What's for Dinner #24 - 08/2017 - Hot Summer Nights on Grill Continue

How do i say this nicely…, your take out sounds at least 100% better than the guests “hot pot” dish. Glad your kitchen remained unharmed and you had what must have been a more delicious meal.

The smell of the Walmart Brand hot dogs will linger, I fear. And there are no Walmarts nearby. They must have driven MILES to get Walmart brand hot dogs. Boston doesn’t have Walmarts.

1 Like

so sorry to hear. and you are giving him such a lovely send-off, but i know it’s so hard… strength to you tomorrow - it’ll be so good of you to be with him.

1 Like

ugh!

@meatn3. This is hard isn’t it? It took me some time to figure this out, but just like a human, I had to give my cat permission to die. He tried so hard to stay alive when I was encouraging, but when I told him he didn’t need to fight anymore, he was gone. Chances are, he is the only cat I know that has Dorset marble over where we buried him.

2 Likes

FOUND A CAR! Hallelujah! We get to pick it up on Sat. Used, but newer than the last 2 cars we’ve had in 14 years. so glad that’s over with.

dinner was five-spice chicken - marinade was soy sauce, sesame oil, mirin (i was out, so i used rice wine vinegar), brown sugar, garlic, cayenne, scallions, ginger, cilantro, and five spice, natch. the chicken was supposed to marinate overnight, but i got the instructions from someone too late. anyway, it was super flavorful as it was. first i seasoned & pan fried the thighs, then stuck them in the oven, then poured marinade over, finished cooking, basting with marinade. Finished under the broiler. Alongside was sweet steamed corn on the cob slathered with a blend of butter, toasted sesame oil, salt, gochugaru, and minced cilantro. this is my favorite COTC prep yet (besides just plain and buttered.) I may have to have this again this week.

Snow peas were quick-sauteed with minced ginger and slivered garlic, gochugaru, oyster sauce, and a little brown sugar. Still crispy.

9 Likes

One of our favorites is five spice pork chop. It is fantastic, Use Quick Fry preferably with the bone as i love to suck the bone which is fabulous. It is finger licking good!
This is a hand down recipe from my mother.
marinade the pork chop overnight( I usually buy a package? weight) with soy sauce, shaoxing wine, garlic powder, ginger that is peeled and smashed ,cider vinegar ( half of the soy sauce) lime juice and a tsp of baking powder, and probably a teaspoon of 5 spice ( I add five spice until I can smell it). Before cooking, I make a slit at the side of the pork chop ( where there is no bone) to prevent it from curling during frying. Dust with sweet potato starch, ( the fine as opposed to the coarse kind), Pan fry ( as opposed to deep fry)on high heat in peanut oil. It only takes a few min per side. It is great with rice, and tabasco sauce esp the chipotle tabasco sauce. Mom always use sweet potato starch for dying and I believe it comes out crispier.

This is also great with large prawns with head and shell. ( 9-12 count or even larger prawns ) I divide the prawns into 3 pieces.
We marinade that( I used garlic cloves with this too and ginger, scallion) and then dust with sweet potato starch, deep fry it and then, remove from the oil, cook the marinade back in a sauce pot for just a minute or so, then add it to the prawns in a covered dish, shake vigorously so that the marinade coats the prawns. I use garlic cloves, scallions and ginger bec that marinade is being used to coat the prawns and after simmering it for a few minutes, these ingredients makes the marinade tastier. DO NOT OVERCOOK OR YOU WILL NOT HAVE ENOUGH TO COAT THE PRAWNS . This is only good if you do not mind the head and shells of prawns . The shells at this point is edible if you like it. The head is full of juice that one can suck on. Sometimes, I would mince some hot green pepper and scatter it on the prawns . I do not serve this to people who are skirmish about shells and heads of prawns. It is a waste!

Sorry I do not have proportion for marinade as I do not measure my ingredients, just eyeball it. The most important thing is the amount of SS so it will be salty enough but not too salty. I just use half of cider vinegar ( approximately) bec I am adding lime to my marinade.

3 Likes

Re Vietnamese greens, your son could bring them back from Amsterdam if he could clear US customs.

1 Like

The other day, my neighbour raved how great the passion fruits brought by her friend living in Martinique. I asked, how come he could bring fruits on airplane?!

Some weekend eats. I’m on a staycation so while the plan was to be more elaborate with meals in the kitchen, burnout said otherwise so lots of easy meals this weekend, easy but tasty.

Sous vide chicken salad with Greek yogurt nutritional yeast anchovy dressing and merlot salt. The merlot salt was a gift and was perfect in this salad.

Scotch quail eggs

Skillet tortilla pizza courtesy of Kenji from Serious Eats, easy bar food, it’s hard to go wrong

I used almond flour tortillas so had some burning issues on the edges but just pulled them off before eating

3 Likes

Sometimes those are the best meals of all. Good to see you enjoying the Merlot salt.

1 Like

So true! I’m so exhausted that anything too elaborate is too much to even think about but a girl still needs tasty food. I’m planning to use it on broiled swordfish tonight.

Why not? If they are freeze dried bananas they should be good.

I like them over vanilla ice cream with a little home made fudge sauce and macadamia nuts.

Kind of a homemade chunky monkey.

1 Like

These appear to be fried and then dusted with sugar and salt. These guests claim that they are the most delicious thing under the sun and I should eat them when I want a sweet snack. [I am not a big sweet snack kind of person though.]

Braised pork ribs in fish sauce, chili and five spice powder, pickled bean sprouts, bok choy with leeks carrot garlic ginger bacon and fish sauce, dumplings with chicken & cabbage:

3 Likes

Dinner tonight was leftovers from last night’s meal, plus a stir fry of corn, green beans, and tomatoes. This is a Grace Young recipe from Breath of the Wok, a collection of recipes from the diaspora. It was a really refreshing stir-fry with garlic, ginger and serrano peppers.

And my plate:

Tomorrow night we move over to Mexico. Local tomatillos and cilantro are coming to market.

6 Likes

Mexican here as well

Chicken mole using Rogelio jarred mole and meat from a couple of just harvested leg quarters and wings poached in just made chicken stock.

Served over jasmine rice. Pushed my buttons

2 Likes

Chicken quarters . Sauteed with oo, garlic , lemon, rosemary . Macaroni salad , spinach with garlic and oil . This whole house selling thing is new to me . What a whirlwind . On the market and sold with money in the pocket in 18 days . Wine to drink . :wine_glass::wine_glass: Cheers.

6 Likes

I have sold several houses. One took over a year to sell. One took less than 10 minutes. The latter is better. Money in the pocket is the reward for all the work you did to present the house in its best possible light. Enjoy that wine!

1 Like

Congrats! i only had to ever sell my parents’ house and it was brutal, especially fixing it all up. Cin-Cin!

1 Like