What's for Dinner #24 - 08/2017 - Hot Summer Nights on Grill Continue

That’s years of suffering! and so much sacrifice for downtime of not able to eat well.
But I guess you are all good now! Thanks for the encouragement.

@smtucker I had some scrambled eggs for lunch! Chinese steamed eggs is a great suggestion.

1 Like

We each got our own plate.

Mine is fried tofu which has been marinated in a Sichuan sauce.

SV belly pork, SV rhubarb, quinoa and a lot more vegs on the side.

6 Likes

been a loong time! July was a blur of busy-ness, and going out a lot, and me just being lazy.

here are a few pics of recent meals…

beet gazpacho, tortilla de patata, salad…

sous vide tri tip and cauli/tomato gratin…

MexiRuvian salad - carnitas and Peruvian aji verde…

sous vide lamb (yes, i got a new toy) crispy fried taters, and a salad with a sherry vinegar, goat cheese & herbes de provence dressing.

Vietnamese caramel chicken and tomato/beet/nectarine salad…the caramel sauce is making another appearance tonight with pork shoulder tacos…

and a pic of one of my recent distractions…

14 Likes

Another day in Boston that threatened to be hot, but wasn’t as bad as we had feared. By then we had decided that the protein would be grilled leaving me in the kitchen and the heat. We have run out of vegetables before we have run out of week. But I was able to scrounge the rest of the local cabbage, a local cucumber, the first cherry tomatoes from our garden, more blueberry muffins, and the grilled salmon steak.

In about an hour or so we will reconvene to enjoy some of the Peach ice cream I have made. Again, local peaches from up the road a bit, cream, sugar, vanilla, along with a pinch of salt and a bit of lemon juice. Oh, and 4 peaches, of course. The base was delicious and we each sample a bit when I transferred it from the churn to the container and we are rather excited to have a bowl!

12 Likes

And the ice cream. This ice cream was a dessert of the Deep South. I felt like I should be whittling in a field, with the ice churn set over rock salt. Mr. Rose would be proud of me. He made the best ice cream, and this was a little bit better.

7 Likes

I will see your French pizza and raise you with a homemade Chicago thin crust pizza with fennel laced spicy sassage, mushrooms, peppers and leek:

Pizza is 16 in or 40 cm in diameter, cut in squares.

9 Likes

What a nice balance of ingredients! Did you make this on a stone?

Yep, stone.

With the sausage I have to grind and add extra fennel to approximate Chicago. Also there you would have gotten onion, not leeks.

Temperature? If you know…

450 F convection oven. I preheat the stone for 20 mins.

1 Like

I’m sure you are relieved in some way to have the appointment done with now. I’ve been through the same process myself. Within a few days softer foods chewing on the other side of my mouth were fine.
Can you get good tofu? A tofu scramble with avocado is tasty and filling. Your gazpacho is perfect! Hope you heal quickly.

1 Like

I’m impressed you had dinner first. I would have gone straight for the ice cream. (I live alone so there are no witnesses ;)!

2 Likes

Brick chicken quarters . Rosemary , garlic , lemon. FM mixed salad with oo and salt . ( I am on this new dressing kick . No acidic ) Boiled new potatoes halved . couple grains of coarse sea salt and a drizzle of oo . Wine to drink. :wine_glass: Cheers

4 Likes

No real cooking here in SoCal. It’s been blazing hot and DH had some big deal oral surgery a week ago so it’s been a lot of Keifer, thin shakes, Jamba juices, and eggs. Tonight we shared an omelet with some truffle fries on the side. I had a glass of rosé and DH is stuck with water until he finishes his antibiotics tomorrow.

6 Likes

Try breaking in a raw egg, the yoke adds richness . When using butter and milk, I will add only the egg white, it gives them a lighter texture, really nice. I use an old fashioned hand mixer/beater for optimal results when using egg as an ingredient in my mashed potatoes.

1 Like

The source is lost in the mists of time but I always understood that if you used a lot of butter in mashed potato you shouldn’t also use milk.

Milk and butter together are fine in moderation but if you go for extreme butter the milk actually stops the butter and potato emulsifying properly and you don’t get towards that “Robuchon” style mash.

1 Like

Vietnamese caramel pork tacos, with basil, mint, scallions, cilantro, jalapenos. Nectarine & yellow tomato on the side, also with a little mint, and nuoc cham dressing. blistered padron peppers.

9 Likes

Also SV and Vietnamese (style) here, @mariacarmen.

Not a new dish to me but I do have salmon, ripe tomatoes and fish sauce to put it together. On my 3rd day abstaining from meat and alcohol (glass in photo is the partner’s). The hardest part with SV fish is turning without breaking it.

9 Likes

beautiful. damn the fish-disliking BF!

2 Likes

To quote the inimitable Julia Child, “if you’re afraid of butter, use cream.” I use both in mashed potatoes, but the cream is very important to get them loose enough to stay creamy as they cool. I add enough to make them almost soupy when they’re hot, because the starches take a while to absorb the liquid fully and they stiffen a bit as they sit. Milk is not an adequate substitute if you want that super luscious texture.

3 Likes