What's for Dinner #23 - 07/2017 - the Summertime Picnic & Grilling Edition

Fried chicken sandwiches. Boneless skinless thighs, soaked in buttermilk and spices all day. Coated with a mix of panko, corn meal, flour, and spices. On toasted brioche with lettuce, Sir Kingston special sauce, and a pickled beet slice. Tomato slices, watermelon, and wine for sides.

11 Likes

SV quail. They are too small, not worth the hassle butterflying. Marinated in a “master sauce” similar to 1 used for soya braised chicken. When done SV I just browned them in some more “master sauce”.

Made sesame Spätzle because I had ground sesame left from something else. Added some sesame oil after the photos otherwise it would be too shiny and reflect lots of light.

“Master sauce” with crispy Sichuan chillies in oil for dipping.

6 Likes

must be very tasteful
beautiful presentation also
what is that white vegetable(?) all curled up?
asparagus? cannot figure out

I feel for you! I am going for a crown this week. May or may not involve a root canal!

Life has a bit all over lately. Finally back to work after three weeks off sick.

Husband working night shifts so the weekend was kind of a bust. Plus it’s hot here and no a/c, so this weekend has been BBQ and salads.

Last night was BISO chicken breast with maple seasoning, a Mexican bean salad.

Today, I threw black bean sweet potato chili on in the slow cooker and also whipped up some grilled boneless, skinless chicken thighs. I also made a thai edamame salad and a batch of no bake haystack cookies.

Toddler and I went to the splash pad this afternoon for a bit of fun.

2 Likes

Sesame spaetzle sounds interesting! How was it?

1 Like

Oh my gosh, i hope the sickness is behind you now, that’s a very long time to feel like crap…!
Unfortunately that was not my first root canal, and whatever, after the pain stopped i felt 1000% more human and less suicidal. Avoid hot/very cold things between bow and your appt, that can set it off hurting like a motherlover.

I forgot about no bake haystack cookies! Those are Good Stuff!

1 Like

I found some good looking corn and zucchini at the market and decided i needed tacos made with those kind of thick half corn half flour tortillas i love. I chopped and sautéed some onion and garlic, cut the corn off the cob and let that gets nice charred bits to it, then added small diced zucchini. Set that aside and seared some tempeh i sliced and sprinkled with "taco seasoning ". Toasted tortillas over the flame.
Tacos got a bit of each plus some fresh cilantro and a blob of mild salsa. Except…they wouldn’t close!! Hahaha. Whoopsie.
So, i ended up with two tostadas! Hit the spot.
Plenty of leftover fillings since i am incapable of actually only cooking one serving- I’ll probably add to some greens and bring a taco salad style lunch for work tomorrow.

8 Likes

Yes, shaved asparagus. I have asparagus, tomatoes and rhubarb in the house. Got a kilo of asparagus the other day, probably my last kilo. Some stalls at the market still sell it. They are really stretching the season.

We liked it, especially the partner. Nice with sesame oil or the “master sauce”. Actually, I was thinking of making udon noodles with the ground sesame but Spaetzle is a lot faster. Make the batter as usual and just add the ground sesame. Exactly how I also make Spaetzle with beetroots and other vegs. Do try it someday.

1 Like

So, you shave the asparagus with a vegetable peeler?
How thick?
The presentation is absolutely beautiful!

CCJ, thank you. Yes, just a regular peeler. No thickness adjustment. If you want it thicker then use a mandolin (be extremely careful with it though).

More fat than meat but it’s super moist.

SV lamb ribs (with nothing added), then marinated over night in Gochujan which was thinned with rice wine and sesame oil. Warmed the ribs briefly in the oven to get a bit of a crisp on the exterior. Suuuuuper tender and yummy. Extra Gochujang on the side. Radish kimchi (2 weeks in the fridge). I quite like the pastel pink on the radishes.

Gratuitous photo of my new wok, which comes with a manual.

