What's for dinner? #3 - Nov 2015 - The Extra Hour Edition

I have it mind that this is done in some places not so much that customers can identify what it is - but , rather, what it isnt (i.e. an attempt to pass off something unpleasant as rabbit)

WFD tonight at Harters Hall - Lancashire Hotpot. It’s become that sort of weather.

2 Likes

Dinner was a quick soup to use up a lot of FM veg. Sautéed onions, zucchini, cauliflower, basil, turmeric, salt pepper. Added some chicken stock and buzzed it all up in the vitamix. The soup was topped with a spoon of yogurt and some bacon crumbles. The last of some pizza dough became a flat bread with thyme, zucchini slices, fresh mozzarella, and evoo. Hit the spot on a cold night.

m

2 Likes

I have a big, probably seedy, eggplant lined up for tonight - not sure if its going to get fried and “parmesaned” turned into a gratin or made into a pasta dressing. open to ideas.

1 Like

I’ve had so much eggplant over this past summer and I’m still not sick of it. Some of my go-to dishes with eggplant:
baingan bharta
caponata
pasta alla Norma
roasted vegetable panini with pan seared halloumi and harissa
moussaka

a curry like the baingan bharta or pasta alla norma are probably just about right for a quick weeknight dinner not sure which one sounds right right now

Not quite sure WFD. We had suuuper exciting plans (ha) to have tomato soup and grilled cheese sammiches, as we need to be a bit frugal before our big SF trip in a few weeks… but then one of my GFs wants to meet for a happy hour drink late afternoon, and other friends of ours requested our presence at a trivia night at the pub. So - no bloddy clue. I can probably whip up the soup before my drink, and we might be able to have dinner before the trivia night. So much to do :slight_smile:

If not, it’s cheeborger club & lagers at the pub, likely. And soup tomorrow. #yawn

WFD: Steamed Scrod Fillets Chinese-Style. We’re using another cod fillet from Tuesday’s CSF share. Ingredients: scallions julienned; rice vinegar; soy sauce; ginger matchsticks; sesame oil; dried red pepper flakes; fish fillets.

Roasted Autumn Vegetables. Ingredients: potatoes; carrots; parsnips; red onions; leeks, whole garlic head 1/2’d; 5-Spice powder; Red Boat salt & Sichuan pepper & Cayenne; olive oil, balsamic vinegar.

4 Likes

Another atonement meal for me. Blsl chicken breast and large salad will be wfd tonight.

I have a little catching up to do over here! Some random meals from the past few days: Shaved beet & persimmon salad with blood orange, chevre & pistachio.

My favorite chicken soup.

Borscht.

Sumac-dusted arctic char with roasted romanesco & beets, sautéed beet greens, pickled beet stems &spiced yogurt.

9 Likes

You’ve been holding out on us! Beautiful food that I’m sure taste as good as it looks

3 Likes

A banquet of Henan cuisine at Uncle Zhou’s, Elmhurst, NY
Baked Noodle & Fish in Sweet & Sour Sauce, Oil Hand Drawn Noodles, Spicy Crispy Chicken in Big Tray, Spicy Crispy Shrimp, Celery and Dried Bean Curd with Shredded Pork, Cumin Powder Fried Lamb, Tofu Henan Style, Potato with Hot & Sour Sauce and Lamb Dumplings

8 Likes

WFD is still a work in progress. Roasted veggies (cauliflower, carrots, broccoli) waiting to going the oven. Stock is heating up for a side of lemony risotto with parmesan, A chicken breast will be sautéed in some pistachio oil, and finished off with a pat of butter, capers, and fresh basil.

OMG, that looks fantastic.

1 Like

Oh man you make me miss the endless variety of QNS.

And Norma it was

3 Likes

Can I like more than once!

1 Like

That looks absolutely delicious, and a few dishes actually look very similar to some of the Sichuan dishes we order at our bi-weekly Sichuan chow-down.

Interesting. I’ve only used pistachio oil for salads - does it add a lot of flavor when you cook with it? I always thought nut oils had a fairly low smoke point, too.

Beef shin ragu with rosemary and paperdelle tonight. Cooking the cubed beef shin in the sauce very slowly (about 3 hours at 140c). Will take out the beef and shred, then reduce the sauce and add back in. Having a bottle of Barolo, some of which went in the sauce with it. Shop bought salted caramel fondants, probably make some custard to go with.

4 Likes

I want your entire meal.

1 Like