What's for dinner? #3 - Nov 2015 - The Extra Hour Edition

It’s a horrible horrible miserable day and there’s no end in sight. So much rain and gale-force wind. Night and day, non stop. Good thing I made this yesterday so today it just needed warming up slowly. Ate it with Puy lentils and a big bunch of flat leaf parsley.

I’ve been eating mostly brown food lately and had no desire to make photos of the mess. Hope you can see something here… they are actually pheasant legs (from http://yorkshiregame.co.uk/products/game/partridge-pheasant/) braised in Franconian smoke beer (same beer in the photo). Garlic, juniper berries, Speck etc. The whole thing is only 1/3 of the deep Staub pot and the photos didn’t work so I transferred the whole thing to a small enamel pan.

Can’t get any closer than this. I will have to use a point and click camera for close-up shots in the future.

3 Likes

WFD: > Rigatoni Puttanesca. Canned anchovies in oil; dried chilis; capers; Pomi chopped tomatoes; black cured olives; chopped parsley. Spaghetti is the usual pasta shape for Puttanesca but we’re using rigatoni for this spicy “quick and dirty” Neapolitan sauce.

Fennel Salad with Walnuts and Apples. Slivered fennel, thinly sliced apples, toasted walnuts, olive oil, S & P. Once again we’re doing a swap by using apples instead of oranges. Mustn’t mix 'em, ya know.

1 Like

Never. In my thoroughly Italian family (Mother, father, all other relatives) Giambotta was always vegetables: potatoes, eggplant, zucchini, bell peppers, onions, garlic, various herbs. Your version of chicken and vegetables stew sounds delicious but…

1 Like

Looks like there are variations…but no mention of chicken :smile:

Must be regional because my FIL giambotta is similar to yours, all veggies, no meat.

1 Like

Used some of the black beans and rice from last night and paired it with pan seared corvina

Didn’t grow up with giambotta, but made it this summer after learning about it from a friend’s sister. Following her lead, I used hot sausage in mine. Have seen other recipes with pepperoni. Seems whatever comes from the garden (or what you like and include from the garden) also varies.

I tried corvina recently for the first time and was very pleased. Great texture and flavor and mild enough to be quite versatile. Used the leftovers in chowder and it held up well.

What’s the price per lb in your neck of the woods?

I found it at Costco in NC. The package was around $10 for 2 good sized pieces. Enough for 1 dinner and 3 serving of chowder which was heavy on the fish.
I need to see if my local fish market has it.

2 posts were split to a new topic: What’s for dinner? #4 - Dec 2015

All- December WFD thread is here:

1 Like

Sorry for adding to this old thread. I was looking for a dressing that someone suggested that I try (Realtor Dressing) and saw my recipe for pork. I omitted one of the most important ingredients.

1/4- 1/3 C. Oil of your choice

I thought about not bringing it up…but I couldn’t…It would have bugged me :wink:

2 Likes