What's for Dinner #26 - 10/2017 - The Tastes of Fall Edition

Lousy Chinese food. Beer. Just had to leave the house where I’m renting a room. After I put an offer on a home this morning and it was accepted this afternoon.:rofl::sweat_smile::kissing_heart::grin:

15 Likes

congratulations!!

1 Like

Back in Santa Cruz today. Headed back to Mount Shasta Sunday. Making chicken cacciatore. I haven’t made this in ages and ages. Steamed green beans. Wine to drink. :wine_glass: Cheers

4 Likes

Cheers!! That’s awesome!
And i think sometimes you have to eat lousy food, makes you apprecythe good meals even more :wink:

1 Like

Somehow the tiny stars pasta as a side dish while the little one ate preserved lemons make me laugh…! I like her!

2 Likes

I was buying my veggies for juice (i make a very green juice most mornings) and was distracted by a gorgeous bunch of rainbow carrots.
I decided they should become the classic french carrot salad i love- i followed the usual david lebovitz recipe i use but swapped in cilantro for the parsley and i do add a gob of dijon. I decided that isn’t an actual meal so i added in a big handful of hemp seeds and some cooked (french green) lentils i had in the freezer. Really fantastic flavor from the carrots, and i even used my metal mesh glove while using the vicious box grater so i didn’t even get my knuckles! Kombucha a la carte- homemade lemon ginger which was perfect here

5 Likes

and, another tomato-centric dinner!
pork chops, fried taters, and more tom salad.

9 Likes

I make this often, sometimes I grated my carrot manually, but these days mostly with a mixer!

1 Like

Beautiful tomato, the season is ending for us.

Great to see you back! How was your trip?

1 Like

This wine from B-W is standard and readily available. We needed a bottle with screw cap because we couldn’t possibly finish it. A screw cap makes it easier to carry a half-finished bottle in a bag.

Off to Köln in a couple of hours for lunch and many a Gaffel Kölsch before the long train ride home.

They really should make those doors more durable :slight_smile:

1 Like

Back to “cooking” last night. Roasted shrimp with my current two obsessions - Nom Nom Paleo’s magic myshroom powder and Karam’s garlic sauce. I happened upon this sauce on instagram and immediately bought 6 bottles. I’m glad I did, it’s delicious, similar to a Lebanese Toum.

4 Likes

This is one darn cool Spring Onion. Great love of food, and willing to put almost anything into her mouth if I prepare it for her. Of course, she would also try acorns and other bits of the outdoor world too. We are working on that. :wink:

5 Likes

wonderful, thank you! will report soon.

Nice Tomatoes!!

Since they are only 0,2 liter you will need many Stangen to get anywhere…

These were my hangouts for Kölsch when I used to live there:

Früh am Dom
Am Hof 12-18, 50667 Köln, Germany
+49 221 2613215

https://goo.gl/maps/gsTUFB6T1E12

Brauhaus Sion
Unter Taschenmacher 5-7, 50667 Köln, Germany
+49 221 2578540

https://goo.gl/maps/Uxts4MgLjqL2

Don’t forget the halve Hahn…

Have been to both. Only liked Gaffel and Päffgen. I’m an Altbier girl, however. Next time lunch will be in Düsseldorf. I also like Düsseldorf more than Köln.

Some photos from that short trip:

2 Likes

First dinner back at home is what I would normally eat for lunch but that’s all I’ve got to work with tonight. Breads brought back from Cologne and dried mushrooms from Krakow, Poland.

Dried ramp flakes and paprika powder on the eggs. Saved the soaked mushroom liquid for risotto next time.

Used 1 bag of these mushrooms.

Got this dumpling sieve in Namibia of all places. Gonna test it soon.

9 Likes

Düsseldorf = Schweinemett :+1::+1::+1:

I have @Ttrockwood to partially thank for dinner as she put the final nail in the “try Siete chips” debate coffin. Nachos!! Last night I plucked sous vide chicken out the freezer, quick reheat in water and sautéed with onions and taco seasoning. Tonight I’ll load up the chips for nachos with chicken, jalapeño, TJs Canadian cheddar and salsa, guacamole and skyr on the side for dipping. I took a dive into the chips last night, you know, just to make sure they were safe for consumption and they are great! They are a little thin and fragile but it’s nice to have a grain free chip option.

2 Likes