4 Likes

A chicken thigh “confit” with roasted carrots

The chicken was salted and seasoned and spent time in the bath at 150f X ~ 18 hrs. Timing isn’t critical past 10-12 hrs or so. You want it good and tender and not too wet. Finished in the oven at 350f for about 30-40 min to brown

4 Likes

thanks for tip
ribs look fantastic and yummy too

Did you ground the black sesame yourself in a powder? Looks good your Spätzle!

I’m now in Hong Kong. After the tummy upset which vanished when I left Cambodia, now I have a cold LOL in the heat of summer, I think I got it in my last days in Vietnam in Saigon, where the hotel room had air con. Of course the fact that in HK, the air con is like a freezer doesn’t help.

So here are some highlights of the meals we had in Phu Quoc.

In a night market in Duong Dong, we had a seafood meal:

Grilled squid, with a lime and herb sauce dip.

Grilled clams with herbs and peanut

Raw mackerel salad with rice paper, rice noodle and herbs with a peanut sauce.
We had to compose our wrap ourselves by put the lettuce, herbs, fish, and roll. Then dipped in the sauce, a delice!

Fresh spring roll with a peanut sauce

Apparently, in Phu Quoc, they love peanuts more than other part of Vietnam.

7 Likes

Re sesame Spaetzle, I toast the seeds and grind them in a processor.

Nice food in Phu Quoc. I’m particularly fond of bivalves anywhere. That’s a lot of peanuts. I would have to ask them to omit all of it.

How did you agree on the price of food? I despise the sneaky dual price system because tourists are walking wallets.

1 Like

take care, speedy recovery .
take some Vitamin C and lots of oranges, maybe can help y our immune system.
We gorged ourselves in a famous seafood restaurants when we we in HK. All seafood plus Ong Chay sauteed in garlic and oil and fried quail. The quail was crispy with just the usual salt, pulverized roasted szechuan pepper and a squeeze of lemon, the way it is often served in Chinese 12-15 course banquets .
When we arrived in Tokyo the next day, my son was sick , GI upset. from eating! My husband and I were not affected though.
I love HK, my favorite place for food!

2 Likes

Mediumish baked scotch eggs

For dessert, goat milk’s frozen yogurt with coconut oil cocoa magic shell

Tonight is another wonton meatball night but I’m planning to chop them up and sauté with broccoli and onions and eat wrapped in nori

3 Likes

East and West.

SV octopus tentacles. Galician style: simply cooked without any seasoning, eaten with boiled potatoes, OO and paprika powder.

I have until mid september to clear the fridge so you are going to see the same seasonings and spices in the coming weeks. These tentacles were cooked in the same bath, also without any spices. When done I marinated them overnight in Gochujang, rice wine and sesame oil. Brushed the same sauce over the tentacles and put them under the grill briefly.

5 Likes

Two nights ago, there were two items that had to be incorporated– local blueberries and a local hothouse tomato. I am married to a man who has lived up north for more than half his life but he heard blueberry muffins and craved a staple of his hometown. So fried pork chops was on the menu!

The muffins. I don’t usually have bush berries, but a friend brought them and so I made slightly crumbly muffins:

The tomato hanging out in an olive oil flavored with garden basil and garlic:

The whole meal:

Today we had a very late and large lunch so dinner had to be lighter. Mr. SMT thought he might enjoy some more of that homemade jam on another biscuit, so that is what we had with a fried egg.

Last night’s dinner of a small burger on our house-made rolls and slaw didn’t get a picture. Too bad. It was a really well grilled burger.

8 Likes

These look lovely!

1 Like

Yeah, both Vietnam and Cambodia practise price for tourists and another price for local, it is worst in Cambodia, as most restaurants we went practise the more or less the same “tourist” price. Entry 5 USD, Main 7-15 USD etc. I only bargained once in Vietnam, when we were eating seafood, we chose the seafood according to the weight, and I bargained to lower the price. Well most of the time, if we didn’t like the price, we just leave after reading the online menu. In the past, there were still some bargaining in Vietnam, now you bargained, they ignored you… everybody knows the price with internet now.