What's for dinner? #3 - Nov 2015 - The Extra Hour Edition

I suspect that’s probably the reason. I am often surprised at dinners posted on this thread (and the old WFD ones on Chowhound). So often, there’s such an eclectic mix, clearly taking ingredients and styles, etc, from different cultures and putting them on the same plate. It’s not something that seems to have happened with immigration in Europe where “ethnic” cuisines are generally enjoyed as standalone food rather than all merging together into a melting pot of a plate.

For instance, your burger example just jars to my mind. For my tastes, there are things there that I really wouldn’t want to put anywhere near each other.

1 Like

Tonight is fish pie, known in our family as luxury fish pie as it will have prawns in it. Can’t remember where this came from! The last, really last this time, chard from the allotment will be briefly stir fried to go with it. Not sure about pudding yet. Have been too happily engrossed making a Christmas cake , the first one in the new oven, so will hopefully not be burnt all round and raw in the middle, as in the old oven!

All those toppings would sit quite nicely in a salad :slight_smile: You probably wouldn’t like my “Cobb Sandwich” either. Everything that would go in a Cobb salad but I put them on a sandwich a few times.

Last night was a quick bite out. I had steamed potstickers over cabbage salad and DH had sliders. We then went and listened to David Sedaris- he was charming, funny, brutally honest, and thought provoking.
Tonight we are doing pizza and salad with friends.

I had to look up Cobb Saald, as I wasnt familiar with it. You’re right that I probably wouldnt like it - too many ingredients some of which, to my mind, clash with each other (not in a good way). Still, each to their own.

Another delicious SF dinner with @mariacarmen, this time at Lolinda’s, a Mission steak place that was packed to the rafters. We shared the palmito salad (one of my faves - hearts of palm, romaine, avocado, radishes in a lovely, citrusy cilantro dressing), croquetas, ceviche mixto (also fab), Spanish pulpo (a little overdone, sadly) with potatoes, charred artichoke with aioli, and the two main attractions: an amazingly tender, juicy & delish pork chop as well as their rib-eye.

Much as I love my beef, the pork chop won for me. Incredible. All this followed by more drinks. Natch.

Off to Bund Shanghai for XLB now, then bop around some nabes. WFD tonight is TBD. Will be sad to leave tomorrow :frowning:

1 Like

We love Bund Shanghai…and not just the XLB…although we always gets those too :slight_smile:

Oh, we’ll be all over dumplings of any kind.

All sounds yummy. You have a fantastic local “insider”. I also like palmito. The only times I had palm hearts was in Argentina. Maybe the Asian stores here have them, too. Remember to look for them next time I’m in a Chinese store then.

Enjoy the last dinner, and with MC no less!

1 Like

Here’s a pic of the red-braised pork shank that was incredible. And huge.

Also had great pork belly and dan dan noodles. People at another table had a whole fried fish that they offered me a bite of also. Good too. So really I’ve never had anything there that I didn’t like :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve got a pot of collards on the stove. So delicious.

I had cooked oxtails SV the other day and have the meat off the bones and cleaned up and will put something together with the oxtail meat, collards and slices of roasted sweet or Idaho potatoes. Just not sure how I want to proceed at the moment. Decisions, decisions…

2 Likes

Sure! There are so many ways to prepare pork Cuban style. I couldn’t begin to tell about all the different mojo or preparations. But this is how I made mine for yesterday’s Cubans.

I marinated a 3.5lb pork butt with:

3 garlic cloves-pressed
1/2 onion- grated
2T salt
1t sugar
green peppercorns- a pinch or two
dried oregano-a painful
1 envelope of Sazon
juice of one or two oranges and one lime ( sour orange is a staple in Cuban cooking, but I didn’t have sour oranges, so I soured the Orange juice with a lime)

Mix marinade together. Poke some holes in the roast and slather some of the marinade on the roast. Put it in a Ziploc bag and pour the rest into the bag. Marinate overnight in the frige. I fondle it every once in awhile if I happen to go in the fridge.

Bake@ 350 until done.

The amounts are approx with the marinade. I made this for Cuban sandwiches so I cut back on the garlic and onion because I didn’t want the pork to overpower the sandwich.Otherwise, I would have pumped up the volume on the garlic and onion if I was serving it as the main course.

Thanks for asking! :blush:

Picked a package of nice looking oxtails
Cooked them SV for about 100 hrs @ 145f. Refrigerated until ready to use. Reheated at same temp with sprigs of rosemary then into a skillet with tomato paste and a little water to caramelize the meat .

Earlier made a pot of collard greens. They are so good as is, but made of a good underlayment for roasted slices of Idaho and sweet potato and the oxtail, dressed with dollops of tomato jam

7 Likes

O.M.F.G. that looks amazing.

I want that!

It was easy and it met my expectations and more. Tasted pretty darn good

That’s simply insanely sexy :slight_smile: And thanks for the time and temp on the oxtails. My Hispanic market has them all the time.

All I know is that I had never had a Cuban sandwich until I was in 4th grade when my Cuban friend had a sleepover and her Cuban Mom served us what she called a Cubano sandwich.

:expressionless:

1 Like

Lamb chops, with new potatoes, peas and mint sauce (jar). Cheese for afters.

2 Likes

Mon Dieu! I mean Mont d’Or!

This is my easy cheese fondue. My German friend who lives in Switzerland makes a good one so I eat it when I visit him. We ate this at 4:30pm yesterday and thought maybe we’d have soup later, for dinner. There was more of everything seen here so we were full afterwards. Scraped all the cheese, every last bit. The cheese endorphin and dopamine production went through the roof during the meal! The Gewürztraminer was very mild and smooth and did not clash with the cheese.

Soup for dinner today: cubed swede, parsnip, celery, some shredded kale and all the left over smoked sausage, pig’s heel, Speck etc from the other day’s pseudo Choucroute. Plus copious amounts of fennel seeds (I love them in soups and certain braises). Soup is bubbling away in the heavy Staub as we speak. Will try to make a photo so let’s hope it turns out with all the steam everywhere (camera can’t focus when there’s a lot of steam).

Cueing Édith Piaf’s Mon Dieu…

3 Likes