What's for Dinner #23 - 07/2017 - the Summertime Picnic & Grilling Edition

Long week. Even though it was a short week. Unfortunately, not for me.

Have had this recipe printed out for awhile, and decided to try it tonight. I used chicken broth and lime juice instead of just water and didn’t use lime wedges.

Sides were Basmati rice and steamed green beans. Wine. T’was good.

10 Likes

That recipe is perfect! On these chilly, rainy nights this looks like it would hit the spot. Are those local beans?

1 Like

While not sleeping last night i mixed together a big batch of veggie burgers- regardless of the recipe all veggie burger have to and must chill for several hours before cooking if you ever want them to hold together well.

The veg burger “formula” from this site was a total game changer for me and now i can out them together with about anything! Basically if you have beans, veggies, rice/oats/quinoa and some pantry stuff you can make these. Actually my omni sister uses this formula too but with half beans and half ground meat to get more veggies into my nephew!
Last night i used a can of white beans, lots of mushrooms cooked til they gave up all their liquid (added soy sauce and earth balance vegan butter while cooking), as well as a stray half bell pepper and a small zucchini, used dry thyme, smoked salt, generous black pepper, oats, chopped olives, lots of nutritional yeast and used my spice grinder to get tiny walnut crumbles since the dental work situation means nothing too crunchy right now.
Shaped into some patties and some as balls and refrigerated . I’ll cook and freeze extras for quick future dinners
Tonight i made a big salad with some soft mixed greens, shredded a cucumber and chopped a big tomato, lightly dressed with dijon vinegrette. Cooked a few of the meatless balls and out onto salad after they cooled a bit. Big glass of reisling a la carte

4 Likes

This week had two Mondays. Plus a full moon. It’s Friday night. Enjoy your meal and wine Linda. Looks good.

2 Likes

emglow, for me Dukes is not as sweet - it has no sugar in it. a little tangier, a little saltier, maybe.

I would like that .

Last night felt cold and damp. Plus it was pouring. No grilled fish, so we bought some chicken at the poultry store and I made a parmesan. Served with Angel Hair pasta, since that is what I wanted!

We only ate half the cooked chicken. The rest was stored without any toppings and will turn into either lunch or dinner today. Perhaps a sandwich?

12 Likes

Thanks for mentioning the wonton meatballs. I made them for dinner the other night (used parsley instead of cilantro), and they’re super good and easy!

I leave out the cilantro, soap bubble person :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hefty porterhouse and scallops!

Liverwurst and cheese platter for dessert. I’ve had primal cravings for liverwurst for weeks so enjoying it as much as possible especially as I just discovered an old world style German meat market in town. Now to fight off the kitten who also loves it.

1 Like

had chicken breast parmesan per Kenji Lopez’s recipe ( marinated since Wednesday for thursday dinner still had 2 pieces of breast sliced in half soaking in buttermilk. so, I pan fried , added mozzarella and parmesan cheese in the center, , into the oven till cheese melted), topped with Kenji’s best red sauce which was cooked in oven for 6 hours that is again repeat performance of Thursday’s dinner, raw oysters with tabasco for appetizer. lemon, cauliflower rice and romaine lettuce with Datu Puti coconut vinegar dressing, and crumbles topped with cream

I had given this recipe to my neighbor who had guests last Friday and wanted to show her how important it is to follow certain recipes. She forgot to marinade the chicken in buttermilk, until last minute, and probably did not follow the recipe of dipping the breast in flour ( I used fine sweet potato starch as I find it to be better medium for frying ), dipped in eggs with splash of buttermilk, 2/3panko, ( @Ttrockwood not 2/3 panic heh ! heh! ) 1/3 parmesan then pan fried, topped with cubed mozzarella and more parmesan on the center so the edge of the chicken comes out crusty. She also bought red sauce instead of Kenji’s sauce, worth the 6 hours of cooking in the oven as I froze enough for 6 meals.

I am again alone with my 2 pomeranians , feeling better but garden still need lots and lots of attention .Tropicals blooming, maples and boxwoods to be trimmed
wander if I get around to grilling and smoking

10 Likes

It’s cheaper to order from target than amazon fyi

Sadly, Father’s Day grilled pizza had to be postponed due to an unexpected work trip for hubby. I had stashed the pizza dough in the freezer from the wonderful Fornax bakery in Roslindale MA and finally found an opportunity to use it up. It was really nice dough, very easy to work with and quite flavorful. The pizza was worth the wait.

9 Likes

That looks worth eating!

1 Like

Don’t think so - not yet.

Kimballs and Wilson Farms now have local beans! Picked some up this morning at the Union Square market.

1 Like

Waiting for the farm stand near me (supplied by Farmer Dave’s CSA in Dracut) to have their own local beans.

Errands.
Watching storm clouds come in.
Opening doors to enjoy the temperature drop.
Closing them again because of the mongo downpours.
Cheesy Amazon Prime movies all afternoon. Although a very good one with Shirley MacLaine and Amanda Seyfried called “The Last Word”.

Dinner: pork tenderloin seasoned with s/p and dried thyme, roasted and basted with a spicy maple-mustard sauce; Israeli couscous (didn’t toast the couscous enough); sauteed local corn stripped from the cob, zucchini, and red bell pepper, seasoned with salt and Penzeys Sunny Spain seasoning blend. Wine.

5 Likes

liverwurst is a great medium to hide medicine in for cats and dogs!

1 Like

Spider lilies have the most wonderful scent!