What's for Dinner #24 - 08/2017 - Hot Summer Nights on Grill Continue

Woke up wanting salad for dinner tonight. So after thinking about what was in the fridge, it became a composed salad with Lemon-Mustard-Parsley Vinaigrette. Salad components are lettuce, eggs, tomatoes, chopped red bell pepper, cukes, radishes, carrots, goat cheese & bacon.

A V&L alongside. Something on the TV.

7 Likes

Tonight’s Dinner , ( wish I have a SV for more tender chicken breast)
Chicken Vindaloo served with Naan Bread
browned 3 packages of chicken breast from Costco, marinaded them with 2 cups of cider vinegar and 4 tbsp of vindaloo powder from Spice Shop ( coriander, cumin, turmeric, black red pepper and cinnamon )
sauteed 2 medium onions till translucent, added a couple of small sweet red peppers from the garden , 3 tomatoes, 1 tbsp of peppercorn , bay leaf , juice and zest of lime, roasted some dried peppers ( ancho, mulato, papilla)

, added the chicken with marinade, a glass of red wine, simmer till chicken was almost soft. , added potatoes and a can of coconut milk. Corrected seasoning with 2 more tablespoon of Vindaloo and some salt.

7 Likes

What was in your burger blend?

SHITTY day here, all having to do with our car and car-related things. Shaking it off with this very comforting Thai basil stir fry, using this recipe: https://food52.com/recipes/9433-thai-basil-stir-fry-put-kaprow

i used ground pork and ground beef, because i had it, added cilantro, and crispy fried shallots on top. I made us each a fried egg because our souls needed it. Super good and spicy.

salad was nuoc-cham-marinated red onions on romaine, toms, and more basil & cilantro.

9 Likes

As head nurse of the kitty infirmary I’ve been thankful for my frozen assets. Meatball sandwiches, sv chicken made into salad, soups have been the mainstay lately. I did manage to roast a pan of sweet potato, red grapes, carrot, onion, something else that escapes me and cook a pork tenderloin. The roasted veggies were used in various ways during the week.

Mr. Harley Cat has declined with amazing speed the last few days. He’s an indoor cat but we spent 2 hours on the deck in the cool of the morning. He had a few bites of kitten food, drank water, sniffed the air, watched blue jays squabble, squirrels scamper and dozed in the sun. I had a few cups of coffee seasoned with tears. We are working on having as perfect of a kitty day as can be achieved…Tried to purchase lamb but failed last night. Heading out soon to try again. Lamb is the unanimous favorite here so I may be able to get him to eat a little. It may even tempt me to eat a little. :cry:We will be at the vet’s office tomorrow. Think we have reached that point…an eclipse seems like a fitting send off .

6 Likes

:two_hearts:

1 Like

:cry: :crying_cat_face: :broken_heart: I’m so very sorry, but keep in your heart that he knows how much you love him. Many, many hugs to you both.

2 Likes

Obviously making the best of the situation

1 Like

I only used the heads this time. Unfortunately the sweet onion slices are far bigger than squid heads. Want to make it better next time.

Vietnamese eat as much fermented shrimp pastes as their neighbours. I can no longer find Vietnamese pastes so Thai will have to do. This garlicky stir-fry dish is probably the most popular in Vietnam, usually without the fermented shrimp paste.

The pastes I got this weekend: this one is a bit more moist than the other. Tastes almost the same to me. There’s another one in jar but I didn’t get it. It probably tastes the same.

Took a long time to squeeze everything out.

3 Likes

My heart is breaking for you… you sound like a loving and attentive kitty parent.

2 Likes

Well, I done good with my dinner tonight, if I do say so myself.
And I do say so myself. :wink:

Seasoned chicken tenders were previously sauteed.
Broccoli florets were previously steamed.
Bacon was previously cooked and crumbled.

A half-ball of sourdough pizza was stretched on a lightly oiled piece of parchment. Roasted garlic cream sauce was spread on the dough, and the pizza was topped with chicken, broccoli and bacon. A little bit of shredded mozzarella on top, and then slid the parchment onto a baking stone in a preheated hot 450° oven for about 15 minutes. Julienned fresh basil sprinkled on top. SO. Damn. Good!

