What's for Dinner #26 - 10/2017 - The Tastes of Fall Edition

Lovely! What’s your proportion of the batter? I have tried maybe twice savoury waffle, ends up quite burnt.

My waffle maker has an idiot light so I just remove it when it goes on with the heat setting at 3 (probably not helpful as I assume they are all different). I would cook for a minute less and see if that helps.

Leftover pizza last night from a local brick oven pizzeria with salad
IMG_1423

8 Likes

Thanks, my waffle maker allows vast setting change, I need to play with that to find the right setting, I guess. I like waffle crispy outside, and soft inside.

There should be the option of vegetarian and vegan menu.

I remembered eating with an vegetarian in a normal gastronomy bistrot, the restaurant were more than happy to accommodate the vegetarian. We had ordered tasting menu carte blanche, he got more or less the same thing as us, usually, replaced by egg, cheese and mushroom, or sometimes, just same dish but without the meat (meaning only half a dish). The only dish he got that we didn’t have was a mushroom pasta. But I would say, there was a dairy overdosed.

2 Likes

(Copied from the COTQ Moroccan thread)

Harira as supper last night. An hearty tomato beef soup. Recipe again from Jeff Koehler.

There are numerous recipes of Harira, this one uses stewing beef. Other ingredients include celery stalks, onion, parsley, cilantro, butter, ginger, ground cinnamon, tomatoes (can), chickpeas, vermicelli, tomato pasta, lemon juice, salt and a lot of black pepper. The biggest challenge was to cook separately the chickpeas and the pasta in the same pot but apart. DH hates chickpeas and isn’t too fond of pasta in soup. I ended cooking a bit too much pasta, still delicious.

We got ourselves some bread from an oriental shop. It was very light (in weight) compared to the French bread.

Fluffy and airy with a thick, slightly crisp crust.

7 Likes

It’s eggspecially hard. I love when simply cooked foods become simply hard to make.

1 Like

Steelhead on black lentils with braised white carrot, lacanto kale and radish

12 Likes

Absolutely fabulous .Love the radish.

I have been berating myself for not feeding the grand-scallion enough new vegetables, but had to admit, that there are things I haven’t tried either. Thursday dinner needs to feed all of us lunch on Friday, so I decided to roast a bunch of root vegetables. I have never eaten a rutabaga. To be honest, I am not convinced that I have been missing anything. And parsnips? Not sure I have ever eaten then either. So I dove in, using the “Ad Hoc at Home” roasted root vegetables as a guide. This is a mix of rutabaga, carrot, leeks, parsnips, onion, garlic and fresh thyme. I had planned to add some small potatoes, but there weren’t any. Served with some grilled salmon steaks.

One steak and half the vegetables are leftover for lunch tomorrow. The grand-scallion will eat well!

12 Likes

Oooh a sort of tortilla cooker does make a lot of sense! The ones in spain are so tall and thick. I figured they started it on the stove and then baked it…? I hope you brought back some good pimentón and other tasty treats to help fulfill your cravings!

1 Like

Glad you liked the crackers! I was thinking to make some last weekend but didn’t have enough various seeds on hand. The life changing bread recipe is nearly the same as the crackers, but i am way more into crunchy salty things so i make the crackers more often.

1 Like

I got lucky and ended up at home nearly and hour earlier than usual! I made a quick stop to get veggies and more cilantro and then made the flying massaman curry from terry hope romero (she has some great cookbooks). I used a little less five spice and cayanne, used the whole bunch of broccoli- just peeled and chopped the stems, and the whole can of coconut milk since awkward leftover ingredients make me crazy. It’s all about the peanut buttery coconut milk broth! I didn’t want rice so just had it like a soup.
I found the recipe posted online here

5 Likes

It’s finally a legit “home gym,” money well spent! It took 3 guys 2 hours to set everything up so would have taken me forever. Off to the gym after work to cancel my membership!

It’s pantry clean out time. Chicken crust pizza for dinner to use up some opened pizza sauce and cheese, pepperoni and mushrooms for toppings (love fresh mushrooms but I also looovvee canned mushrooms especially on pizza).

6 Likes

Mahi on peppers and olives preceded by a red lentil dal

10 Likes

i brought home a bunch of conservas (canned shellfish), for my sister and i to snack on when i go to her house, but i didn’t think of pimentón! however, we have The Spanish Table nearish me so i can get a lot of what i need there. Though at inflated prices! grrr…

2 Likes

i love everything on this plate!

1 Like

Tough reality after you return from Spain

2 Likes

Jealous.

2 Likes

A surprising work day that went better - MUCH better - than I had anticipated. Didn’t end up leaving work until 7 p.m., so dinner had to be easy.

A pancetta, red bell pepper and broccoli egg scramble, toasted English muffin, and a glass of wine sufficed.

4 Likes