What's for Dinner #24 - 08/2017 - Hot Summer Nights on Grill Continue

Menu 26 August.

Cherry Stone Clams in Brodo with garlic, white wine, spanish EVO, parsley and red pepper flakes

Mixed Grill: Skirt Steak, Homemade Longaniza & Chorizo, chimichuri.

Fresh Jersey Corn with sea salt, butter, Spanish EVO & red pepper flakes.

Home Grown Heirloom Tomato Caprese with Italian EVO fresh Mozerell, Thai & Italian Basil.

Insalata Verdura with Rocket, Romaine & fresh chives. Spanish EVO again.

Pears alla Tosca with Vanilla Ice Cream.

We had guests today so unfortunately no fotos, but it was delishus, especially the skirt steak which was USDA Choice. @Presunto skirt steak is the cut the French call “bavette”.

I have been getting the fresh Longaniza and Chorizo from the Mexican butcher at Juanitos Market, it just rocks.

5 Likes

{{{{{Hugs}}}}} And while they’re cats and rarely show emotion towards their humans, they DO love you for what you’re doing to take care of them.

2 Likes

Or detective Olivia Benson. The gun and the badge were meant to be a hint.

1 Like

Met a food forum friend for dinner. She is the vegan/gf person I’m picking up in Maine and continuing the drive to PEI for our cooking retreat next month. She had business in Durham and brought some items that don’t fly well that I’ll bring in the car.

Dinner was at a newish Ethiopian place. We ordered two vegan platters (3 mains and two sides) so were able to sample all 6 Vegan entrees and all 4 sides. Our spice tolerance was asked and we said we liked spice. The only item with much heat was a raw jalapeno stuffed with something. Flavors were good but largely quite soft in texture. By the end of the meal my mouth wanted a little crunch…My friend is more familiar with the cuisine and pronounced it good. She said the menu was represenative of standard dishes. Hopefully they will expand the menu if business permits.

The Circus Cat and I are adjusting to a quieter house. He has rediscovered how utterly fascinating I am ie: he is increasingly under foot! We’ll get it figured out eventually. Someone I don’t even know (sibling of a co-worker) shipped a sympathy gift which included “hand selected chicken treats” for the Circus Cat. They actually smell quite good and he shakes with excitement when I open one. Just makes me wonder how one auditions for the job of “hand selecting” cat treats…

Thank you all for the sympathies expressed about Mr. Harley Cat. It was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done in a life of a lot of hard things. Even vet was crying. We had a lot of good years and he was ready. Me, not so much but some things you can’t choose.

So hug your fur babies. And kiss your 2 legged sweeties if you got 'em!

8 Likes

Thanks for posting the photos. I didn’t do any food research then and would do the same again (if I ever go to VN). It was simpler back then. Nostalgia!

The bowls seem bigger now but not 4 times as much as the price. Probably the same employee but I can’t really tell. There was only her in my photo but now I see someone in the foreground (not one holding cash). Hope the quality remains the same.

PS: forgot to mention I used goat’s leg meat which was first SV’ed then marinated. Briefly stir-fried the meat in batches. I notice the meat is sliced very thinly in the Hanoi photos and my goat’s meat is not. It was still good.

I didn’t go to Hanoi on my recent trip, I found them on trip advisor. The place seems famous, they are now opening branches! I think they are family owned in the beginning, I don’t think the girl on the pic was an employee. Yes, now they have employees and uniform. I don’t think I have eaten at this joint.

1 Like

i do that every day. They sleep with me, work outdoor with me ( My Luna thinks she is a gardener. She digs and digs with her paw when I am pulling weeds) , travel with me almost everywhere as they had been labeled officially as 'EMOTIONAL SUPPORT DOGS" which they are.

I am also bringing them next week to help a little 7 year old girl whose 9 year old sibling has been hospitalized for undergoing chemo for cancer of her leg. How sad. I plan to do this routinely for sick children’s ward as suggested by my Pomeranian Club since they qualify as emotional support dogs. Was at Costco in March when I was approached by an elderly guy who was undergoing treatment for severe Congestive Heart Failure. He showed me his central line. He wanted to hold my dogs which my Wolfie allowed as he crave for attention. After 15 minutes, he asked if he can borrow my Wolfie… I told him negative. I also need him for support, offered the name of my breeder.

I cannot offer them for you to hold but am offering their picture. Wish he can dance the Cha Cha Cha for you to bring a smile to y our face.
Hope my babies can help cheer you up

5 Likes

Duck duck, DUCK!

