What's for dinner? #3 - Nov 2015 - The Extra Hour Edition

WFD: Pasta alla Norma. I like to roast the eggplant for this sauce, a medium dice works well for me, tossed with olive oil and S & P, 400F/30min. After roasting the cubes go straight into our usual 45 minute Amitriciana sauce with any roasting juices that may be in the pan.

Linguini is the pasta of choice with this sauce, ricotta salata grated over each serving. I’m not certain we have any more ricotta salata in the fridge, if not we’ll use Parmigiano.

3 Likes

I love pasta all Norma.

1 Like

Chickie BOOB? They aren’t mammals, you know, or we’d have chicken cheese and chicken yoghourt.

Gosh, I had no idea.

2 Likes

Cena fue espléndida. Grilled flat iron with chimichurri sauce, fried patatas y Padron peppers and a green ensalada with Jerez sherry vinaigrette. And an Argentine Malbec. Olé

6 Likes

The burrata caprese was great, but what else is new? Can’t really mess up good ingredients :smile:

The squid stew came out really well, too. I roasted the fennel before I added it to the dish, and the squid was cooked perfectly. I also added a Chinese chili condiment, cuz we like it hot @casa lingua.

Overall, greatly satisfying, and a nice change o’pace from calamari :smile:

7 Likes

Another snacky dinner homemade fresh cheese sopressata rye bread and a corn slaw with lemon garlic dill dressing.

4 Likes

Spaghetti with meatballs we made yesterday. Caesar salad and garlic bread on the side. Wine to drink and hockey on the tv.

2 Likes

I liked my soup last night but all of yours are better!

Hope you’re going to experiment more with making cheese.

Like them both. Nice pics, too!

It’s Tuesday, so our bi-weekly Sichuan jour fixe is happening tonight. WFD will be smashed cukes, bok choy, garlic eggplant, diced chicken w/hot peppers, dry-fried green beans, mapo tofu and who knows what else, group size pending.

Stoked.

Pork belly with lots of ginger. Marinated in soy sauce, sherry, five spice powder and chili flakes (brought back from Greece). It was so moist and nice. The tender meat became “threads” when I gently pulled it with a fork! The “Thai Kraut” is meant to cut the fattiness. As it is so rich and no matter how delicious we could eat only half of this portion.

Looks like the fat layer is super thick but it’s just a hanging flap over another layer of meat.

4 Likes

Sockeye salmon and asparagus were on sale today so that is wfd, along with a salad of some sort.

1 Like

Seared corvina on a bed of sautéed shredded brussel sprouts and mushrooms

5 Likes

All Day Beef Chili w/ light and dark kidney beans. Served with optional sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream, sliced avocado, jalapeno and tortilla chips. Paired nicely with a semi-dry cider:

3 Likes

Took the leftover shredded brussels and mushrooms from the previous meal, added some green tea soba noodles and lightly seared tuna and made a kinda spring roll

8 Likes

I made a big batch of cuban style black beans over the weekend- tonight i had a bowl style meal with the cuban beans, sautéed cruciferous crunch veggies from trader joe’s, cherry tomatoes, green onion, and a big blob of plain greek yogurt, squeeze of fresh lime juice and some smoked salt. Side of barely sweet reisling.

4 Likes

Cuban black beans are my weakness. I love making and eating them

1 Like

mariacarmen, a tip from a really good taco recipe: try quartering tomatillos for your marinade. That’s the garlic-onion-lime-tomatillo secret ingredient for a flank/skirt steak marinade for the grill in the style of Mexico. Maybe Cubans too? I left them out once & it totally made a difference.

2 Likes

Ostrich.
My dinner plans are turning upside down this week because 2, 3 places have a seasonal meat sale. I sent my partner to get everything: ostrich, hare tenderloin, half a hare, venision, wild boar, duck breasts, guinea fowl etc etc. Everything!

The only thing missing is alpaca (steaks.) But for that I have to travel to Peru or Bolivia, the 2 countries I want to return to someday.

2 Likes

Wowzah. I’d like to have a butcher like that nearby! Love Ostrich.

1 Like