What's for dinner? #3 - Nov 2015 - The Extra Hour Edition

I don’t know why they are having a sale at the same time this week, though. Because this screws up my dinner plans!

Love ostrich, too. Wouldn’t miss beef if ostrich were to replace it. Kangaroo, moose, elk, seal, whale etc I like them all. (seal is very very very nice, btw.)

I can get most of that fairly readily. Venison, duck & guinea fowl are pretty always in the supermarket. Wild boar and ostrich usually needs the farmers market. But, it’s literally years since I’ve seen hare - can’t understand why, as locally shot rabbit is easy to come by and you’d think hare would be around the same places as Mr Bunny

I know! Lucky you! I saw all the wonderful butcher’s shops at the Moor market every day in Sheffield. There availabl not only whole (game) beasts but also meat cuts that don’t exist in my food hell!

I do get wild fowl from the UK, though no hare. This one comes from Argentina now.

Recently at the market in Greece I saw hare/rabits hung with only fur on the lower legs intact so customers could identify the beast or species. I thought it was brilliant.

1 Like

I am so jealous of both you and Harters.

1 Like

WFD: Using the remains of Sunday’s Hunananese chicken, which will be cut into bite size chunks, we’re preparing Australian Coronation Chicken. There are many variations on this theme but my favorite is the decadent combination from Australian Women’s Weekly. I’ve included a link to the recipe, my only variation being 1 Tbsp instead of 1 tsp of Madras curry powder. This is served over steamed basmati rice mixed with arugula and garnished with both almonds and cashews.

In addition we’ll do a return visit of the squash in Honey-Bourbon-Butter-OJ Sauce but this time around we’ll use butternut.

http://www.foodtolove.com.au/recipes/coronation-chicken-18068

WWFD: Broiled Deviled Cod with Winter Greens. After seasoning the fillets are topped with a slather of mayo combined with Dijon, and ground cayenne, then pressed into a mix of chopped parsley and Panko, broiled Panko side up, till topping is crisp and golden. We used shredded braised cabbage. Roasted Murasaki Potatoes with cultured butter and sour cream accompanied.

1 Like

Last night was super delicious. Seared then baked a pork tenderloin to perfection. Added a little beef stock and corn starch while scraping up all the goodies while the pork rested. Had some mashed potatoes and steamed mixed veggies. Used the sauce over the pork and potatoes. Oh, so good. Going to be leftovers tonight.

Tomorrow will be butternut squash soup. Tis the time of year for these goodies. High up on our yum scale. :grinning:

3 Likes

It’s hump day: ladies night with my favorite bitches and hos @the CBDTR. I’ll probably have some sashimi for dinner.

1 Like

Just something simple tonight.

Burgers on the wood grill, cucumber salad. And deviled eggs because someone talked about them on another thread and I couldnt stop thinking about them. :wink:

4 Likes

Wood-grilled burgers sound great. Two of my bitches just cancelled, so I might have to wing it with my man after all '-)

Cuz I can never stop thinking about wings…

2 Likes

I deleted this post. It was kind of unnecessary. :neutral_face:

1 Like

We actually have some really great wings in town - both eat-in and delivery. Not sure if you’re familiar with the wingsover outfit & if it’s only limited to the NE.

I’m doing burgers as well. Fresh cut and seasoned potatoes in the oven and poblano peppers are roasted, pealed and sliced as a topping. Not sure if the are going on as is or made into a poblano cream. Sipping a fabulous generous Manhattan at the moment so outcome depends on sobriety, haha!

2 Likes

I have never heard of them, but I just checked out the menu and it looks good. Particularly the part about them being freshly battered as ordered. So many places have them sitting in the seasoning and are fried to order and they end up too salty.

They have some locations in NC. Perhaps they will continue south. I would certainly try them, I also love wings. My local grocery has them on sale this week for $2.20lb (not iqf) so they will probably be on my WFD soon.

As far as any delivery is concerned…there is no such thing where I live. Too far away from town. :frowning:

They are huge. My favorite flavors are the hottest Buffalo (Afterburner) - natch, and the West Texas Mesquite & Cajun Blackened dry rubs.

I always order the sauce on the side, for wings have to be crispy. It is the law.

And it looks like ladies night will have to wait another week - all my bitches are down with some illness. Lame-o.

OTOH… wings are WFD, along with a baby arugula mix, FM tomatoes, radishes, avocado, blue cheese in a lemon mustard dressing.

I love poblanos. Sounds wonderful. We are using the last of the tomatoes from this seasons plants to top the burgers. This warm weather we are having extended our crop big time. But all good things must come to an end…

Takes a little time to prep and so little time to chow down

5 Likes

I was craving mac & cheese. I don’t have milk or cream so I used sour cream, cheese & fire roasted tomatoes with chipotles. Served with beer braised sausage and cole slaw.

5 Likes

In case you want to give it another try, this recipe from my Vietnamese (and other) food hero, Andrea Nguyen, is better than anything we tried in Vietnam.

1 Like

Smoked kielbasy in kraut and pierogi sauteed in butter and onion with dilled sour cream. Half sour pickles.

1 Like

Perfect burger size. Just like I like them.

I am regretting not making fries tonight after seeing yours. It has been hot and since the burgers were cooked outside and the cukes and eggs were cold, I didnt want to cook inside. But burgers and fries…burgers and fries… :blush: