What's for Dinner #29 - 01/2018 - New Year 2018 Edition

As a solo cook That is what I generally do. I only by a bag of russets if the price is good and I have several dishes planned that use them. The small bags of mixed (red/yellow/purple) are mesh and I hang them from a hook on the pantry door. The quantity is small enough that I can usually use them before they go bad.

One grocery chain in my area has all the small potatoes and onions (boilers/shallots/etc.) in bins at the same price so you can choose the exact variety you wish. They do the same with small tomato varieties. Unfortunately their locations are not within my usual haunts but I love the idea. They also have live herbs “planted” with snips handy so you can cut the quantity/variety you need - priced per bag. Costs more than one package of herbs but cheaper than two and you come home with just what you need. Both of their locations that I go to are located in areas with a large single population. This option is brilliant for that demographic!

2 Likes

I’m a solo cook but eat for 2-3 people depending on the day and training so bulk is usually a better buy but not when it goes bad. Also the bagged are smaller which I appreciate because I’m not committed to a giant spud.

Wow, that’s a great idea. The bouquets of herbs can be such a waste.

I never buy a lot of potatoes. Love the fingerling that Costco carries but they do not always have it.
Was lucky that I was in a yard sale and saw a small oak cabinet made by Amish people.
It has the upper drawer for Taters and the lower smaller shelf for Onions, nicely carved for $10.00.
I snatched it up so fast. Unbelievable workmanship and price.
Now,Ino longer mix my onions and potatoes together in my kitchen cabinet

2 Likes

I used to buy the 10lb bag of potatoes because they were cheaper per pound than buying singles or the 5lb bag, but we can’t go through 10lbs quickly (we don’t eat a lot of potatoes). I’ve switched to buying singles – they cost a bit more per pound, but I buy them as I need them and don’t have to worry about them going bad. If they are on sale, I’ll buyt a couple extra – I have 2 stacking baskets in my pantry where I store my onions, garlic and potatoes. Onions and garlic on the top bin and potatoes in the bottom bin. If I buy baby or fingerling potatoes, they go into the pantry as well.

1 Like

Fried tofu and Vietnamese tomato sauce. Emmer wheat instead of rice.

I like some Malaysian pastes and sauces and this one is crispy prawn bits with chillies.

7 Likes

Of course you are assuming we have a basement…I don’t, but have a garage which is dark and is un heated, although integral to the house…thus I use that, and put the onions far from the potatoes…seems that they sort of get together and they all go bad at once…I keep my onions far from my taters

4 Likes

Onions and potatoes are separate but I’m definitely going to try putting the potatoes in the basement.

1 Like

Yes, I also use the garage. I have to say, the onions and greens started to freeze during a recent cold snap in the Boston area, but that’s the only trouble I’ve had.

2 Likes

been so long since i posted! we came back from Mexico City in early Jan. and i got on a Mexican kick, mostly. Also, had to catch up on reviewing duties so we’ve eaten out a lot. here are a few pics of things I’ve actually cooked…

Pipian mole from a blend i brought back from Mexico City. Enmoladas con puerco (pork mole enchiladas)! Very good!

Rancho Gordo Corona beans - super meaty, highly recommend. I’ve got an order in for four different kinds of beans. with merguez sausage, greens and potatoes.

Spanish chorizo, garbanzos, spinach and egg.

Peruvian lomo saltado. my complaint about this dish is that the meat is ALWAYS tough. Solved that by using filet mignon.

blood orange/fennel salad accompanied this dish…

Spaghetti alla carbonara with sausage. loved this dish! yes i know, it’s not a TRUE carbonara. who cares?

pork tacos - pork shoulder was rubbed with only sugar, salt and pepper, and slow roasted. it got VERY caramelized, as you can see…

day-glo mexi rice with…

another mole blend I brought back - Oaxacan mole negro. Really good. dark and chocolatey, clove-y, not sweet. this time with chicken. garlicky rice went with.

Instant Pot Vietnamese Caramel Pork. Fatty chunks of heaven! salad was cukes, shallots, mint, thai chilis on romatine with nuoc cham dressing

16 Likes

Great food photos Maria. Looks wonderful

Tonight; Chicken breast rolled with a duxelles filling. Roasted vegetables and salad

10 Likes

I used the rest of the mongrel cut of pork for a stir fry based on one in Land of Plenty. The recipe called for woods ears. I have a glass jar for woods ears which I love, but it is empty, so I substituted fresh shiitakes. I also substituted some home-canned pickled red peppers for the pickled Sichuan peppers. It called for a modest number number of scallions and I added two bunches.

I think we are recovering! I made some Oatmeal Raisin dough to test my theory, and we have both found that we are enjoying a bit of cookie. There is hope!

7 Likes

Certainly not me! I’ll try that soon.

Dinner last night was a clean-out-the-fridge improvise. I had some kale and collards that were wilting and some cheese I needed to use up. The gnocchi I thought was in the freezer must have been used in an earlier dish, and I forgot that I gave my son the hunk of mozzarella that I was planning to use. Fortunately I had some tortellini and a hunk of gruyere, so it all got tossed with roasted butternut squash and leftover roasted garlic along with some parm and romano. It actually was pretty tasty and I might do the same combo again.

9 Likes

I was in luck a couple years ago, passed by a yard sale which I seldom visit on the way to the Italian Deli.
However,found out the Italian deli was not opening till 10:00AM since it was a weekend, had 30 min to spare, so I made a U turn, went to to this yard sale
Found a fantastic bargain for an amish made oak chest for potatoes and onions
$10.00
I snatched it up
The back of the upper tater shelf has a heavy duty pegboard attached to the frame, while the lower onion shelf has the same pegboard bottom.
The cabinet was made without any nails using dovetail joint. It is attractive enough so, I kept it in my DR.
I can stash a 5 pound bag of potato in the tater shelf. It keeps.

4 Likes

that looks wonderful!

Everything looks great, Maria. Good to have you back! Look forward to seeing more BF’s food :wink: :sunny:

Dinner today was leftovers so nothing to report. Want to share a photo of the moon I made last night from my bedroom. Had to open the window standing in the cold in my pyjamas but it was worth it! Made about 2 dozen shots but only this one is good enough. FYI, yesterday was your chance to see “super blue blood moon”.

7 Likes

dinner last night was seared wild scallops ( learned technique from you that aside from drying overnight in the fridge, it is best to add a dusting of baking powder. This has really made the scallops acquire a nice brown crust , flip it over for a few seconds, the perfect sear with a nice soft center. I used a combination of butter and grapeseed oil, for searing set the scallops. I set it aside add olive oil to the pan, fried some shallot, spoon it out for topping on he scallops, deglaze the pan with white wine, add baby spinach, freshly grated reggino parmegiano to the hot spinach, into my augratin dish and the scallops with the crispy shot on top.
Sorry did not have picture to show what a master u are in teaching that course
I did not have time to make potatoes as e also had fresh spring rolls for appetizer and did not think we need potatoes or another side dish.

3 Likes

best 10 dollars spent. The guy even carried it to my car as it was heavy.

what a gorgeous shot!

*that was all my food, BF hasn’t been cooking of late, i’m looking forward to it too! :grinning:

1 Like

oops, i was referring to Bear’s tortellini dish, but yes, your tater bin is pretty awesome.

1 Like

I’ve started a February '18 thread here:

6 Likes