What's for Dinner #29 - 01/2018 - New Year 2018 Edition

Dinner was decided non-footbally, but I had to make it as I was supposed to cook it Friday night. There really hasn’t been any time or any inclination to cook due to Finnegan’s health issues. Too long to go into - but he and I were at the emergency 24 hour vet hospital from 10pm to 1:30am on Friday night, went back at about 1pm on Saturday, and he’s been there since. Not sure yet what the issue is - could be a blockage, could be a chronic irritable bowel disease, could be lymphoma. He’s having an aspiration tonight of the wall of the colon; will know what they find tomorrow after the pathologist reviews the aspiration. Let’s just say it hasn’t been a good weekend for my orange Finny-Finn. Momma hasn’t enjoyed it much either.

Marinated two chicken thighs in a combo of olive oil, lemon juice, minced fresh thyme, honey mustard, S/P, and Aleppo pepper. Roasted in a hot oven.

Sides were roasted baby potatoes tossed in olive oil, s/p, garlic powder, and Herbs de Provence, and steamed green beans. There was most definitely wine.

And yet again, an upside-down picture @hungryonion @naf
NB: Image edited by mod

10 Likes

Not the weekend I would wish for Finn or you. I am so sorry… Good thoughts.

3 Likes

LOL- I LIVE for salad. Love it. I saw the most disgraceful looking field cucumbers on display at one of the grocery stores. You couldn’t pay me to take them.

Back from vacay and finally to a kitchen where I can cook! I actually get tired of eating out…

Tonight’s dinner was Buffalo Chicken Quinoa casserole. The recipe had the potential to be either really good or really bad. So far it has got the thumbs up. Husband had declared himself back on low carb (I know Quinoa is not low carb but we’re easing back into it). He ate his weight’s worth in tacos while away. I stuck to seafood and salads.

Made some of the Life changing crackers today. I also picked up some amazing aged balsamic vinegar. I was inspired by a salad I had on vacation- came home and made the same thing with a shitty balsamic and, blech!

3 Likes

I always watch a vet programme at the gym. Will be thinking of your Finn when I watch the programme today.

@Salsailsa, welcome back. I don’t like eating out every day either. I want to go home after a week.

@Sunshine842, there’s supposed to be a lot more meat in Choucroute but we are not big eaters. I already have an idea what to make with the leftover half ring of smoked sausage.

2 Likes

@LindaWhit Sorry about Finn, fingers crossed for him.

Raining non stop the whole weekend. I have tried to make brioche twice since Friday, the dough didn’t raised. I have made this recipe a few times years ago, never had any problem. Might be problem with the dried yeast I used, another conspiracy might be the raisin I added. I will try making the third dough today if I have time, recipe here.

The failed brioche

WFD, I made @Ttrockwood’s mother’s version of potato and leek soup. Actually like the way his mom used minimal words to describe all the essential, very efficient! I made 2 versions, one as on the recipe card + white wine and brown butter, the second pot with the same based but I added the leftover butternut. Both were good, but have a preference over the classic with just potato and leek. Been eating this for days.

Saturday night out when the rain stopped for a few hours for a bowl of ramen pork based broth + miso and with black garlic sauce + chashu. Not bad, except the egg was obviously too cooked. The sake was Yuzu favoured.

5 Likes

Well your failed brioche is certainly beautiful! I hope the third time is a charm for you and it works.
I’m so glad you enjoyed the potato leek soup :hugs: sometimes a simple soup is just exactly the right thing…

It was dry and hard, like aged bread, have to eat dipping in tea or chocolate.

The only good thing was the Patriots’ win of the AFC Championship. On to Minnesota!

Brioche conspiracies! A food mystery novel. I like it. :grin:

PS…I find Cento OK…or for that matter Seasons…

You can never tell, I was suspecting the chemical sprayed on raisin has inactivated the yeast.

My second try below: when I saw the dough was not raising with 2 times of dry bread yeast added, out of desperation I put a second type of dry cake yeast. The brioche turned out better than the first, but the yeast overdosed only raised what should have been normal. Still in search of the guilty…

8 Likes

SV Bavette steaks. We struggled a bit with the meat, even though it was only 200g/7oz in total (weight before cooking). The steaks were good but we enjoyed the buckwheat and roasted cauliflower a lot more. FYI, an adult needs no more than 70g of red meat a day.

German pinot noir is nice and not popular outside the source. There’s enough domestic demand so they don’t really need to advertise abroad.

3 Likes

We’ve been sick. I am on Flu Nº 2 while Mr. SMT has only had one round. We are both running fevers, food tastes like nothing, no appetite, and overwhelming fatigue. Last night I had 1/3 baked potato for goodness sakes! Night before? Oatmeal. It has just been pathetic. And, I have lost another 6 lbs. Determined to reverse this trend, lunch today was a pastrami hash made with the potato no one ate last night. Dinner was some polenta with some lamb shank stew. Neither of us could eat much of it unfortunately.

I am so ready to feel healthier! This is getting old fast.

3 Likes

Is it possible that you used water that was too hot and that killed the yeast?

I checked, the temperature of water was 23°C / 73°F. The yeast was bubbling after 10 - 15 minutes.

Eat lots of fruit with vitamin C, you need it! Get well soon, we miss your cooking!

So, is it possible that there was too much sugar in the dough? A very sweet dough needs more yeast.

40g of sugar to 250g of flour. I compared several recipes, more or less the same proportion.

Was the yeast too old? I have no further ideas1