What's for Dinner #26 - 10/2017 - The Tastes of Fall Edition

Taking one for the team! Mighty good of you. :wink:

Tonight, I made Wohlfert’s Bulgur Pilaf with Toasted Noodles which became the base for the Moroccan Lamb Shank braise leftovers.

11 Likes

Glad you like them! Nachos sound fantastic!

1 Like

Sacrifices…

They were so good and I’m not even a chip girl. I’m going to try the lime and nacho flavor this week with chili.

1 Like

Looking forward to see the dumplings, I can not find any information on this, Google search only shows Chinese dumplings.

Welcome back!!

The kittos and I are off to the vet this afternoon for shots so I’m planning a quick pressure cooker chili (Chowhound slow cooker recipe adapted for the pressure cooker)-ground beef, no beans, served with lotsa cheddar, red onions, and skyr. I’ll package up the leftovers for the freezer.

I have a batch of flax crackers (tamari nori) finishing up in the dehydrator this afternoon and kefir draining to make a batch of chive kefir cheese. Dessert will be flackers and cheese with Braunschweiger.

3 Likes

healthy food for healthy people. found some really good images here that gave me good ideas for the next few days. thanks

5 Likes

Grilled chicken, roasted sweet potato and salad

7 Likes

Last night I made a leek and mushroom stock for tonight’s Mushroom Risotto, but lunch was so large I switched gears and made a mushroom soup. The only Bourdain recipe I have ever made, and it is simple and delicious. I usually serve as a first course soup, but made larger bowls tonight.

6 Likes

Welcome! Looks like you made a sheet pan meal? Those potatoes look tasty!

Last night i made the food 52 kale and quinoa one pot meal which is a longtime favorite. I never have pine nuts around (too hard to tell which ones are from china and the ones from Italy can be crazy $$)!so i used hemp seeds instead last night. And i hate goat cheese/can’t have it anyways so i added a handful of chopped olives. My bunch of kale was enormous so this batch made a lot!

Tonight i went to a friend’s art gallery opening after work, it was at a fancy gallery and the VIP party before opening to the public was sponsored by bacardi :):grin:
But then i realized i was buzzed and starving and it would take a long time to get home…! I made an emergency stop at the next pizza shop i saw for a few garlic knots which were still hot (!!) and ate those in transit.
Leftover kale quinoa once home, kombucha on the side.

5 Likes

ok, as promised, a “few” highlights of the trip…

In Malaga:

croquetas, chorizos and jamon iberico on focaccia

gambas

mushrooms (not some weird dog)

fried calamari

Croquetas (filled with meat and potato)

In Sevilla:

bacalao

tortilla de patata in a divine whiskey sauce

tortilla de patata served to me in bed on a day i stayed home - i was sick for almost the entire trip! just a cold…

Salmorejo - gazpacho’s sexier cousin

Papas arrugadas - salt-boiled potatoes - a Canary Island dish.

In Cordoba:

berenjena con miel - eggplant with honey and sesame seeds

an almond creme with ham and fruits - savory, not sweet

“toast” with fresh tomato sauce whipped with olive oil, and topped with jamon serrano

eggs i got to accompany that (we shared this whole bfast)

artihoke hearts in a curry sauce

tortillas de patata and salmorejo

anchovies and sardines

Cordoba food court anchoas & boquerones

And in Granada (where you get a free tapa with your drink no matter what you order!):

fried fish and calamares

bread topped with tomato pureed, “caviar” of sweet sherry, sardine

chorizos

tortilla de patata (they ALL look this good!)

Padron peppers

Navajas (razor clams)

Chuleton - gigantor tbone steak, like they do in San Sebastian

A pork stew - again, just a little tapa they serve up when you order a beer.

my favorite place, in a market. various stuffed peppers, oives, salmon wrapped cheese, anchovy stuffed olives, smoked swordfish (to die for)

salmon and goat cheese

foie gras. FREE FOIE GRAS!!! WHAT A COUNTRY!!

I can’t remember - i think artichoke and ham, and something else…

chorizo picante

There was so much more. Thank god for walking or I’d have gained 15 lbs…

19 Likes

Maria, what a feast! My favourite country in Europe! In your photos the way tapas is served is a little different from the northern east (Alicante, Valencia etc).

Naf, look up “spaetzle lid”. I made the “buttons” (translated from german, a type of dumping) with it last night. Cut the time to 2/3!

@Borkonat, welcome to WFD!

2 Likes

Thanks so much! Everything looks so delicious! My favourites: patron peppers, tortilla in whiskey sauce, salmorejo…

Sorry you were not feeling well during the trip, hopefully you are good now.

1 Like

OH my Gosh!!!
I can smell and taste the food!
you must have been in hog heaven, Is that the expression?

1 Like

Wow, just wow! Hope your feeling better. The food scene looks amazing in Malaga

1 Like

After seeing those goodies, I think it is time for me to make a return visit…

1 Like

Ah, the food in Malaga was our greatest surprise during our 4-week Spain adventure. A place I was expecting almost nothing, and found so very much more. Your pictures remind me of just how much we enjoyed the food of Spain.

1 Like

Red beans and rice with the pressure cooker - red beans, celery, onion, garlic, bell pepper, creole seasoning, hot sauce, andouille. Being in the pressure cooker meant not much evaporation so I had to cook it with the cover off for a little while and mash the beans up a little to thicken.

10 Likes