Likes

A quick tapa dinner. Had a garlic loaf that was sliced, oiled, seasoned and pan toasted then topped with sliced avocado, sliced seared scallops and topped with peppery greens tossed with olive oil a squeeze of orange and salt . Hard to get color on the scallops with out drying them out. Pushed my buttons.

10 Likes

I usually sear with very high heat for short time, sometimes with butter, this will add a nice colour on both side. Will slice it after cooking.

2 Likes

I contemplated that after pre slicing. Too late. They were nice and juicy so I was happy

3 Likes

I do dry them, leave it overnight in fridge, but also learned another trick from presunto , that is to dust them with baking powder to make them alkaline. It gives the scallops a very nice crispy exterior with the interior still tender and juicy

1 Like

I have a glucose alkaline mix to enhance browning but they cooked so quickly I didn’t want to alter the basic taste just for color

1 Like

They were nice and juicy. That’s what matters. Sometimes the sear it’s just for show it’s a fine line. Real nice

Both you and Scubadoo97 are absolutely correct. However, I also cook for my son who likes his scallops with a brown crust otherwise he complains that the scallops are not cooked. So, with the two methods, drying overnight in fridge plus dusting with baking powder, I can get a nice crispy crust in a short period of time with combination of butter and EVOO, in hot cast iron skillet rather than longer for a nice crust but drier interior. I like to make triple delight but that means the scallops are not seared to a brown crust and he told me to omit the scallops, so it is double delight since instead of triple delight, omittin my scallops.

1 Like

I contenpated eating them raw. Which I think would have been killer. I like the little Patagonian scallops or bays but we don’t get bays any more

what matters is it taste good! I never take time to make pictures for presentation.
As for bay scallops, do not like them. We do not have patagonian scallops but I like patagonian red shrimp.
Growing up, there was no scallops n the Philippines, so we eat dried scallops which cost a fortune.

Hello well I’m back. Trying to get back to cooking for joy not obligation. All your dishes look awesome. Tonight was weeknight quickie kielbasa perogi night. Not really cooking but tasty. This winter has been lots of soups and stews and weekends spent in unfinished cabin. Happy to be back for some inspiration

no

15 Likes

Kimchi jjigae a la Maangchi

With some rice, broccolini, and wine.

10 Likes

Rather no colour, not overcooked and juicy than a nice crust!

Nice. I have been looking at her recipes a lot lately. Her videos are awesome, too.

2 Likes

One of the very few things from the sea I want to SV. No live lobsters here, unfortunately. Only the cooked and packed in ice kind imported from Canada.

1 Like

Glad to see you back. I like the kind of food on your plate from time to time.
Your winter sounds perfect to me. Serious. Soups, stews and weekends in a cabin far away from people and cars.

Want to see more of your food (and unfinished cabin) soon.

3 Likes

those perogi look scrumptious. did you make them or were they frozen? i’ve never had any frozen, and the ones i’ve had made from scratch were sadly not very good.

Mish mash bowl dinner last night. I knew I wanted roasted potatoes and butter. I pondered a bowl of potatoes tossed in butter but decided protein would be a good idea. Sautéed ground pork with a new favorite garlic spice blend (minced garlic, granulated garlic, salt chives), added roasted potatoes, chopped bacon and finished it off with a healthy amount of TJs cultured French butter.

9 Likes

They were frozen in bag, from Shop Rite, remains from the Super Bowl (I like to make perogi and kielbasy for football games (now it is the Eagles winning meal LOL). There are fresh ones available here in Philly as well as excellent locally smoked Kielbasy in the Polish shops nearby but last nights dinner involved neither ;( They are not bad for a cheap frozen product though I boil then saute in butter and onions. The Ukrainian market here has a great selection of eastern European varieties frozen that are really good too. They are good to feed hungry people quickly with little fuss. I try to keep them in the freezer but the couchguests keep disappearing them.

3 Likes