What's for Dinner #24 - 08/2017 - Hot Summer Nights on Grill Continue

I bought a big cryovac of whole flap steak at Restaurant Depot a couple of weeks ago and have been letting it wet age in the fridge. Cracked it open tonight and trimmed them up - ended up with three huge steaks, a couple pounds of kebab chunks and a couple pounds of odds and ends for the grinder.

Anyway, I tossed one of the steaks, heavily salted, on the cast iron grill pan and let it go for 7 minutes per side - got a great crust, and ended up with a perfect med rare inside. Roasted red bell peppers and cherry tomatoes with Parmesan and ricotta alongside, plus pesto for smearing on the steak. Summery and delicious!

7 Likes

Mmmmmm

Oh my!

Dinner tonight was last night’s dinner since the Grand-Scallion filled up on melon and didn’t want a proper lunch. I added a gazpacho for me and a tomato salad for him.

3 Likes

I’m officially ON VACATION!!! WoooHOoooooOoooo! My last two "vacations " included a work laptop and were not exactly relaxing so this time there’s no laptop and the office is just gonna have to deal without me!

My flight is in about seven hours- and i set a precedent back in college so now it’s just expected that i arrive with bagels … they like the larger softer ones more than the small dense versions.
I bought 12 but only 11 will make it to CA ;))

Half that sesame was dinner, too fresh to even bother toasting! schmeared with half an avocado and some smoked salt on top. A big glass of green juice a la carte to take care of the rest of the random veggies in the fridge.

14 Likes

Have a wonderful time!

2 Likes

Even better since there is actually food in the pan!

Woohoo I’m officially on vacation for the rest of the year.

10 Likes

Deep Run Roots’ peach/jalapeno glaze that we didn’t like on chicken a couple weeks ago was FAB on pork shoulder. Already cooked, glazed, frozen, defrosted today, and reheated with tons more sliced jalapeno and cilantro. TJs toasted coconut rice with BF’s oil-preserved basil we had in fridge. Coconutty yumminess, though could have just as easily made this from scratch. next time. Cilantro/scallions over all.

On the side, red cabbage and red onion marinated in rice wine vinegar, salt, little brown sugar/sesame oil, mixed with slivered cukes, topped with scallions and cilantro.

7 Likes

I love flap steak, I have one waiting in the freezer for the grill one of these days. Do you have to have special something to shop at restaurant depot?

Have a great time! This is my last weekend of vacation :confused: I better soak up every minute

2 Likes

Just want to say I enjoy looking at and learning about all your lovely meals!

5 Likes

You need to have a business, and in my area all they ask for as proof is your Tax ID Number (TIN) or Employer ID Number (EIN). I have heard from people in other parts of the country that they will accept your SSN, but mine wouldn’t, even though I am a sole proprietor. They don’t care AT ALL what type of business you have, though - mine is not at all food-related. Anyway, take in proof of your tax ID and they’ll give you a membership card, no fee. My location seems to be pretty cool about giving out “day passes” just so you can check it out even without a tax ID. Great deals on meat, excellent fish department, but get ready to buy in QUANTITY - RD makes Costco look bush league!

1 Like

Awesome, thanks! I’m a new Costco addict so probably best I not investigate…

Well, this is news to me! There’s a relatively new RD in my town, but I thought the business had to be food-related - good to know it’s not required! I’ll have to print out my company’s W-9 for a visit! LOL

1 Like

@LindaWhit. Nope. I joined and use the place in Chelsea. My TaxID number is for a different business altogether. My biggest problem has been the quantity one has to buy in the meat, vegetable, fish, and dairy departments.

The application takes some time to fill out, so don’t go to the desk and expect to have your membership card immediately. Took about 20 minutes. And, the fresh food area is COLD. Bring a jacket. There are no cases, they simply refrigerate the entire half of the building.

2 Likes

Had some fresh mozzarella from the FM so I grabbed a ball of dough and some pepperoni on the way home for pizza night.

7 Likes

Wanted to make a lemongrass beef with noodle dish I had in Hanoi, Vietnam. Only realised there’s no bean shoots when I got home from shopping. It’s so good I’ll make it again, with bean shoots. The seasoning is based on this recipe.

I always use a huge amount of lemongrass just because I love the stuff.

The other plate is exactly the same but with leftover octopus tentacles.

Lots of chopped peanuts here (I don’t like peanuts and don’t add any to my own). The bean shoots are blanched.

There are a couple more things to add to your “Bun Bo” to make it more substantial such as toasted half baguettes, chicken and savoury pastes wrapped in banana leaves.

55 euro cents a bowl! 55! I like it when there’s a clear and visible price list. Interesting that anyone can sell alcohol. Permit is probably easy to obtain.

6 Likes

I will shred some cucumber if bean sprouts could not be found. (Maybe some carrots or white radish too).

Their price today. Food 4x price of 2005, while drinks twice.

No idea if it was the same lady, she looked quite alike.

An odd dinner tonight that 100% didn’t go together, and needs some tweaking, but it was interesting to see how it all worked out individually.

I remembered that I had picked up some TJ’s Corn, Burrata and Basil ravioli and stashed them in the freezer, so that was the main part of dinner. I decided to make a corn & olive oil cream sauce to go on top. Looks icky, tasted pretty good.

I made a chopped salad of tomato, cucumber and radish with a sesame dressing. BOOM. Didn’t go together. But it was in my brain. And no way it was getting out. So it got made.

Salad was good - just not with the milder corn-burrata ravioli.

Ravioli was good (although sauce needed to be thinner). Just not with the stronger-flavored salad.

At least the wine worked with both. :smiley:

4 Likes