A D’Artagnan duck breast in the freezer was defrosted. Pan-seared, then into the oven with a blood orange syrup/minced fresh ginger glaze until medium rare.

Israeli couscous with minced onion, mango powder, and salt and pepper.

Steamed green beans with toasted almonds.

Wine.

A very good Sunday dinner.

7 Likes

ah! i just don’t know the show.

Chuck steak, reverse seared. turned out fine, but I’d rather have a rib eye. under the steak, a salad of romaine and butter lettuces, pencil asparagus, toms, shallots and purple cabbage, with TJs blue cheese dressing - good! Alongside, esquites, with less than the usual mayo, added a minced radish, and surprisingly spicy-for-a-change jalapeno.

11 Likes

Home made Ahi Poke on a ripe avocado with nori salad, daikon and home grown cherry tomatoes:

5 Likes

Chicken breast. Sliced horizontally; each half smeared with “French” mustard. There is actually absolutely nothing French about French mustard in the UK - invented by Colman’s in the 1930s. Dark and ever so slightly sweet. Works very well with steak (although that may be a cultural thing as it’s what it was really designed for, I understand) and, IMO, also good with chicken.

Normally, there would be a straight topping of breadcrumbs, but I’ve leftover fried peppers and onions, so they are going to be pressed in to the mustard before the breadcrumbs. It’s then baked till it’s cooked and the breadcrumbs are crispy.

Alongside, a salad of bits and bobs from the fridge - there’s watercress, pea shoots, bay spinach and radish.

7 Likes

Another vote for rib-eye, MariaCarmen. I already SV’ed mine yesterday :joy:
Beautiful plating and colours, btw.

Made this and photographed it before leaving for a beer fest because I knew by the time we got home it would be dark. Made it to the beer tasting event only 5 minutes after opening and joined the queue. Gorgeous sunny day and we had quite a bit to drink. Good thing I already made dinner because we were so tired and hungry when we got home. Intended to stay no longer than 5 hours but ended up staying 8. Didn’t bring any snacks, just water!

We were so happy to sink our teeth into this:

So far the only seafood worth SV’ing. Galician style, that means simply boiled octopus and served with olive oil and paprika, eaten with boiled potatoes.

Fresh corn to replace potatoes because it’s so nice and in season.

Gonna take it easy and lay off the beer until the weekend!

6 Likes

Sliced a chicken breast in half to make two chicken sandwiches . Lettuce, tomato and basil leaves to dress it.

4 Likes

Its hot, hot, hot here this week (106-111 degrees…) so things that can be cooked quickly on the stove top are in order. Tonight will be chicken picatta (almond flour “breaded,”) with a big salad. Raspberries and blueberries with whipped coconut cream for dessert.

3 Likes

Dinner was a quick fix - udon noodles with sauteed chicken and veggies - onions, carrots, celery, and red bell peppers with a peanut sauce.

3 Likes

It actually feels like a touch of fall is in the air! Sat/Sun had amazingly low humidity - unheard of for August. Now there is a slight drizzle of cold droplets. Some leaves have begun to fall.

Sun. night went out with my visiting friend again. This area has many GF or Vegan options. But when looking for both paired with it being a Sunday - yikes! We ended up at an Asian Fusian place and were quite happy. She chose a rosé which had a chameleon affinity for each flavor. My impressions of rosé was formed decades ago and unfavorable. Nice to be brought up to date!

Tonight was a Cajun/Mexican mishmash of leftovers. Half a steak burrito, red beans and rice and maque choux. It worked and my fridge looks a little less like the Jenga game fom hell.

3 Likes

Kalbi marinated since yesterday afternoon. i used a Maangchi recipe, but added a little liquid smoke since we don’t have a bbq. Delish! and Vietnamese garlic noodles - forgot how fantastic these are! also, a red & green cabbage slaw, with white vinegar, sesame oil, a little mayo, a little brown sugar and okonomiyaki sauce (we were out of Thai sweet chili sauce).

7 Likes

Egg white frittata with broccoli and ham and cheese and then…

bar food because some nights you need to find something to dip in the jar of homemade mayo taunting you in the fridge. I mixed up a BBQ mayo dip with BBQ sauce, garlic, mayo, Worcestershire sauce and lots of black pepper. Perfect finish to the night and kitten enjoyed stealing bits of bacon. Leftovers for dinner tonight with boiled duck eggs

6 Likes

thanks Presunto!

that corn is singing to me… beer fest sounds fun!