What's for Dinner #26 - 10/2017 - The Tastes of Fall Edition

I was far less creative than the rest of you, but, I made bagels so maybe that evens out? We had breakfast for dinner. Softly scrambled eggs, those homemade sesame bagels, and a traditional platter of add-ons– cream cheese, salmon, capers, red onions, and thinly sliced tomatoes.

Not sure why I was baking on the most humid day of the year, but since the oven was on, also made a French Country bread in a pan for sandwiches during the week

6 Likes

Not so much happening .Still in the roommate position. Steak, broccoli , and wine. Escrow will end on the 20th. Gave them a 30 day move out in the deal. I haven’t had a working oven in so long. I,'ll be in My new house for Thanksgiving. I am not cooking a turkey. I am making pizza.:wink:

12 Likes

Saving this!

1 Like

Happy Belated birthday to you, Ttrockwood!

1 Like

Canadian Thanksgiving dinner last night at my house:

Dinner included:

Turkey and serious eats gravy
Roasted acorn squash
Riced potatoes
Carrots glazed with orange marmalade
Lentil and mushroom “stuffing”
Serious eats pumpkin pie.

Everything turned out very well. I liked the change of the lentils instead of bread stuffing- better for you and a lot less fat!

4 Likes

A virtual do-nothing day, reading, watching silly YouTube videos, and two log-ons onto work Email. I’m good with that.

Chicken with Apples and Apple Cider Sauce, rice pilaf and steamed broccoli for dinner. I used three of the small Farmeuse Snow apples from Saturday’s apple picking, and left them quartered vs. sliced.

Wine. There will be more pah.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/recipes/chicken-scaloppine-with-apples-in-apple-cider-sauce/9575/?utm_term=.881a40934653

4 Likes

Just a burger and fries

7 Likes

Was home briefly then flew to Florida for a wedding then a short flight to So. Fl. for a show for work.

Rehersal dinner food was fantastic! Served family style with 4 apps, 3 mains, 4 sides, 2 desserts. Everything was delicious. Wedding dinner was a bit too ambitious flavorwise but not over cooked. Not bad, pretty much what you expect at an event.

Now in Ft. Lauderdale. Several restaurants near the hotel which is nice not having to drive since happy hour has been vigorously observed. Tried an Italian and a seafood place. Both were quite nice. Our original show/conference was cancelled due to venue damage from Irma. Last minute we recieved word that we were being comped for the Ft. Lauderdale show. Airfare would cost $$ to change so we went with the thought it would be a pool vacation. Actually found several new lines for the shop so it was a success!

Arrive home around midnight tomorrow. Wed. bail the circus cat out from the vets boarding facility. Lamb chops (meat reaction after traveling with the vegan) may be Jojo’s welcome home dinner. Ready to be home with my kitty and sleeping in my own bed!

4 Likes

@meatn3 If Nanou is anywhere near you, go. They will also deliver a lovely French breakfast to your room for a fee.

My only caution is, don’t get the scrambled eggs, but everything else was wonderful.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll pass the info on to the boss. We are a little south near the convention center.

Made some brisket tacos made from leftover sous vide brisket heated up in a pan.

7 Likes

I’m in the process of building a home gym and spent the afternoon renting a truck, finding the tractor supply store and buying horse stall mats and then crashing the truck into my garage door soooo energy to make dinner was pretty low…dinner was a simple small eats throw together of boiled eggs sprinkled with magic mushroom powder, assortment of cheeses, sliced avocado, and liverwurst. For dessert, I dig into this new vegan chick pea based cookie dough that I discovered at Whole Foods (PS Snacks, why have I never thought of non savory hummus?)

Early to bed, garage door was fixed within the hour by a great company. Now to decide if I care to fix the dented siding. My budget didn’t include breaking the house :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It’s all over. It’s so nice to breathe in the moist, cool, soft air. It’s so nice to walk the street at night feeling pretty safe. It’s so nice to open a web page and it loads straight away.

Staying the night in Bonn then a few more hours by train home. Have been up since 4:30 am and by the time I got to my lodging here in Bonn it’s time for bed. Got the wine and crisps at the airport’s supermarket, the rest came with me from Namibia.

Took an hour to get our rucksacks!

New crisps. Dried sausages, a common snacks in Namibia, always next to the biltong in the supermarket or biltong shops.

Tastes savoury with a hint of chilli. “Spicy” in Germany is only a hint to us who are used to Thai food level of spiciness.

6 Likes

This requires a story…

5 Likes

Yesterday I made a Moroccan style lamb shank braise in the morning. After it cooled, I pulled the meat from the bones, leaving it in big chunks and defatted and reduce the sauce. Preserved lemons and olives stuffed with lemon were garnished at the table. Served with something called pastina, which wasn’t what I was expecting at all. It was miniature stars, clearly for soup.

No pictures since this was dinner with the grand-scallion and she was not being totally cooperative. Amazed that at 16 months old, she was popping pieces of preserved lemon in to her mouth like candy!

The flavor was quite subtle but the two adults really enjoyed it tremendously. Leftovers will be tomorrow night’s dinner. Will try to get a photo then.

Here is a link to the recipe.

8 Likes

I backed up the driveway to unload and whelp I guess I misjudged the length of the truck and slammed into the garage and upper siding. I got the garage door open but it wouldn’t go back down given I demolished the lower panel and snapped off 4 hinges. Fortunately a garage door repair company was able to come out within the hour to fix it but as my friend said “it looks like someone drunkenly headed butted the front of your house.” I’ll have to get someone to come check the damaged siding above the garage and replace the door eventually but for now it works and the siding appears to still be weather proof. I feel pretty silly, I think I was just overly excited to unload the equipment. I assume more “feel silly” stories are to come this weekend when I plan to assemble the equipment and drill into concrete but hopefully I won’t damage anything else.

4 Likes

That looks like a Lemberger trocken, but the sign says Bonn.

Excuse me but I’m confused.

There aren’t many stories that make me happy that I don’t have a garage… and then I get over it!

1 Like

Happy bday @Ttrockwood!
Glad you got week’s chemo reprieve, @smtucker!
and hello to every one else! all your food looks soooo good. After two weeks in Spain and od’ing on tapas night and day, I’m back and trying to do (actual) small plates at lunches so i’m starving!

here are our first two dinners home:
Sun night, the BF went to the store and bought veggies - we were so deprived - the spanish do NOT do salads very often, but they did do wonderful plates of tomatoes and so we were craving those. he also got take-out pizza as we’d just arrived and were dead tired.

last night was more of the same and he defrosted some of my leftover guisado de pollo, made mexi rice, and a fried egg each.

i’m dying to get back in the kitchen and make - yep, SPANISH food! but it won’t be for a while, i think.

I will post pics soon of some of the highlight meals of our trip. glad to be back amongst you all!

11 Likes

Nice tomatoes !

2 Likes