What's for Dinner #24 - 08/2017 - Hot Summer Nights on Grill Continue

when life gives you tomatoes and figs… :dancer:t2:

11 Likes

… along with a few eggplant it appears. Tell us about the dough, please.

Dinner was supposed to be some grilled chicken. I had prepared them with a dry brine– 4 thighs and 4 wings, enough for two meals. But, when it came down to it, this isn’t what I wanted tonight at all. So, I thawed the last two burgers and those went onto the grill. He had his on an English muffin with cheese. Mine was straight up. I made some sweet potato chips and we put last night’s cole slaw on the table. The dinner was finished with more of the peach ice cream.

If my plan worked, I might have put on a half pound. The chicken will move to tomorrow’s night dinner and since tomorrow is our local Farmers’ Market, we can get some greenery.

4 Likes

I love that quote

It’s supermarket frozen pastry crust. Because sometimes I’m lazy. :smirk:

3 Likes

Would you call it a supermarket pasta dough, a supermarket Paté Brisée, a supermarket puff pastry, or a supermarket pie dough?

I should have clarified that; it was puff pastry. I don’t mind making basic pie or tart dough, but puff pastry is tough in the summer heat.

And I would love to be able to buy frozen pate brisee, but alas, I’ve never seen it in a market here.

1 Like

How gorgeous ! Tomatoes and figs are two of my favorites

Me too.! My neighbor leaves bags of figs at my door, and my tomato plants are fruiting like crazy this year, so I’m doing my best to keep up. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No cooking tonight! I met a good friend for long overdue wine and catching up on life at my favorite wine bar, they do a "summer of reisling " each year and i looooove reisling :smile:
We shared the olives and popcorn, then i had the egg noodles and mushrooms dish which was wonderful with lots of mushrooms. A flight of reisling to taste as many as i could.
Terrible photo of the interesting menu, i appreciate that they now have clearly marked vegetarian/vegan options. Too dark and awkward for a photo of dinner…

6 Likes

Baha style fish tacos:

Fish, cabbage, cilantro, pico, white sauce and a little queso fresco, on white corn tortillas.

White sauce made from kefir, mayo & lime juice.

10 Likes

Prawns and tofu would work. The recipes for prawns and tofu (not together in 1 dish) have this tomato sauce in them and are basically the same thing. Fish sauce, sugar, onions, garlic and…? Does he eat shellfish?

This morning at the Farmers Market I picked up some squash blossoms, Early Girl tomatoes, these little Miniatures squashes, and some local sand dab fillets. For early appetizer I stuffed the squash blossoms with herbed goat cheese and anchovies fried in olive oil cut up a little tomato with olive oil and salt. I will have the sand dabs and miniature squash for dinner. Wine to drink. Cheers

13 Likes

It was a DRD - a Dodging Raindrops Day. Sometimes I remembered my umbrella-ella-ella (and then didn’t need it) while running errands, and other times I didn’t remember - and needed it. So much for the haircut and styling I had this morning. :-/

A very past-due vision exam revealed why I can’t see shit on my cell phone - hence the new Rx for reading AND a slight change for distance to my progressive lenses. New frames picked out for eyeglasses; will just have new Rx put into current sunglasses.

A trip to the local butcher for steak tips - both plain and garlic & cheese. The G&C (augmented with some Aleppo pepper) was WWFD tonight.

Baked tater, and peas and TJ’s roasted corn. And a glass of wine. I guess this is considered cooking. Something I’ve not had an inclination to do since probably last Saturday.

Something on the screen tonight - we’ll see what I come across as I hit the Up button on the remote.

9 Likes

Is that a regular baked tater or a twice baked tater?

Looks hollowed out and refilled.

I love twice bakt taters.

1 Like

Kassler Rippchen, kartoffel purée, äpfel kraut:

Kraut was steamed in chicken stock with apples, leeks, uncured bacon, kielbasy, bay leaves and fresh thyme, then chops were warmed on top.

7 Likes

I love the way you eat.

1 Like

Did some fill in work today and picked up a pound each of grouper and snapper at a fish market near work after leaving. The filets were nice and thick. Cooked a half pound of each tonight and the rest will be cooked tomorrow. Served with a mash of sweet potatoes seasoned with diced jalapeños, butter, vanilla bean and citrus and a quick cabbage slaw with diced red pepper and the jalapeño with a citrus based dressing

10 Likes

I miss snapper. Your photo is killing me!

What are sand dabs like? I’ve never seen them in the South or on the east coast. I’m under the impression that they are seasonal on the west coast…