A V&L alongside.

11 Likes

So sorry, my heart aches for u
My 2 poms means more than anything to me
Part of me died when I lost my husband 2012 till they came into my life
I would be so lost without them
They sleep with me, goes out to the garden with me , are like my children, even loves me more than my son .
Take care

3 Likes

So envious
cannot buy Ong Chay ( water spinach) in my State of Maryland.
They had been banned since around 10 year ago as they may pollute the Chesapeake Bay.
I have to drive to Va, to the Vietnamese store for them, and only available Friday and early Saturday. If I am late, they are all sold out.
In the Philippines, it is poor man’s food but in nearby Va, they retail between $3.99 to $4.99 per pound. I have seen them at Lotte in Md after the ban for as much as $6.99 once or twice. I was told they imported it from Boston, hence the price!!! Also, because the store was risking being fined!
Love it sauteed with lots of garlic, EVOO , soy sauce, S/P and cider vinegar
Also in tamarind soup with fish and shrimp. It is one of the Filipino dish that I crave. You can buy Tamarind Soup mix ( Knorr, Mama Sitas), follow direction, add tomato, smash a piece of ginger, fish and shrimp and a bunch of Ong Chay just before serving, It is sooooo good! Serve with rice.

1 Like

Grilled NY Strip loin with EVO, shepherds salad with fresh tomatoes from the garden, eggplant & zucchini fried in olive oil with mint and chopped almonds, haricots vertes in EVO with feta and chives:

Close-up of steak:

9 Likes

Last night was gazpacho! I accidentally found a little farmers market in a part of the city i’m not usually in and they had a great deal on a bag of less than perfect heirloom tomatoes :tomato: my secret ingredient is some original v8 (shhhhhhh!) kinda random but i had an olive bun in the freezer that i cubed and toasted up as croutons.

Tonight was a definitely not authentic but certainly tasty version of bibimbap. I cheated and used some trader joe’s frozen rice, then made some sautéed spinach with sesame oil that was chilled, then and also this garlicy eggplant dish with my vegetarian fish sauce and skipped the spicy stuff, also made this bean sprout cucumber dish as a topping, and then some sliced smoked tofu and kimchi. Everything was chilled except for the rice which i’m not enthusiastic about anyhow but i do like a few bites as a kind of palette cleanser. I eat it the wrong way and leave stuff in little piles instead of mixing together.

6 Likes

Nice dinner @VikingKaj ! I couldn’t make the random vegetables that are in my fridge into something that made sense. So, I decided I needed some hot & sour soup. We were planning to go to the restaurant to eat, but then my AirBNB guests decided they wanted to cook dinner. Rarely do guests want to cook, and when they do, it always destroys something. We reversed our plan and ordered some take out so I could stand by in the kitchen.

This Chinese family made a hot pot. Not to my taste, but they were willing to let me watch. First they boiled 1/2 lb of spaghetti, then they cracked twelve eggs into the water. Next up the tomatoes (plum) went in and finally 8 hot dogs, spiral cut and then sectioned into 3" inch sections. What is too bad is I have a great Korean/Japanese market at the bottom of my street that carries Chinese fresh noodles, and Chinese sausages, and some really nice Berkshire pork. And then Mr. Guest meticulously cleaned the pot, the soup bowls, and the few things they had used to prep. Nothing was burned. Nothing was damaged.

While they enjoyed their hot pot, I had my soup, dry-fried green beans and rice.

3 Likes

This is a thing?

That doesn’t sound too good, but have you ever had Filipino spaghetti and hot dogs with banana ketchup:

It’s surprisingly good.

I haven’t, though I have “heard” of the banana ketchup. My Filipino guests brought me banana chips. I haven’t opened the package. Should I?

I know!! It really is. I was skeptical for a very long time but i don’t make or eat a lot of rice and i have a special talent for burning the crap out of it.
You literally just microwave the portion you want and it’s actually very nice texture. I like the medley version best

1 Like